• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone post a picture of Wolverine from Hulk #180

111 posts in this topic

cameo, 1st appearance, 1st full appearance, 1st story. No matter how you wanna call it, when I look at hulk 180 to me it feels like a 1st appearance of wolverine for one reason, He interacts with other characters and effects the story. He talks to Hulk and wendigo, they pause what they are doing and look over which effects the current story. Take for instance detective 26 or more fun 51, which feels alot more like an ad then an actual appearance. For example:

bailymorefun51page_zpsc421ecaa.jpg

I don't like the whole "in cameo" or "full appearance" thing. I understand that they are established descriptions by now and they're not going away. I just don't like them. But ultimately this is going to be an argument in semantics, anyway.

180 is Wolverine's first appearance. No other qualifier needed. First appearance.

181 is Wolverine's first story line and first appearance on the cover of a comic (a great cover). It is his second appearance, no other qualifier needed.

I think 181 will always sell for more, even if what I've written above were to become universally accepted, because I think that first cover appearance is that powerful. But I can see the gap in sales prices between the two, grades held equal, closing. Own both, that's the ticket.

Is Detective 26 considered to be Batman's first appearance? (shrug)

No, but I believe it has the first mention of Batman in a comic book. :devil:

There is mention for sure but is there not a panel showing him from the neck up - similar to the Spectre shot?

cameo, 1st appearance, 1st full appearance, 1st story. No matter how you wanna call it, when I look at hulk 180 to me it feels like a 1st appearance of wolverine for one reason, He interacts with other characters and effects the story. He talks to Hulk and wendigo, they pause what they are doing and look over which effects the current story. Take for instance detective 26 or more fun 51, which feels alot more like an ad then an actual appearance. For example:

That looks like a nice interior. I love the Moldoff cover on MF 51.

I wonder...

If an eBayer were to sell a copy of IH180, and tout it as the first appearance of Wolverine, including a picture of that last panel to prove his point and claim that 181 isn't the first app., what would the CGC boards' reaction be?

hm

-slym

That my friend would depend on whether it was a Well RESPECTED BOARDIE listing the book,or someone like Danny Dupak/Hammer/ whoever he is now/then.... :makepoint:

:jokealert:

I'll take a NM Hulk #1 for 600 please. :banana:

Why not 50 copies of Hulk #180 ?? :insane:

Didn't you hear,it's only a cameo. sheesh! :eyeroll:

lol

I think, the first time a book causes you to think about a character with a drawn likeness, and a written name attached to that picture.... hm

it should be considered, the characters first appearance. There is really nothing wrong with a characters first appearance not being his most popular appearance..... is there ?

Exactly!

So what is the difference then between a 1st cameo appearance and a 1st full appearance? Or are you all taking the stance it doesn't matter?

It seems like a challenging approach to say the suggested approach is:

1) Character makes at least one clear appearance.

2) Their name is mentioned in that appearance.

Then you would have to potentially factor things in like if they have a speaking part, or if they fully appear or if they're slightly hidden in the shadows when mentioning their name.

Ya, doesn't matter.... I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the reader. An uninvented character does not exist to a reader until the artist and writer introduce them. Where ever that happens to be first, I think should be considered the characters first appearance.

(thumbs u Very cool btw. I notice the Spectre panel comes after the words "The End" in the previous panel. Looks like an ad to me too, but is still an appearance :popcorn: