• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered Jim Starlin's best work?

90 posts in this topic

Okay, this has really piqued my interest. Is there a single volume where I can read most, if not all, of Starlin's Warlock?

I have been collecting for 30ish years and have been aware of it since I was probably 10 or 12 years old but it never appealed to me. Having read this thread, though, I really want to see what it is all about. I only recently learned of Starlin's complaints about Marvel being published in the form of thinly veiled story lines and was curious about those but the praise for the overall series here has just increased my curiosity.

I remember Dreadstar and Company having a big push when I was a kid and gave the first couple of issues a shot and being disappointed. I would have been 14 or 15 and remember the guys at my LCS saying that Starlin was always a disappointment and that his stuff was just weird. It's amazing how much those comments have shaded my view of Starlin's work in the years since.

Okay, this has really piqued my interest. Is there a single volume where I can read most, if not all, of Starlin's Warlock?

I have been collecting for 30ish years and have been aware of it since I was probably 10 or 12 years old but it never appealed to me. Having read this thread, though, I really want to see what it is all about. I only recently learned of Starlin's complaints about Marvel being published in the form of thinly veiled story lines and was curious about those but the praise for the overall series here has just increased my curiosity.

I remember Dreadstar and Company having a big push when I was a kid and gave the first couple of issues a shot and being disappointed. I would have been 14 or 15 and remember the guys at my LCS saying that Starlin was always a disappointment and that his stuff was just weird. It's amazing how much those comments have shaded my view of Starlin's work in the years since.

In Black and White (and cheaper) this has everything including the stuff BEFORE Starlin took over: Marvel Premiere (1972-1981) #1-2, Warlock (1972-1976 Marvel 1st Series) #1-15, Incredible Hulk (1962-1999 1st series) #176-178, Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) #178-181, Marvel Team-Up (1972-1985 1st Series) #55, Avengers Annual #7, and Marvel Team-Up Annual #2.

1067749.jpg

All Starlin, in color, and in Masterworks format: Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) #178-181, Warlock (1972-76 Marvel 1st Series) #9-15, Marvel Team-Up (1972-1985 1st Series) #55, Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2.

This is what I personally have.

972305.jpg

They also collected it in a special edition 6 issue reprint comic in 1983, but the editing of the artwork (to try and mesh the stories together) was horrifying. It did have some new Starlin covers for it though.

I sold my last set of this a few months ago....

1096333.jpg

They also collected it in a special edition 6 issue reprint comic in 1983, but the editing of the artwork (to try and mesh the stories together) was horrifying.

That, and the Captain Marvel one, were absolutely terrible and some Marvel hacks attempted to turn this into a "Graphic Novel", whereby they took out most of the closing/starting splash pages (some of the best art Starlin ever did) and totally screwed it up beyond repair.

And then to make matters worse, the reprinted these abridged versions in TPB form. :facepalm:

I really wonder if this wasn't done to get back at or irritate Starlin, who wasn't exactly Mr Popular with the Marvel brass.

Warlock Masterworks Vol 2 is one of the best archival hardcovers I've ever purchased.

Exceptional in every way.

They also collected it in a special edition 6 issue reprint comic in 1983, but the editing of the artwork (to try and mesh the stories together) was horrifying.

That, and the Captain Marvel one, were absolutely terrible and some Marvel hacks attempted to turn this into a "Graphic Novel", whereby they took out most of the closing/starting splash pages (some of the best art Starlin ever did) and totally screwed it up beyond repair.

And then to make matters worse, the reprinted these abridged versions in TPB form. :facepalm:

I really wonder if this wasn't done to get back at or irritate Starlin, who wasn't exactly Mr Popular with the Marvel brass.

Horrific that Marvel-corp came away with raping an outstanding artwork like that.

People also remember how Jack Kirby was royally screeewwed by marvel all day long. Never did Marvel honour the man that gave them the most legendary characters ... :rulez:

For Marvel, my particular favorite was the Death of Captain Marvel GN.

Not to lose any cool points, but when a book or movie is well written or done, it can bring tears to my eyes.

This particular one did.

Dreadstar was stellar, but MGN #1 was done with so much love for the character (which showed), that it remains my favorite.

For Marvel, my particular favorite was the Death of Captain Marvel GN.

Not to lose any cool points, but when a book or movie is well written or done, it can bring tears to my eyes.

This particular one did.

Dreadstar was stellar, but MGN #1 was done with so much love for the character (which showed), that it remains my favorite.

+1

Great stuff!

Warlock Masterworks Vol 2 is one of the best archival hardcovers I've ever purchased.

Exceptional in every way.

+100

With pages from the 'lost issue'...before and after Comics Code edited panels... original artwork... all the fold out covers Starlin did from the Special Edition... one of the house ads for Starnge Tales 178....

Not to mention crystal clear reprints of the original stories!

One of the best Masterworks collections they ever did!