• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After unbagging and scanning bagged and boarded books. Need advice on rebagging

28 posts in this topic

Don't use "resealable" bags, if you are talking about the ones with the adhesive strips. They are responsible for more comic destruction than Frederic Wertham and mad moms combined. OK, that is hyperbole, but the admonition stands. :)

Great thats what I am looking for real advice. BCW recommended them as never being able to damage a book as the adhesive was on the bag and not the flap...But of course they make them

I have some of those, and while they are definitely not going to cause a tape-pull, I didn' like that the strip was halfway up the width of the flap when closed. OCD kicking in here ( :insane: ) but I can't stand the flaps being able to fold up. I find it unsightly and annoying (just like me! :D ) I'd still put a a couple of pieces of tape on the bag were I to use them at all, but I used all mine re-B&B'ing comics I was either selling at the yardsale or for giving away in some of my PIF offerings.

-slym (Junk donkeys unite!)

See! I knew you'd learn something if you hung around with me long enough.

I've been preaching about painters tape for years.

Cue Lizards and the Post-It tab crew.

I read this thread earlier, and couldn't be arsed - no one listens around here, they're too busy thinking about their next witty retort.

Steal post-it flags from work - they're free, and they don't ruin your books. :P

You can also just tuck the dam flap in the back, and use nothing, which is how it goes with the bulk of my collection.

I read the thread earlier, and couldn't be arsed - no one listens around here, they're too busy thinking about their next witty retort.

Steal post-it flags from work - they're free, and they don't ruin your books. :P

You can also just tuck the dam flap in the back, and use nothing, which is how it goes with the bulk of my collection.

But, but, the flaps don't fit, they are either wrinkled or folded at the ends. OCD here, but I find that unsightly and annoying. If the edges of the flap were beveled then this could be at least feasible.

hm

-slym

OCD.....None

Just want it faster and easier to rebag and board as they will all be eventually sold except for a certain select few

If the bag & board is old enough, or not from me originally, I just cut the tape with a knife and that way I don't have to worry about tape-pulls. Then the comic goes into a new bag & board, and lately I have been making tabs on the ends of the tape so all I have to do now is pull downward and the tape comes off easily (I use "magic tape.) I also use Silver-age sized bags even for moderns, as I find most modern-sized bags a little tight, and some so tight with a board in it that I am uncomfortable putting a comic in for fear of damaging it.

I hope this advice helps.

See, I 'm the opposite. I hate when moderns are in oversize bags. That gives the book opportunity to slide around and get damaged. I prefer a book in a firm bag and board. Yeah, you definitely need to make sure the bag and board combo is correct since if the bag is smaller than board then it could bow the board and damage the book too.

-slym

OCD.....None

Just want it faster and easier to rebag and board as they will all be eventually sold except for a certain select few

If the bag & board is old enough, or not from me originally, I just cut the tape with a knife and that way I don't have to worry about tape-pulls. Then the comic goes into a new bag & board, and lately I have been making tabs on the ends of the tape so all I have to do now is pull downward and the tape comes off easily (I use "magic tape.) I also use Silver-age sized bags even for moderns, as I find most modern-sized bags a little tight, and some so tight with a board in it that I am uncomfortable putting a comic in for fear of damaging it.

I hope this advice helps.

-slym

See, I 'm the opposite. I hate when moderns are in oversize bags. That gives the book opportunity to slide around and get damaged. I prefer a book in a firm bag and board. Yeah, you definitely need to make sure the bag and board combo is correct since if the bag is smaller than board then it could bow the board and damage the book too.

FTFY

:grin:

Also, I feel that the tightness of the bag can cause blunted corners/slightly bent corners and if thre is any overhang, it can bend that too. I find most modern-age-sized books will fit snugly enough in a SA bag, but you have to get the right brand. I can't remember what it is RN, but some SA bags are up to 1/8" smaller than others, and I get the smallest I can find. The only drawback is minor - the boards that fit these bags snugly (another thing of mine : the board should fit the bag snugly and not have room to jiggle in the bag) are a little shorter than the bag (I like the boards to go almost right up to the top of the bag.)

-slym

It's also the best solution if you are going to use tape on mylar.