• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie 50 in Sparkle City auction 7.0

23 posts in this topic

Aren't all the Roly Poly covers taken from MLJ splash pages, except for 15 which swipes a Blue Beetle cover?

Maybe most of them were although #11 looks like a swipe from Pep #54. I think that I have seen the #12 image, or something similar elsewhere.

I think the Archie correlation is a bit of a stretch for #11.

Here's Pep #54.

z-pep54a.jpg

And Roly Poly 12

z-rolypoly-11.jpg

Aren't all the Roly Poly covers taken from MLJ splash pages, except for 15 which swipes a Blue Beetle cover?

Maybe most of them were although #11 looks like a swipe from Pep #54. I think that I have seen the #12 image, or something similar elsewhere.

I think the Archie correlation is a bit of a stretch for #11.

Here's Pep #54.

z-pep54a.jpg

And Roly Poly 12

z-rolypoly-11.jpg

While thematically similar, it's not compositionally alike, and I wouldn't consider it a swipe, though perhaps inspired by it. It is interesting that the guy leaning against the fence has an S sweater on, which more than anything else indicates an Archie relationship. I take it there is no splash page inside that relates to the cover of Pep 54?