• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Block this INTL Bidder NOW!!!

11 posts in this topic

This guy is a scammer who is trying to use someone else's CC.

SCAM ID

This person seemed to be a legit bidder when he initially emailed me asking for a quote on S/H to Indonesia BUT..... He ended up bidding after I responded to his email and that was that.

Today, I received this email from him which is a crazy price for the item he was inquiring about.

Email from: email@beli.us

I will pay now with the shipping cost if you like, so

you can cancel the auction. I have ever bought nokia

8260 at $200 with the shipping cost.

Confirm me if you agree with same price.

I was jumping for joy to say the least, but the idea of him overpaying for the item began to trouble me. I offered to sell to him at a much lower price since that was an extremely high price. Then I get an email asking me to use the fastest FEDEX shipping option which costed $99.65!!! shocked.gif RED FLAGS? (1)Willing to pay any price for the phone. (2) Willing to pay a ridiculous amount for fast shipping. confused.gif I went with my instincts and asked him for his address. This is what he gave me.

Feny Safitri

Nogorojo No.12 RT/RW: 05/04 , Caturtunggal, Depok,

Sleman, Yogyakarta, Indonesia 55283

I decided to get his contact information via ebay to see how it compared to what he gave me. I got this:

User ID: itonk

Name: Nanang Ardinanto

Company:

City: yogyakarta

State: yogyakarta

Phone: 628122730347

What I found to be odd was the names given to me didn't match. Not too big of a deal since they are in the same city, BUT.... After requesting his contact information I looked at the bid history on my item and it showed his ID location as being in Thailand! I guess he noticed that I requested contact information and quickly "revised" his contact info.

After all of this, I receive an email from Paypal with a totally different name and no shipping address provided! mad.gif Here it is:

-Name: itong keren (The sender of this payment is International - Unverified)

-Email: itonk@itonk.biz

-Shipping Address: No Address Provided

Now let's break it down. ALL RED FLAGS! He is willing to pay any price, provided 3 different names, two different emails, unverified, international account, and has zero feedback.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

This loser has been dealt with! mad.gif After receiving that bogus paypal payment, I refunded the payment with the seller comment of "scam." Then I blocked his ID from bidding on my auctions, canceled his bids, and blocked his email address.

Here is the explanation I used for cancelling his bid:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3003346496

Rickdogg,

It's been a while since I posted anything here, several months in fact, but I've been lurking and this thread caught my attention. My brother an I run a small website that sells DVDs, and we have been the victim of credit card fraud. I don't really want to go into details, but let's just say that we were naive, now we know better, and the lesson cost us several thousand dollars. The fraud ring that got us also operates out of Indonesia.

The following is an excerpt from the Wall Street Journal from this past Monday, January 27, 2003, which I think might interest you:

...about half of U.S. online merchants don't take international orders at all. Others block all orders from countries they consider high-risk, which in many cases include Belarus, Indonesia, Pakistan, Romania, Ukraine and Yugoslavia. Organized high-tech fraud rings have been known to work out of these countries and have pushed fraud levels there sky-high, analysts and retailers say. For instance, some merchants claim 80% to 90% of orders originating in Indonesia are fraudulent ...

The same article provided the following red flags for merchants to look for:

1. Suspect ship address

Orders from Romania, Macedonia, Belarus, Pakistan, Russia, Lithuania, Egypt, Nigeria, Colombia, Malaysia and Indonesia have a very high incidence of fraud, and often have unverifiable addresses.

2. Untraceable e-mail address

In many fraudulent orders, the customer's e-mail address is often at one of the free e-mail services, which are relatively untraceable.

3. Expensive items

Be wary of big orders, especially for expensive brand-name items.

4. Multiple items

It can be a bad sign, for example, if someone orders three watches or three Walkmen at once, especially where the items have a high resale value.

5. Express shipping

Most fraudulent orders specify expedited shipping.

6. Shipping address differs from billing address

If you are selling valuable items, it can be a good policy only to ship to the billing address of the card.

7. Suspicious billing address

If the billing address is 123 Main St, New York, the order is probably fraud. You can use an online map tool to see whether the address can be verified.

8. New Site

Newly opened sites are more often targeted, perhaps in the belief that the merchants will be inexperienced.

9. Leave at door

If someone placing a very valuable order says just to leave it at the door, it could be a sign that a crook is using some unwitting person's house as a drop-off point. (Solution: Require a signature.)

I hope this helps!

Todd

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. What goes around comes around. These [!@#%^&^] will get what they deserve one day.

This pissed me off so much that I just emailed sellers of auctions that this [!@#%^&^] is bidding on. Truly a lowlife. mad.gif

I guess the bidder from "Thailand" was a fraud. mad.gif

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=itonk

Ebay.uk emailed me this:

"Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with this information. I

have reviewed the information that you have provided and wanted to let

you know that I have suspended the member that you alerted us to.

I am sorry to hear that the high bidder on one of your auctions is now

no longer a registered user. In cases such as these you should not go

though with the transaction but rather file a non-paying bidder alert

and relist your item. The non-registered high bidder will not be able to

leave any feedback for you."