• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banned book week at CBLDF

25 posts in this topic

Dr. Balls heres the thing, its not the library making the determination, its a person filing a complaint against the library. Apparently in 2012 there were 464 challenges http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/top10 Captain Underpants was the number one challenged book (which is weird cause I loved those books as a kid)

Yes, and in many of the books on CBLDFs page faced a key challenge and lost in one library. One. I'm sorry, but as a person who has had work censored for a variety of reasons, getting up in arms about one book in one library amongst over 100,000 is Kardashian-level drama queen behavior. It's great awareness building, but that's it. The destruction of modern literature will not come at the hands of a lone middle school librarian in Nebraska who does not like Alan Moore's beard.

I just have to completely disagree. If one library censoring material is just fine, then a what level should we become concerned? And would it make a difference if that one library just happens to be your local library, or if the censored work just happens to be yours?

What the CBLDF is doing is rightly no different than what the ACLU has done for years, and that is fight against censorship at all levels.

While that "lone middle school librarian in Nebraska" certainly won't cause "the destruction of modern literature" (nice hyperbolic straw-man you set up there) that isn't the point. Censorship on any level is a violation of the freedoms we enjoy in this country, and to let it go unchallenged is at best allowing an uncontested first step down that slippery slope.

Yeah, a lot of those examples were "challenged" by parents after a child brought home a book the parent(s) disagreed with.

Does anyone think the librarians have a bit of responsibility? If a 9-year-old kid tries to check out Watchmen, shouldn't the librarian say no?

Or are they just robots behind a counter, for show? I used to ask my local librarian for recommendations all the time as a kid, and he or she would steer me towards my style of book but in my age group.

-slym

So how can a librarian possibly know ALL the books that are supposed to be unsuited and what is the criteria for determining which books are unsuited? I suppose all new books coming into the library must go thru some type process to determine which books are unsuited and which are not..Sounds like more local tax dollars at work here. Just wondering is all.

So how can a librarian possibly know ALL the books that are supposed to be unsuited and what is the criteria for determining which books are unsuited?

By being familiar with what comes in to their library?

I know, I am asking too much from a position known as a librarian to be familiar with what comes in to their library...

:doh:

-slym

:facepalm:

My home address is in Rosemount Minnesota and my daughters go to school in that school district.

And my 13 year old grandson love Bone and he goes to that school also. It's my job as a parent and a grandparent to over see what they are reading not some busy body who thinks they know whats right for everyone else. I don't mean the librarians, they have enough things to do and it's not their job to monitor what your child reads.

If you do not want your child to read it have them return it. Don't push your morals off on other people.

I, for one, am glad people are still questioning what's appropriate to put in the hands of children and I'd be happy to debate them about Jeff Smith's work. :)