• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starlin Original Art: Thanos, Gamora, Captain Marvel, Warlock!

39 posts in this topic

Hi,

Here's my most recent art acquisition. A terrific (? best) page from the now-classic Avengers Annual #7, featuring Warlock telling the Avengers and Captain Marvel about how Thanos killed Gamora. A beautiful page, and I'm psyched to have it! Actually, I'm not sure I've seen another page with all of Starlin's main characters on it... pretty cool!

Enjoy!

aa7.jpg

Hi,

Here's my most recent art acquisition. A terrific (? best) page from the now-classic Avengers Annual #7, featuring Warlock telling the Avengers and Captain Marvel about how Thanos killed Gamora. A beautiful page, and I'm psyched to have it! Actually, I'm not sure I've seen another page with all of Starlin's main characters on it... pretty cool!

Enjoy!

aa7.jpg

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Oh, that IS nice! Way to go! thumbsup2.gif

You got a little bit of everything with this one! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, I liked this page for a lot of reasons. All the characters in the background, which are drawn and inked quite well I might add! And, I'm a big Thanos fan... and vintage Thanos art is becoming very hard to find these days. Plus, Captain Marvel and Warlock are prominent, not to mention the drama. But, really, it's the stellar composition, realistic penciling and awesome inking that made me go for it. I think I overpaid, but I like it a lot.

Yeah, I liked this page for a lot of reasons. All the characters in the background, which are drawn and inked quite well I might add! And, I'm a big Thanos fan... and vintage Thanos art is becoming very hard to find these days. Plus, Captain Marvel and Warlock are prominent, not to mention the drama. But, really, it's the stellar composition, realistic penciling and awesome inking that made me go for it. I think I overpaid, but I like it a lot.

Doesn't sound like you over-paid to me, given that it's obviouslly bringing you a lot of enjoyment!

Who did the inks on this one anyway? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif They did an excellent job!

Hi,

I frame some of them, but in general have most of them in portfolios. I like bringing them when I meet other collectors, so having them in a portfolio is easiest. I look through it all the time.

Hi,

The credits say Rubenstein, but I had heard that Starlin actually inked this page. I'm still trying to figure that out, and am in the process of asking a couple Starlin "experts." I suppose I could email Joe Rubenstein as well.... I have his email somewhere.

Hi Brian,

I didn't know that you were such a Warlock fan, by the way. I just saw your avatar. The whole cosmic storyline thing was really pulled off well by Starlin, and I find other people just can't do it. In others hands, those characters are very 2-dimensional, but with Starlin at the helm it's a whole other ballgame.

Starlin probably had intentions of doing all the inking, but couldn't meet his deadline on time if he did it all.

I am a HUGE fan of the cosmic Starlin stuff... It's easily some of my favorite stuff of all time. I love it. I've always been a huge fan of cosmic books in general: especially the Starlin Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock stuff.

When I was like 14 or 15 Infinity Gauntlet was out, and I thought it was the greatest story ever. Went back and read all of the back story that I could, bought the reprints of the Adam Warlock 70s stuff, and the Life of Captain Marvel trade.

I was awestruck.

On the DC side, I've always been a huge GL fan, and really enjoyed that stuff -- but nothing can match epic Starlin masterpieces -- nobody's done it as well since.

Funny..... Infinity Gauntlet is what made me appreciate this stuff too. I actually stopped reading from around 1989 until 1991, when Infinity Gauntlet came out. After reading it, I got sucked back in and started collecting Silver Surfer, etc. I bought the cover to Infinity Gauntlet #3 based purely on nostalgia, although I'm sure it's a good investment too!!

Funny..... Infinity Gauntlet is what made me appreciate this stuff too. I actually stopped reading from around 1989 until 1991, when Infinity Gauntlet came out. After reading it, I got sucked back in and started collecting Silver Surfer, etc. I bought the cover to Infinity Gauntlet #3 based purely on nostalgia, although I'm sure it's a good investment too!!

I'm surprised Fooliller hasn't posted this response...

whoa.gif