• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which came first JIM 83 or AF 15

75 posts in this topic

I have always understood AF 15 with Spiderman was the fourth Marvel hero comic after Hulk, Antman (TtA 27), and FF. Thor (JIM 83) was number five and Doctor Strange (ST 110) number six.

Am I wrong here? confused-smiley-013.gif

Mine has an 8/8 datestamp.

Sounds like some stores stamped on the date of arrival, and others stamped the date they planned to return them to the distributor, perhaps? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think Diva is right. There was a wide variance in the delivery dates due to different distributors.

I've seen FF #1s with dates stamps as late as 8/20-something.

I still dont understand why the comics needed to be stamped upon receipt, The distribs have records of what they delivered and when, no? And if the date stamps were to prove tpo the distribs when they received them, why couldnt the mom and pop stores just put any date thay want that qualified for credit at the last minute before shipping them back for credit??

I Still dont see any reason for the date stamps.

I think the date stamps were more for the benefit of the store employees so they knew when they could pull an issue and return for credit. I highly doubt many drug stores and mom & pop shops closely tracked when each specific title came in the door. A date stamp solves the problem.

I have always understood AF 15 with Spiderman was the fourth Marvel hero comic after Hulk, Antman (TtA 27), and FF. Thor (JIM 83) was number five and Doctor Strange (ST 110) number six.

I don't know. That's the whole purpose of the thread. Both books have the same cover date.

Just a brief aside, I have had a Fantastic Four 1 with a date stamp of July 28, 1961. Coolness, man!

Mine has an 8/8 datestamp.

blush.gif

I'd love that one.

8/8 is my birthday! cloud9.gif

I don't know. That's the whole purpose of the thread. Both books have the same cover date.

Was Amazing (Adult) Fantasy a monthly or bi-monthly title?

I've never owned any issue of the run to check.

If it was bi-monthly then maybe the story was "in the can" 2 months ahead of time.

Also they were ending the title so maybe all the stories for the final issue were written well in advance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I tried to get some response to a date stamp experiment on a few different boards last year.I didn't get much of a response,but I do remember etting date stamps almost two weeks apart on one book.

I'm going with Da Mans story until presented with way more evidence.

Stan may have commissioned the Thor story months after Spidey, but perhaps both were completed at the same time. Or Spidey was finished first and was slotted into AF after sitting around or the bimonthly deadlines made it so they shipped the same week.

So to Stans sieve like memory today (or in the 70s) he remembers Thor coming after Spidey, not at the same time. Didnt the switch in artists slow up the completion of the Spidey story too? Or was that just the cover? I cant remember these details either. Maybe Stan has a NORMAL memory and we just expect too much from him? Lets face it, when he was working on these stories at that time, he just had no way of knowing it was any more important than a few more stupid books to put out that month to feed the family.

Before my original question gets lost in the shuffle... I don't personally care which was CREATED first. I want to know when these books both appeared on the stands for PUBLIC consumption.

Obviously the discussion of which was created first is important and interesting, but all I want to know is when people were able to buy them.

Interesting question! A very quick glance through the heritage archives revealed a few copies hand dated or stamped

JIM 83

6/5 cover date - 1 copy

6/4 cover date - 1 copy

AF 15

6/5 cover date - 3 copies

6/4 cover date - 2 copies

As I say, I went though this rather quickly so I could have missed some, or not noticed some duplicate books, etc. FWIW, I didn't notice any cases where a copy of each book was obviously from the same pedigree collection.

It's a small sampling, but I was still surprised at the consistency of the dates. A wider survey that includes other sources would be worth doing.

Awesome. I wanted to do that myself but I haven't had the time since I posed the question. That means the date stamp data we have ties in with BB's recollection of both books appearing the same day.

Stan may have commissioned the Thor story months after Spidey, but perhaps both were completed at the same time. Or Spidey was finished first and was slotted into AF after sitting around or the bimonthly deadlines made it so they shipped the same week.

So to Stans sieve like memory today (or in the 70s) he remembers Thor coming after Spidey, not at the same time. Didnt the switch in artists slow up the completion of the Spidey story too? Or was that just the cover? I cant remember these details either. Maybe Stan has a NORMAL memory and we just expect too much from him? Lets face it, when he was working on these stories at that time, he just had no way of knowing it was any more important than a few more stupid books to put out that month to feed the family.

The first part of your argument doesn't work because Stan has stated both in Origins and elsewhere that it was after they got the sales charts on AF 15 that he started to think about how to do a comic about a god-like figure.

That would place the creation process of Thor somewhere around six months after he was already featured in JIM.

Kinda like him lamenting for years how he never kept his early books,yet mysteriously discovering a collection he never knew he'd had.

Now,the second part of your point is very likely true.I think the early Marvel SA books were created quite by accident and that Stan looked upon them as just this years fad,just as commies,bug-eyed monsters and alien crazes had swept the comic world prior years.Its just a shame that he "creates" fictional accounts of these days,and others read them and take them as gospel.Reading the accounts from TOOMC,there is no way you can jibe them with the fact that the two books appeared in the same

month.Having never noticed the dates on the covers myself,I would have been quite sure AF15 was out months before JIM83.

Awesome. I wanted to do that myself but I haven't had the time since I posed the question. That means the date stamp data we have ties in with BB's recollection of both books appearing the same day.

I just did a quick scan of comiclink as well and saw one copy of each dated. Interestingly, both books were hand dated 6/1 in a pretty similar style, and the "last update" for their comiclink listings is the same day for each book, so it's possible they are from the same OO collection.