• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Baltimore with Fleas

3 posts in this topic

Or do I need to worry?

What can I add that Bagofleas did not? The tenacity we used in getting our books signed and turned over to CGC only worked because of our patience and the staff of CGC themselves helping us get it done. I fear what the NYCC has in store for me. I went last year and only had three items signed and it was hectic.

The two days of lines cut into anytime to look for those missing issues I was hoping to add. Of course the money I saved there only went to CCS and CGC themselves. At the end of the day I turned in over twenty books, 23 total if I am not mistaken. Without Bagofleas this never would have happened.

The NYCC will be do much harder. I am only doing one book for personal gain, about ten for Bagofleas, and then for the first time books specifically to flip. Of course those would be mostly by Hickman. I hope to make a bit of a cash return but only to pay back what I already paid out, and them the question will be, can I flip those books.

They all seem easily to be a 9.6, but who wants a modern 9.6, signature series or not. I know for me to sell them ill need them to be a 9.8. So do I have them pressed to get out any minor imperfections that I cannot see? And does a disclosed pressed book decrease the value? Either way, Baltimore was a great experience with friends but with NYCC I feel I am on the precipice of a giant maw.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14300.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

A very interesting journal that seems to open several topics.

First, it sounds like having a Team-Up is the way to go with long lines. We may not have much overlap in signature interests, but next time there's an event in the National Capitol Region I'm willing to help out. Speaking of which, and especially relevant to the New Mutants fans likely reading this, Rob Liefeld is scheduled to appear at the Virginia Comicon in Richmond on Thanksgiving weekend. http://vacomicon.com/

Second, you touch on a trend I've noticed too. "Who wants a modern 9.6, signature series or not?" I've dubbed this trend "grade inflation." Think about what the CGC 10-point scale translates into in words, then think about how you judged comics before the CGC 10-point scale. I've bought many comics that I would grade VF raw, but am also underwhelmed by books that were slabbed 8.0. A modern 9.6 is NM+, but the market suggests that most people would pay more for the near-indiscernable difference of a 9.8 NM/M. Subconcious drive for perfection that we hadn't quantified before the prevalence of the 10-point scale?

Finally, the contentious pressing. "Does a disclosed pressed book decrease the value?" I would say that it shouldn't, but I am in the camp that does not consider pressing "restoration." However, there is a possibility that multiple pressings may damage a book, so a 9.6 that has never been pressed has more chance of making it to a 9.8 than a 9.6 that has already been pressed. If that was one's intent, then one might be willing to pay more for book that had better odds of being pressed into a higher grade.

Thoughts?