• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Issue

28 posts in this topic

I keep seeing ads for NextIssue and wonder if this kind of marketing-model will put any pressure on how monthly comic books are offered.

It's basically 109 magazine titles for a $10 a month ongoing fee.

Any thoughts on monthly floppies ever being offered like that? Would it open the floodgate for new readers if it were? Any downside? (shrug)

I think the 'passive' approach is interesting, new issues just showing up. Other than that...

Next-Issue-newstand-lg_zpsf48870af.jpgnext-issue-media-app.jpeg

I keep seeing ads for NextIssue and wonder if this kind of marketing-model will put any pressure on how monthly comic books are offered.

It's basically 109 magazines for a $10 a month ongoing fee.

Any thoughts on monthly floppies ever being offered like that? Would it open the floodgate for new readers if it were? Any downside? (shrug)

Next-Issue-newstand-lg_zpsf48870af.jpgnext-issue-media-app.jpeg

Considering how the comic companies are charging full price for digital issues, they'll fight against using this model till the end. :tonofbricks:

I can not see myself ever adopting the digital format for comic books. Why would I pay the same for a digital version that I can never touch and has no value when I could have a physical copy for the same price?

I can not see myself ever adopting the digital format for comic books. Why would I pay the same for a digital version that I can never touch and has no value when I could have a physical copy for the same price?

Agreed. Digital comics aren't NEAR the same as physical copies and they aren't a tangible, marketable, resellable asset either. I know you prefer floppies, but on high $$$ keys, I don't want to pay $500+ to read an Avengers 1, or pay $250 and get a 1.0 and have the pages fall to dust in my hands. That, is where reprints and TPB's come in...

I don't want to pay $500+ to read an Avengers 1

Umm, you'd only pay a buck or two for Avengers 1 on digital. They're not priced as a collectible, they're priced as a commodity. That's the nice thing about the digital back catalog.

When considering how the Convention scene is on fire, do you think a model like this would pull in those interested in keeping up with characters, universes or comics in general, but have little interest in the bag/board&box route? Are insanely long lines and surprising crowds an untapped market?

Obviously this is a reader/consumer marketing approach, not targeting the hoarder/investor customer. But would exposure to monthly floppies increase trade paperback and graphic novel demand down the line?

Would a 'thoughtless easy access' steady monthly taste lead to a larger audience across the board for participating publishers? As opposed to strip-mining fanboys?

i'd rather put out my eyes with knitting needles than read a digital copy of a comic book

I'm with you brother

Dang, better turn off Signatures and avoid all the major auction sites, or you'll go blind. lol

Might want to slowly back away from the internet all together. There's scanners about. :eek:(:

When considering how the Convention scene is on fire, do you think a model like this would pull in those interested in keeping up with characters, universes or comics in general, but have little interest in the bag/board&box route? Are insanely long lines and surprising crowds an untapped market?

Obviously this is a reader/consumer marketing approach, not targeting the hoarder/investor customer. But would exposure to monthly floppies increase trade paperback and graphic novel demand down the line?

Would a 'thoughtless easy access' steady monthly taste lead to a larger audience across the board for participating publishers? As opposed to strip-mining fanboys?

Hopefully it may lead to more people buying actual comics from brick and mortars.

In my humble opinion,any new comic fan is great,hopefully they tell all their friends and their friends etc.t

Maybe we will gain some hoarders(that don't wanna hoard what I do)

A few guys I used to work with bought and read online stuff only,on their phones.it horrified me but made me happy at the same time.

i'd rather put out my eyes with knitting needles than read a digital copy of a comic book

I'm with you brother

Dang, better turn off Signatures and avoid all the major auction sites, or you'll go blind. lol

Might want to slowly back away from the internet all together. There's scanners about. :eek:(:

I think any comic is a good comic lol

Just prefer to be able to smell mine :insane:

Like newspapers,more people get the comic fix online.

www.zinio.com also offers digital subscriptions like this but I don't believe they offer a bundle like nextissue does. The cool thing about zinio is my public library offers me "free" access so I get to read the mags I like: The Economist, Publishers Weekly, National Geographic, etc. in the best digital format wherever I want to.

Well, aside from the 6-month lag, it's really not different from the Marvel Unlimited service. For $69 a year IIRC (or $10 a month), you get access to all new Marvel comics, typically 6 months after they are published. I haven't really checked if the list that's offered is ALL they publish but I believe it is. I do not need to be current on Marvel happenings and my sub has been great. For several years I had completely cut off any Marvel buying for some reason and I have been enjoying catching up with recent stories (esp. since back issues are available through the service) and reading up current favorites: Hawkeye, Thor, Wolverine & the X-Men, Hickman's Avengers, etc. for a what's really a cheap price. Plus, I am reading Byrne's Alpha Flight, Supreme Squadron, etc. all for cheap.

I love reading digital comics. It was one of the reasons I purchased an iPad, because its size is close to that of a comic. Using Comixology's guided view, I find my self appreciating the art more than I do in the floppies. I may not be your typical comic fan, though. I buy hundreds of comics each month, but keep none of them. I read them then sell them. Marvel comics are perfect for me because I use the digital code to download the comic then sell the floppy. I wish all comics did this. DC's bagged comics with codes are garbage IMO.

If comixology offered some type of monthly fee for all you could read, I would heavily consider it, depending on the price.

Why would I pay the same for a digital version that I can never touch and has no value when I could have a physical copy for the same price?

Some obvious answers:

- portability: carry thousands of titles with you all the time

- instant access - no rooting through boxes/shelves

- not taking up loads of space in your home

- no degradation

- not everyone cares about touching comics

- not everyone cares about value for new comics that they just want to read

www.zinio.com also offers digital subscriptions like this but I don't believe they offer a bundle like nextissue does. The cool thing about zinio is my public library offers me "free" access so I get to read the mags I like: The Economist, Publishers Weekly, National Geographic, etc. in the best digital format wherever I want to.

My library does as well and I still find myself not reading 50% of the magazines I put in my cart for free.