• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My mother, comics, and me - a Memorial

46 posts in this topic

Anyway, my apologies for the long post. It just helps to write about this and share the memories.

No apologies needed for anything of this sort.

Glad to hear your doing better. Sounded like a wonderful Service, I'm sure she enjoyed every bit of it.

PtTuller - Thanks for sharing those fine memories of your Mom.

They immediately brought to mind my own mother with whom I was very close with throughout my life until her passing from lung cancer at 61 in 1999.

Rather than the "typical" sort of suburban housewife Mom that the vast majority of my friends had for their mothers, mine was pretty much the "cool Mom". Who would always take my like minded friends & I to see all the cool movies of the day like JAWS, the '76 KING KONG, STAR WARS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, THE OMEN, CARRIE & many dozens of others during that era.

She actually had a lot of the same interests as I did. Or, I should say, I developed my interests while being influenced by her. She loved "spooky movies" & spent SO much of my childhood watching our local FRIGHT NIGHT THEATRE on the weekend late shows with her & my Dad. They also took my two older sisters & I to the drive in a couple/few times a month. With the vast majority of the movies we saw being genre fare.

She was also a voracious reader of genre fiction too. And she was the one who began to buy me stacks of comics & copies of FAMOUS MONSTERS, CREEPY, EERIE & other such magazines as a means in which to encourage my interest in reading.

She totally supported my collecting as I got a bit older & would be the one to take to the LCS as I became more serious about it & took me to my first ever convention sometime in the early to mid-'70s at the Statler Hilton in downtown Buffalo. Which was a VERY big deal to me & which I can still rather vividly recall all these years later.

She was always very supportive of my interests & was a great Mom.

Heck, she was even actually the one who would assemble & painstakingly paint all my Aurora Monster Models for me.

I could continue to go on & on about her, but I already feel as if I'vee hijacked your thread. lol.

Peace.

- Jim