• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Throwing Away Slabs

6 posts in this topic

Or Recycling Plastic

All those cracked cases were piling up in a corner. I can't fully understand why I was keeping them other than maybe to see how many I would crack. The first one I did had my nerves shaking like a student surgeon. After time I got comfortable and looked forward to the next one and the one after that. I even became crazed forcing myself to stop when I was finished.

My collection is growing a bit quicker than I can accommodate. I now have books to sell and my room is closing in on itself. I could either stop collecting or find a bigger place. The first one won't happen and the second seems unlikely. Of course after the NYCC I will have to slow done. I have two conventions I have plans of attending back to back in March.

I should gather what I'm willing to sell and place either on the boards or eBay. My thoughts are hopeful, my plans are weak, but all I need is to find that one diamond in the rough. I have 150 days to scrimp and save. I've done it before but I know I have to stop buying today so I can continue to buy tomorrow and make sure when I start cracking my slabs next year to throw them away immediately.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

For another bit of the NYCC please follow the following to Circuit42.com

http://circuit42.com/the-new-york-comic-con/

14462.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I throw away slabs too...but only if there are mutant books on the inside.

:)

Time to clean house buddy! I have a difficult time with space for collection too, I may have to recycle dome raw books that I don't care about...

Happy hunting!

Lee

I felt the same way with my first cracking. Now, after over 150 of them, I too am so much more comfortable with it that I must make myself stop or wind up doing too much.

Like you, I too am laying off for the rest of the year until March. I may resort to just buying some raws in hopes of getting issues worth trying for high grades.

I throw away slabs too...but only if there are mutant books on the inside.

Say it ain't so Lee! Don't even kid about things like that dude! :o

Now, had you said "I only throw away checkerboards", that I would understand. lol

Tnerb, all I can think about when I see a pile of plastic like that is how much money was just thrown away in grading and shipping fees. I know, I know, you want to have them signed and for that you need to crack the slab. Still. Too bad CGC doesn't offer a discount for returning the old slabs.

sig.jpg