• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Kefauver Committee CSS 22 Copy?

14 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, did Kefauver's Committee have the actual comic books in its possession or were there slides/photographs of the books used during the hearings? If the committee did have the comic books at some time or other, does anyone know whatever happened to them? Were they destroyed or placed on file in a Senate depository somewhere? The "Kefauver Committee CSS 22 Copy" would be priceless...

Thanks for any insight,

John

Out of curiosity, did Kefauver's Committee have the actual comic books in its possession or were there slides/photographs of the books used during the hearings?

A few photos of the committee looking at comics surfaced when google put the Life magazine archives online a few years back.

edit -- hm, not embedable, but you can see a bunch here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=comics&q=source%3Alife&tbm=isch#q=comic+source:life&safe=off&tbm=isch

Thanks Mark- if there's no evidence indicating that the books were destroyed, perhaps they still exist somewhere? The Kefauver Committee books would be quite a historical find. And the CSS 22 copy (providing it too exists) might very well be one of the most valuable comics ever.

I would love to have the copy they were looking at when Gaines said it wasn't in bad taste, though it would be if you they had drawn the severered ends of the arteries and spinal cord sticking out of the bottom of her neck.

From http://www.thecomicbooks.com/gaines.html:

Senator KEFAUVER. Here is your May 22 issue. This seems to be a man with a bloody ax holding a woman's head up which has been severed from her body. Do you think that is in good taste?

[shows copy of Crime Suspenstories #22]

Mr. GAINES. Yes, sir; I do, for the cover of a horror comic. A cover in bad taste, for example, might be defined as holding the head a little higher so that the neck could be seen dripping blood from it and moving the body over a little further so that the neck of the body could be seen to be bloody.

Senator KEFAUVER. You have blood coming out of her mouth.

Mr. GAINES. A little.

Senator KEFAUVER. Here is blood on the ax. I think most adults are shocked by that.

I would love to have the copy they were looking at when Gaines said it wasn't in bad taste, though it would be if you they had drawn the severered ends of the arteries and spinal cord sticking out of the bottom of her neck.

Senator KEFAUVER. Here is your May 22 issue. This seems to be a man with a bloody ax holding a woman's head up which has been severed from her body. Do you think that is in good taste?

Mr. GAINES. Yes, sir; I do, for the cover of a horror comic. A cover in bad taste, for example, might be defined as holding the head a little higher so that the neck could be seen dripping blood from it and moving the body over a little further so that the neck of the body could be seen to be bloody.

Mr. GAINES. A little.

Senator KEFAUVER. Here is blood on the ax. I think most adults are shocked by that.

"A little."

I would love to have been there.

Mr. GAINES. A little.

"A little."

I would love to have been there.

Thought bubble from Gaines' head: "This isn't going well..."