• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Tulsa -- November 7-9, 2014

48 posts in this topic

It was wall-to-wall fun at Wizard World Tulsa on Saturday, 11/8/14!

I met both Dale Roberts and Harley Yee for the first time. They are true gentlemen and professionals.

It was a pleasure to browse Dale's extensive Golden Age selection and especially to land some Fiction House books I had been seeking. Dale Robert's great rep is well-deserved.

Harley Yee was a fine host at his booth, striking up a conversation with me and my twin grandsons immediately, giving them a hard time because I was geeking out on his books, while they were going ADD on everything else in the room.

Victory Comics presented an amazing selection of $2 & $5 comics, including a variety of $5 Golden & Silver Age books. It was almost like legal shoplifting.

Our state of Oklahoma was well-represented. Robert from Tigers Comics had a great set up. And he's such a nice guy that I want to tell everyone, "Go buy something from Robert!"

It was also a pleasure to see old friends Michael Vance, who authored Forbidden Adventures: The History of the American Comics Group, among many other distinguished works, and R.A. Jones, who has written Wolverine and Captain America tales for Marvel Comics and co-wrote Bulletproof Monk for Image.

As earlier posts indicate, I was leery of Wizard World Tulsa being able to deliver the kind of comic book experience I hoped for. In the end, I was not disappointed. True, most people were there to see the stars of The Walking Dead, etc., but I was able to spend the whole day shopping and talking comics, while others got to do their thing.

Mike Zeck, Michael Golden, Neal Adams and a bunch of others were displaying and signing some fabulous prints. There's a special feeling when you're around such artistic greatness.

Michael Rooker (the late Merle Dixon from The Walking Dead and more recently Yondu in Guardians of the Galaxy) is one hilarious dude. He made a couple of Tulsa TV appearances in advance of the weekend that took our local reporters off guard, and his Saturday afternoon Q&A in the ballroom was a scream.

I was having such a good time throughout the day that I forgot to take many photos, but I did take a few, so I'll post them later when time allows. Needless to say, it'll be hard to top the sold-out Saturday experience, but I hope Sunday is a big day for Wizard World Tulsa and the many vendors, so that they'll come back and do it even bigger in T-Town next year.

My son-in-law, 3 of my grandsons and I all had an equally good time across the age span. Seven-year-old Caden noted how much his feet hurt after 8 hours of standing and walking...but he smiled in the back seat all the way home.