• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge Golden Age Comic Auction in Pawnee, Oklahoma

46 posts in this topic

It's a strange phenomenon when GA comic lots go for more than the individual issues would cost, and it seems unlikely that someone is buying just to fill in holes in a collection. I've seen it happen on ebay plenty of times. Not long ago I recall tracking a lot of half a dozen decidedly low grade DC hero books, but early enough to be worth in the low hundreds individually. In investigating the potential value, I realized the seller had bought them all separately on ebay over the previous month or so. Sure enough, he sold the entire lot for about 60% more than he'd paid separately.

Interesting, and you never know! Though I've seen lot prices go for amounts that make one SMH, I don't think I'd have the guts to "assemble" a lot for X, and then put it up for bid in hopes of making a profit. More power to that person, they evidently knew what they were doing. :)

The phone bidder was a collector out of Texas who I won't name. He paid extremely healthy prices for what he won, which was just about all the hero lots. If the prices are still posted, look at the Captain Marvel/Whiz/Master comics lots.

I don't know the man, but in his defense, there's a huge divide between the going rate on a site like C-Link, and the asking price from some dealers (including some boardies). No one priced fairly ever has many issues for sale at one time.

True enough, there are plenty of professional dealers on these boards who will pay what many consider FMV for books that with their broader customer base and perhaps a bit of patience they obviously feel they can make a profit on, and not co-incidently they tend to be dealers that everyone respects, evidence that taking care of customers reaps rewards.

But some of the prices in that Pawnee auction made no sense at all.One of the crime lots sold for about $175 a book, and there were maybe 3 out of 31 books worth anywhere near that in the entire lot in VG, and only one of those worth 2 or 3 times that in. Unless they turned out to be high grade, most probably wouldn't sell for more than $50.

I went through a number of lots on Friday during the 5 hour preview session. I was there all 5 hours and the majority of the books were in the VG range. The rest were mostly towards the Good side with just a few being around VG-FN to Fine. There were no books even close to being VF. So this just backs up what you're saying.

I had a set figure in mind for many of the lots as to what they would guide for and a % of that for what I would pay up to. Many of the lots went for 4-5 times what I was willing to pay. (shrug)

So I may have missed it, but what lots did you all pick up?

I got the Lois Lane #2, the Bob Hope lot, the Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis lot, the Mr. District Attorney lot and the early Uncle Scrooges. Nothing special but felt they were good buys for what I paid for them.