• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Comics

22 posts in this topic

I always get the digital firsts before the hardcovers for stuff I read (Batman Beyond). But if the hard copy and the digital come out at the same time (like CHEW) then I'll read the hard copy. If I buy both I feel like I'm wasting money and am just buying the physical copy just to file it away.

I switched to digital for new stuff a few months ago and love it. No more fiddling with bags, boards and boxes. The ability to re-read without going back through the bags, boards and boxes thing. I find myself re-reading comics much, much more now that I'm digital. No more wondering why it seems impossible for the staff at my LCS to keep from jacking up every single copy in my pull, causing me to have to switch the books out for others on the shelf, just to have the counter person jack those up in the ring out process. No more chasing variant covers that I don't really need and almost no one else cares about. Ah, to be free from the completionist disease--it's liberating.

The guided view that comiXology has, either on an iPad or laptop, is an awesome reading experience. The only thing I miss just a bit is the smell of the comic, but new comics don't smell anything like old comics do anyway. I still will buy key issues in floppy, but those are very most likely going to be older comics, not brand new issues. And I still buy TPBs of my favorite runs for the bookshelf. But regular week-to-week issues are digital only now for me.