• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Velvet & Pretty Deadly covers

24 posts in this topic

Has Image lost their damn mind. Between the two of these titles there has to be close to 12 covers. Hell EoW has 5 covers (Phantom, Ghost, Forbidden Planet, Regular and RRP). I know I like to buy the exclusive and rare but I am getting killed buying all these books for cover art and trying to be a complete collector.

Yeah, I don't mind a couple here or there myself, but it has been getting outrageous. It's not just Image either, and it's getting to the point that every new book that comes out seems to have several variants, plus con covers, etc. It's pretty daunting to keep track of, and really puts me off some books before even giving them a shot.

I do agree that it has become somewhat overwhelming to try to keep up with and feels like we are being gouged a little. I only bought 1 PD cover and 1 Velvet. I did buy all of EOW and Letter 44. One of Letter 44's covers only costs $1 so it wasn't that big of an an impact of the old wallet.

How many covers I buy depends on the book and the quality of the art and I will admit, the flipping potential. It is getting very difficult to find a book that warrants buying 5 or more of since Image has opened up their return policy. I will buy each of the Rat Queens covers because they look great and I am buying several of this book anyway. I think readership will grow over time with this title and I'm more convinced each time I read it. East of West, Five Ghosts, and Todd come to mind as other titles that I buy variants on because I like them and I would bet they will also grow.

Speak with your wallet. It is the only thing a business will hear and respond to in my experience.

Has Image lost their damn mind. Between the two of these titles there has to be close to 12 covers. Hell EoW has 5 covers (Phantom, Ghost, Forbidden Planet, Regular and RRP). I know I like to buy the exclusive and rare but I am getting killed buying all these books for cover art and trying to be a complete collector.

Stop trying to be a complete collector, Pretty Deadly , Acme and midtown cover is horrible. I'm not going to get them, even someone just give it to me. we have to train our mind. as long as we have the covers we like, we have a complete collection. and stop buying these non-sense 2nd, 3rd, etc print.

I think producing over 20,000 of 4 different covers and the bi-monthly schedule absolutely killed Jupiter's Legacy and that's a shame. Mark Millar and Frank Quitely may not be everyone's cup of tea but they are putting out an incredibly good story that is languishing due to what I perceive as a lack of demand in the secondary market.

Nobody is talking about this book and to me, it has the potential to possibly be a Watchmen or Authority type story in the best case or a very memorable book at worst. There have been moments in books over the years I can't get out of my head like

Superman vs Elite, Action 775

Batman vs Bane Knightfall

Superman vs Shazam in Kingdom Come

JLA vs Prometheus or the Tower of Babel storyline

Issue #3 has a moment like these.

There are many, many more but you get the idea. I know that there is zero investment potential in Legacy but if you like reading a really great comic, don't let the covers scare you away.

Sorry for the rantrant

I've enjoyed Jupiter's Legacy as well, and was kind of surprised by a perceived lack of interest. Especially considering leading up to it's release I thought it was going to be a pretty big book. I really enjoy Quitely's work, and you're right about issue 3, it was pretty intense.

I know that there is zero investment potential in Legacy but if you like reading a really great comic, don't let the covers scare you away.

Fully intend to read it, but I'm going to trade wait. Very difficult to maintain interest in a story when you only read it bi-monthly. Monthly is bad enough for a series that you're really in to.

I know that there is zero investment potential in Legacy but if you like reading a really great comic, don't let the covers scare you away.

Fully intend to read it, but I'm going to trade wait. Very difficult to maintain interest in a story when you only read it bi-monthly. Monthly is bad enough for a series that you're really in to.

Good point. I keep having to go back and read or scan the issues for a refresher. The bad side to this is it could be late next year before the series is complete. lol

Good point. I keep having to go back and read or scan the issues for a refresher. The bad side to this is it could be late next year before the series is complete. lol

Yeah... but I can wait!

Cheaper and less expensive than buying monthly, more satisfying to read a whole story in one go, often get extras in TPBs... my pull list of monthlies is down to a tiny number of titles now.

Thank goodness I'm not an obssessive collector - paying for the same issue 5 times? Not for me thanks!

Superman vs Shazam in Kingdom Come

You nailed that comparison perfectly. Jupiter's Legacy is such a great book and while there's not much investment potential it's well worth the cover price every other month.

The more people who read Pretty Deadly and see that it's a dry dock , it doesn't matter how many covers there are, does it?

You mean you read Pretty Deadly and thought it was so good you needed to buy it in every version available? :o