• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staples popping after slabbing?

25 posts in this topic

Not exactly the same issue mentioned by the OP, but I had a problem with a few slabs recently where the cover slipped from the inner pages due to the stapling. Pics below:

This has happened to me on probably 5 slabs this year, all with the new inner well.

This is not due to the stapling. Its the new-style inner well SCS. The books were almost surely not like that before they were slabbed. This is caused by a bad slabbing job. If the covers are held firm and the interior can slide around because the book is not being held tight enough overall, this can happen.

You should be able to tap that book gently and have the interior slide back down into the book. Book is still "ruined", no way to fix the staple tears. When this happened to me in the mid 2000 on about a dozen pre-unity Valiants, CGC stepped up and bought the books from after I sent them back.

Has anyone had a book do this?

I bought a 7.5 that I cracked, and was amazed to see a popped top staple. I'm giving the graders some slack here, and assuming it happened after encapsulation. I never would have cracked the pig out had I known, let alone bought it. Thanks to the boardie who did not mention it when he sold it to me. Sadly, it was clearly evident in the scan, so the the burden is on me. :sorry:

Has anyone had a book do this?

I bought a 7.5 that I cracked, and was amazed to see a popped top staple. I'm giving the graders some slack here, and assuming it happened after encapsulation. I never would have cracked the pig out had I known, let alone bought it. Thanks to the boardie who did not mention it when he sold it to me. Sadly, it was clearly evident in the scan, so the the burden is on me. :sorry:

lol

Not exactly the same issue mentioned by the OP, but I had a problem with a few slabs recently where the cover slipped from the inner pages due to the stapling. Pics below:

This has happened to me on probably 5 slabs this year, all with the new inner well.

This is not due to the stapling. Its the new-style inner well SCS. The books were almost surely not like that before they were slabbed. This is caused by a bad slabbing job. If the covers are held firm and the interior can slide around because the book is not being held tight enough overall, this can happen.

You should be able to tap that book gently and have the interior slide back down into the book. Book is still "ruined", no way to fix the staple tears. When this happened to me in the mid 2000 on about a dozen pre-unity Valiants, CGC stepped up and bought the books from after I sent them back.

Thanks for the info.

I've always managed to tap them back into place, but as you say - they're pretty much ruined. It has happened enough times that I now look for the old style well before bidding on a slab.