• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some help on this one

31 posts in this topic

Yes, they really did give me a radioactive pill. I believe the radioactivity attaches itself to problem areas to help highlight them during the scan. It was actually kind of eerie because they removed the pill from a special steel vial due to the radioactivity. I do go back in Thursday afternoon for the full body scan.

I've actually never sued anybody for anything. My line of reasoning on this one is that they failed to tell me anything about the suspicious lymph nodes until a year had passed and that in a year's time the cancer may have spread to other parts of my body. That's my wife's fear anyway.

And I really hope you find out what's wrong with yourself soon. There's nothing more frustrating than not knowing....

Sounds similar to the dye I was given, only more thyroid specific. The dye was glucose based and tumors tend to soak up glucose quickly, so they would get a large radioactive dose and show up on the scan.

Yes, they really did give me a radioactive pill. I believe the radioactivity attaches itself to problem areas to help highlight them during the scan.

The pill contains an ammount of radioactive iodine.

Your thyroid processes iodine as it makes hormones.

After your thyroid has had a chance to process the iodine they'll do the scan to see how much radiation is present in your thyroid (more radiation means it processed more iodine and made more hormones, less radiation means it processed less of the iodine because it had to make less hormones).

An overactive thyroid (one that makes more hormones) could mean a few different things... or nothing depending on what your baseline is. Im no doctor so I wont speculate, but thought you'd like to know the point of the radioactive pill you took!

Fascinating stuff. We look at my thyroid function monthly with nothing found yet.

Thanks for the info, I couldn't begin to guess why he would get a pill so far out, but if they are tracking thyroid function, it makes a lot more sense.

I just had a PET scan a week and a half ago. It was negative. I'm still not sure that I am happy about that as we still don't know why I feel lousy all the freakin' time. We are rapidly running out of ideas and "desperate" doesn't begin to cover it.

It's hard to determine from your original post how much is serious. Were you really given a radioactive pill? I know they inject a radioactive dye for a PET scan but it wears off after 12-24 hours.

I am all for going after somebody that has done me wrong but I don't know how much of a case you have. "Malpractice" by definition requires ill intent. I don't know what it is called if they just failed to tell you about findings.

I have never used a teaching hospital, but I would think that they would be better for the patient. You get minds that are fresh and full of ideas that are more likely to scrutinize every detail in addition to whomever is mentoring them looking everything over as well.

I'm going gluten and sugar free for a month. Not because we have an idea of what is wrong but because "why the hell not?" I am losing weight but not mass and feeling weaker all the time. I fear this means whatever is wrong is now attacking my muscles and destroying muscle mass so I don't see any outward changes with my weight. Despite my large size, I have always been shockingly healthy. No heart problems, blood pressure problems, diabetes, and even very active...at least until the cancer. Since then, activity has been steadily decreasing, weight has been steadily increasing (until the last 6-9 months) and fatigue is the center of my life.

I wish you nothing but the best and hope they find whatever is bothering you. I'd like to keep up with your findings as well. Like I say, we have no idea and I'm no looking for anything from anywhere.

Yes, they really did give me a radioactive pill. I believe the radioactivity attaches itself to problem areas to help highlight them during the scan. It was actually kind of eerie because they removed the pill from a special steel vial due to the radioactivity. I do go back in Thursday afternoon for the full body scan.

I've actually never sued anybody for anything. My line of reasoning on this one is that they failed to tell me anything about the suspicious lymph nodes until a year had passed and that in a year's time the cancer may have spread to other parts of my body. That's my wife's fear anyway.

And I really hope you find out what's wrong with yourself soon. There's nothing more frustrating than not knowing....

Just got some good news. The doctor called me earlier this afternoon and said that no further cancer was found. :acclaim:

They did confirm that 2 small pieces of thyroid gland tissue are still in there so I'll go in again next Tuesday or Wednesday for a very high dose radiation treatment to kill off the remaining thyroid tissue. The bad news is I have to stay off my thyroid medication for another week. The first 4-5 weeks weren't too bad but I've been dead tired all day long the last week. :P

I just had a PET scan a week and a half ago. It was negative. I'm still not sure that I am happy about that as we still don't know why I feel lousy all the freakin' time. We are rapidly running out of ideas and "desperate" doesn't begin to cover it.

It's hard to determine from your original post how much is serious. Were you really given a radioactive pill? I know they inject a radioactive dye for a PET scan but it wears off after 12-24 hours.

I am all for going after somebody that has done me wrong but I don't know how much of a case you have. "Malpractice" by definition requires ill intent. I don't know what it is called if they just failed to tell you about findings.

I have never used a teaching hospital, but I would think that they would be better for the patient. You get minds that are fresh and full of ideas that are more likely to scrutinize every detail in addition to whomever is mentoring them looking everything over as well.

I'm going gluten and sugar free for a month. Not because we have an idea of what is wrong but because "why the hell not?" I am losing weight but not mass and feeling weaker all the time. I fear this means whatever is wrong is now attacking my muscles and destroying muscle mass so I don't see any outward changes with my weight. Despite my large size, I have always been shockingly healthy. No heart problems, blood pressure problems, diabetes, and even very active...at least until the cancer. Since then, activity has been steadily decreasing, weight has been steadily increasing (until the last 6-9 months) and fatigue is the center of my life.

I wish you nothing but the best and hope they find whatever is bothering you. I'd like to keep up with your findings as well. Like I say, we have no idea and I'm no looking for anything from anywhere.

Just got some good news. The doctor called me earlier this afternoon and said that no further cancer was found. :acclaim:

They did confirm that 2 small pieces of thyroid gland tissue are still in there so I'll go in again next Tuesday or Wednesday for a very high dose radiation treatment to kill off the remaining thyroid tissue. The bad news is I have to stay off my thyroid medication for another week. The first 4-5 weeks weren't too bad but I've been dead tired all day long the last week. :P

Well, I swallowed a high dose radioactive iodine pill a little over an hour ago. It should kill off any remaining thyroid gland tissue left over from last year's surgeries. I'm in isolation (at home) for the next 2 days. I had to come straight home from the hospital and nobody can get within 7 feet of me. Can't even sleep in my own bed the next 2 nights.

Now where is that inflatable woman? I know it's around here somewhere... hm

Dude so sorry to hear this. My wife has a thyroid problem too. She's on Synthroid 150mg. I'd hate for her to get some lumps. She's in and out of the doctors more times than I can count. Good luck man.

And remember stay calm... :o

I'm just ready to get back on my thyroid meds. After 7 weeks off I finally get to take them again on Saturday. I started at 150mg and have been as high as 175mg. I'm currently at 125mg.

Dude so sorry to hear this. My wife has a thyroid problem too. She's on Synthroid 150mg. I'd hate for her to get some lumps. She's in and out of the doctors more times than I can count. Good luck man.

And remember stay calm... :o

I'm just ready to get back on my thyroid meds. After 7 weeks off I finally get to take them again on Saturday. I started at 150mg and have been as high as 175mg. I'm currently at 125mg.

My wife was at 175mg and she loved it, cause she loses weight.

Glad to hear the good news! :applause: