• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staples popping after slabbing?

25 posts in this topic

There was a recent thread about this, where the insides of the book shift, the cover doesn't.

popping the staple? was it more common in old style holders?

I'm looking for the thread, but I think it was a problem with the newer style.

Not exactly the same issue mentioned by the OP, but I had a problem with a few slabs recently where the cover slipped from the inner pages due to the stapling. Pics below:

7d0dc7bd6fe5038e41cc2418070cb14a_zps78dca833.jpg

e30f1d68c6a7a83d9ce640b5d5a32b78_zpsd6fca1c2.jpg

This has happened to me on probably 5 slabs this year, all with the new inner well.

Never seen that before. Have the staples actually pulled straight through?

I only have those scans so can't be sure that they are actually popped. The top staple is fine. Could it be the top to bottom shift you are talking of?

What I'm used to seeing is vertical tears at the staples from the cover staying in place while the interior book slides up & down within the tapered inner wells.

I only have those scans so can't be sure that they are actually popped. The top staple is fine. Could it be the top to bottom shift you are talking of?

What I'm used to seeing is vertical tears at the staples from the cover staying in place while the interior book slides up & down within the tapered inner wells.

Same as the pics i posted above?

Same as the pics i posted above?

Yup.