• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England

67 posts in this topic

Not to minimize any of the horror stories on here, but I've bought from SNE twice. Once was a shortbox full of bronze age Spider-Man. The listed grades were between 8.5 to 9.6, depending on age. Most of the more recent stuff from the late 70s and early 80s was accurately graded, and in some cases, undergraded (for example, I had one of the 9.6s come back a 9.8 from CGC). Some of the earlier stuff was overgraded (some by a little, some by a lot). Anyway, I called Dan and explained what I thought about the grading on the older lots. I said that I still wanted the books, but that I would like a discount because I had paid NM prices for F+ to VF+ books (although there were few F+s -- most of the earlier ones were in the 7.5 to 8.0 range). I asked for a 25% discount (which brought the auction price to about VF guide) to make up for the overgrading. Dan said this sounded reasonable and PayPal'ed me the difference. Each of the books came in a 4 mil Mylar, which I appreciated. The books were also very well packed, which I especially appreciated. One of the books got jammed under some other ones during packing and was bent to hell, but he threw in a few freebies so I wasn't that concerned about that one book out of the roughly 150 books in the batch. Fortunately, it was a Spidey #297 -- pretty easy to replace in NM/MT.

I also recently won several FF lots and a Spider-Man lot from his recent offerings. All were accurately graded. These are really nice books and I got some of them for a nice price.

Fortunately, I've never had an experience with Dan like I'm hearing here. If I did, I'd stop buying from him immediately. That kind of customer service is inexcusable.

bumpit.gif

Here's the lastest email I received from SNE...

Showcase New England, America's #1 Comic Book Dealer

STOP THE PRESSES!!!! THIS IS IT!!!!! THE BEST COLLECTION NEVER TO HAVE BEEN PEDIGREED IS NOW BEING OFFERED ON EBAY!!!! 1100 Marvel lots. 600 DC lots. 600 Goldkey, CDC and other publishers lots. Six, 350 lot auctions. two weeks apart for the next 12 weeks beginning September 14, 2004. Included in this original owner collection are complete runs of every Marvel ever published, all Marvel magazines, substantial runs of DC, Gold Key, CDC and others. Nearly all of the books from late 1963 and on are STRICT NEAR MINT in State of preservation, color, gloss, suppleness and paper quality. The books are so "fresh" even the F/VF's "feel like boards" in your hands. The grade deductions are all structural....very, very minor in most cases. I have elected not to CGC almost all of the books not even the 9.4 and 9.6 s. The books have all been conservatively graded, so I will GUARANTEE that all of our grades will be CGC equivalents within ¼ of a grade. If they don't grade send them back for a full refund. The 1st auction is Marvel titles Amazing Spiderman through Fantastic Four. The 2nd auction is Marvel titles G Through S and the 3rd auction is the remainder of the marvels and the magazines. The 4th auction is the DC s A through J The 5th Auction is the last half of the DC s. The 6th auction is all other publishers including Gold Key and other titles. Many of these runs are the nicest runs most of you will ever see in your life. All come in either Mylar (most) or mylites. Having discovered the Winnipeg and Golden State Pedigrees I can tell you that this collection ranks very, very close in overall grade to both, but has substantially more depth and range than either of them. This is your chance to get high grade, non CGC certified books. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

See our Auction at

Ebay User ID: showcase-new-england

Thanks for your continued support, Dan and Cindy

Showcase New England, America's #1 Comic Book Dealer

Some people are good at the hype! And a lot of people believe it. He gets unbelievable prices on raw books - why people pay cgc prices for non-cgc books is beyond me. I have bought from them a number of times and it has been a mixed bag - the worst was a ToS 39 that looked vf but had a completely detached cover! They took it back no questions but I got the feeling that the books had not been closely inspected prior to selling.

They took it back no questions but I got the feeling that the books had not been closely inspected prior to selling.

Most dealers grade on eye appeal with the book in the bag.

I'm not kidding!!! frustrated.gif

That's why non-color breaking creases are irrelavent as are almost any defect on the back cover.

They took it back no questions but I got the feeling that the books had not been closely inspected prior to selling.

Most dealers grade on eye appeal with the book in the bag.

I'm not kidding!!! frustrated.gif

That's why non-color breaking creases are irrelavent as are almost any defect on the back cover.

I've bought books from Dan on ebay several times and that's the impression I get. At first glance the grade looks accurate until I take the book out and give it a closer look. Things like popped staples & hidden tears are the usual culprits. With the sheer quantity of books they list, I'm not surprised this happens. It would take me months to list their current auction offerings.

To Dan's credit, he has always honored returns after I explain my dissatisfaction. It usually takes a few e-mails & pictures though.