• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 F/S on eBay - Check it out!

38 posts in this topic

Not all of them are. But it does work well on higher price items. You'd be surprised, but it's a fairly small group of people that will pay over $500 for a comic book. Many of us do not wish others to know what we are buying and what we are paying for it. Yes, you can track sales, and specific books, but it's a lot of work (especially with raw books.) Many dealers use separate accounts to buy and sell, but many do not. It's a confidentiality issue NOT to be confused with "private feedback" which is a whole different story. sumo.gif

Why, does it bother you?

Why, does it bother you?

Lots of people won't bid on private auctions.

And why is that? I don't see any stigma at all, nor do I see any disadvantage . . .

The possiblity of stealth shill bidding... gossip.gif

Why, does it bother you?

And why is that? I don't see any stigma at all, nor do I see any disadvantage . . .

The possiblity of stealth shill bidding... gossip.gif

I don't think that's an issue with reputable sellers. sumo.gif And anyway, I believe that most books have a generally accepted price range (at least those graded 8.0 and under). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For example, this book's reserve and buy it now are the current GPA numbers for high and low sales for this issue. shy.gif

For one thing, shilling is much easier to get away with since there's no way any alert bidders can spot "shilly" patterns.

Beyond that, since it's a practice associated with people like comic-keys, it's basically assumed to be a tool of the crooked. Here's a random quote posted here on the boards from about an hour ago on this very subject:

The private bidder i.d. thing always raises suspicions, although this seller does have half-decent feedback (none of which seems to have been for selling comics).

That's by no means a unique opinion. I've never personally bid on a private auction.

For one thing, shilling is much easier to get away with since there's no way any alert bidders can spot "shilly" patterns.

Beyond that, since it's a practice associated with people like comic-keys, it's basically assumed to be a tool of the crooked. Here's a random quote posted here on the boards from about an hour ago on this very subject:

The private bidder i.d. thing always raises suspicions, although this seller does have half-decent feedback (none of which seems to have been for selling comics).

That's by no means a unique opinion. I've never personally bid on a private auction.

As usual, we simply disagree. . . nothing new here hi.gifflowerred.gif

oh, and btw, any inference that my auctions and the one you linked to have anything in common is absurd . . .

I don't think that's an issue with reputable sellers. sumo.gif

To play devil's advocate, what if someone automatically excludes anyone that uses private auctions from the rank of "reputable sellers?" I don't go that far, but when I see a private auction, I automatically question the motivation behind that decision. It introduces doubt in my mind as to the integrity of the auction.

I don't think that's an issue with reputable sellers. sumo.gif

To play devil's advocate, what if someone automatically excludes anyone that uses private auctions from the rank of "reputable sellers?" I don't go that far, but when I see a private auction, I automatically question the motivation behind that decision. It introduces doubt in my mind as to the integrity of the auction.

I believe I explained my motivation quite articulately above. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

My experience is that high-priced books sell quicker, and for higher prices in that format. Keep your eyes on this one, and see if it bears me out . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As usual, we simply disagree. . . nothing new here hi.gifflowerred.gif

I'm just reporting the general consensus on private auctions. confused-smiley-013.gif

sez you? With all due respect to BurntBoy and GoldDust (who has bid on my auctions btw), that's hardly a "consensus" foreheadslap.gif

I'm just reporting the general consensus on private auctions. confused-smiley-013.gif

sez you? With all due respect to BurntBoy and GoldDust (who has bid on my auctions btw), that's hardly a "consensus" foreheadslap.gif

That's far from the first time private auctions have been discussed on these boards.

This isn't an assault on you in particular. You basically asked why someone would make a comment about private auctions, I answered the question based on what I've read here and have heard in private conversations. I'm just letting you know what people might think even if none of the negatives apply to you in particular.

That's far from the first time private auctions have been discussed on these boards.

This isn't an assault on you in particular. You basically asked why someone would make a comment about private auctions, I answered the question based on what I've read here and have heard in private conversations. I'm just letting you know what people might think even if none of the negatives apply to you in particular.

Sounds like time for a poll. You and I have been here long enough to know the consensus on private auctions, but a poll might make it clearer.

Hardly conclusive, and most say "not on an expensive book". Would they be more inclined to bid on a private auction for an "inexpensive book"? I think not. This leads me to believe that many people are still confused as to what it actually means.

And, would anyone who has dealt with me, be less inclined to bid on one of MY auctions, simply because I choose to make it private? Again, I think not. yeahok.gif