• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accurate and confident grading...

57 posts in this topic

smartassedness

Counselor - Is this a word? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

To paraphrase the words of J. Jonah Jameson, I am going to copyright it. Everytime someone uses it, I want a quarter. acclaim.gif

fantasyfootballbono,

Thanks for the welcome. I can see from your comments that you can understand exactly where I was coming from. I did say that I had been lurking for a while on the boards, and yes, in that time, I've seen divad's style in threads.

So, based upon that, and the fact that I can be just as much of a stinker as the next guy, I thought I would have a turn on the swingset as well. If I came across as a , it was not intended to come out that way...I was mearly trying to give as good as I got.

The problem at times with being the 'new guy' on a forum, is that people think you haven't been mearly _watching_ for a while. Just because I _registered_ not that long ago, doesn't mean I wasn't reading. wink.gif

I try to treat others as I would like to be treated, but there's times when we all don't make the best first impression...and if this was what happened, I apologise. I've dealt with many irritable people, on many many forums over the 10+ years that I've been online. So, I guess I'm a bit jaded at times. Again, my apologies for that.

However, I still don't condone the actions of others, who decide that it's a good idea to fight someone else's battles, without letting that person at least attempt to deal with it themselves. Positive support, I'm all for, but I don't believe in just joining in on an attack on someone _because_ they're new.

Anyway, this is enough off-topic blather honestly.

I'm not here to set a _bad_ impression, and as I've said above, if people felt that way, I apologise for that.

David (divad) is a friend of mine in real life, not just on the boards, so I can tell you that a lot of what he posts reads differently if you know him in real life. He has a very sardonic wit and a dry sense of humor, and most of the smartassed comments he makes here are to be taken more lightly than some people take them.

Anyway, one thing about these boards that is perhaps different from a lot of other internet forums you might have participated in is that quite a few people on the boards know each other personally (from forum dinners at conventions or just hanging out because we're local to each other, etc.) and so we razz each other goodnaturedly and the general tone of the forum reflects that. Usually that general tone extends to posts directed toward newbies as well, because we get used to posting that way and we don't necessarily stop and think that we should try playing "nice nice" with every new person who comes along. There usually isn't any harm meant, but some newbies don't realize that. They think they're being attacked, when what's really happening is that they're being treated like everyone else gets treated and they're not used to it.

Rather than get mad at divad or anyone else, the better thing for you to do is to just accept that the tone of the forum is like this and not take too much offense to it. If you are going to try to change the tone of the forum singlehandedly, it just isn't going to happen. confused-smiley-013.gif

Again, welcome, and hope you have fun on the boards. Just a final tip -- you'll make friends a lot faster if you post scans of a complete run of Bill Willingham's Ironwood. Trust me.

yay.gif

-FFB

fantasyfootballbono,

Thanks for the welcome. I can see from your comments that you can understand exactly where I was coming from. I did say that I had been lurking for a while on the boards, and yes, in that time, I've seen divad's style in threads.

So, based upon that, and the fact that I can be just as much of a stinker as the next guy, I thought I would have a turn on the swingset as well. If I came across as a , it was not intended to come out that way...I was mearly trying to give as good as I got.

The problem at times with being the 'new guy' on a forum, is that people think you haven't been mearly _watching_ for a while. Just because I _registered_ not that long ago, doesn't mean I wasn't reading. wink.gif

I try to treat others as I would like to be treated, but there's times when we all don't make the best first impression...and if this was what happened, I apologise. I've dealt with many irritable people, on many many forums over the 10+ years that I've been online. So, I guess I'm a bit jaded at times. Again, my apologies for that.

However, I still don't condone the actions of others, who decide that it's a good idea to fight someone else's battles, without letting that person at least attempt to deal with it themselves. Positive support, I'm all for, but I don't believe in just joining in on an attack on someone _because_ they're new.

Anyway, this is enough off-topic blather honestly.

I'm not here to set a _bad_ impression, and as I've said above, if people felt that way, I apologise for that.

Again, welcome, and hope you have fun on the boards. Just a final tip -- you'll make friends a lot faster if you post scans of a complete run of Bill Willingham's Ironwood. Trust me.

yay.gif

-FFB

Ok, you lost me. tongue.gif

I have no clue about 'Ironwood'...*laughs*

Sorry.

I currently collect Modern comics, and the oldest comics I have are from 1982, if that helps at all. To be honest, the old, old, and old comics just aren't my bag. I realise that a lot of people here are into them, but I'm strictly a modern reader/collector. So, if comments like that just blow right over my head, keep in mind that I'm not well-versed in anything old. Except me of course.

'Cause I'm old....'n stuff. insane.gif

yay.gif

-FFB

Sorry.

I currently collect Modern comics, and the oldest comics I have are from 1982, if that helps at all. To be honest, the old, old, and old comics just aren't my bag. I realise that a lot of people here are into them, but I'm strictly a modern reader/collector. So, if comments like that just blow right over my head, keep in mind that I'm not well-versed in anything old. Except me of course.

'Cause I'm old....'n stuff. insane.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

flowerred.gif

yay.gif

-FFB

Sorry.

Do a Google search on Bill Willingham and Ironwood and you'll see what I'm talking about. headbang.gif

For what it's worth;

The main reason I was curious about whether or not people would grade a scan of a modern comic, is because it would be interesting to get an idea of what opinions were from people more experienced in this area than I am. I mean, I've been out of the comic-scene for years, and thus far, it's just been hell trying to get a grip on what I even want to read, let alone consider going after in back-issues.

The landscape has changed greatly since I was last doing this, because if you think back, when I was last collecting, the Commadore 64 was still pretty new. wink.gif

Since the speed of the internet is exponentially faster than that of my paychecks, I was hoping to get some advice before I could actually get my hands on a Grading Guide. My limited funds for comics have been going to just that...comics. Grading Guides ain't cheap, and if you want to sample a bunch of titles to see what's out there, sometimes the Grading Guide has to wait a wee bit. So, I wanted to get opinions on a modern scan, so that I at least have some starting points on which to apply to my 'Grading Education'

I've already done a lot of searching on the 'Modern' forums for people doing grades on books...but I have yet to find a thread doing so.. frown.gif

In fact, a few of the threads I did manage to find concerning grading talk, simply said; 'You should post that over in the grading forum' confused.gif

So, this is why I've decided to dive into the waters here, and see where it got me. Because, face it, at least people here are grading! I just get the feeling that unless it's from the 70's or older, most people here simply aren't even interested in looking. I figured it would be worthwhile to ask if that was true or not.

Do a Google search on Bill Willingham and Ironwood and you'll see what I'm talking about. headbang.gif

*does a quick google search*

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I get it! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I guess the more things change...the more they stay the same... tongue.gif

Between the OGG and here I've grown a tiny bit more confident in grading. Generally if I'm selling I mentally give it a grade and then knock it down a point or half a point.

It's funny but I have hard time with a grade the higher it goes. I don't have problems with the middle grades.

A seminar would be a great idea! Where's Newt? He'd be perfect to lead it.

For what it's worth;

The main reason I was curious about whether or not people would grade a scan of a modern comic, is because it would be interesting to get an idea of what opinions were from people more experienced in this area than I am.

OK, so post a scan of a comic already and I'm sure you'll get dozens of grading opinions.

Ok.

So, where would be the best place to post a scan to have it critiqued?

...and sign me up for the grading seminar. popcorn.gif

In this Grading and Restoration Forum.

Go ahead, start your own thread.