• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Bronze Age Writers?

23 posts in this topic

The Flash was the first book I really got into when I got into comics as a hobby. I still remember my mom asking if I wanted a comic book or something when we were in a newsstand one day, and picking Flash #285 off the rack. Flash battles the Trickster. Then the next month the debut of the Rainbow Raider. Then a 3-part Dr. Alchemy story. When I discovered comic shops, I was able to find a Reverse-Flash story I had just missed, and the awesome 9-issue Clive Barkin storyline that included the death of Iris Allen. Superheroics always involving some use of Flash's speed and "complete molecular control of his body," coupled with a conscious effort to move Barry Allen from straightedge, crewcut police scientist to swinging single guy for the 80s. So I guess you could say I liked Cary Bates's run on the book. I reread all my Flashes a year ago and I guess my critical standards have risen, but I can't say I didn't love almost every issue.

And Marv Wolfman, too. Teen Titans was great, especially #38 "Who Is Donna Troy?"

I am a bit surprised that Gerry Conway is not on more lists. His run on ASM included some of the more important issues of the time and these are still exceptional today.

I'm not a big fan of Conway, at least the work he did on Spidey, one of my three most favorite titles. I suppose I could give him some due, and propose that his "groundbreaking" willingness to kill a major character opened the door to more gritty, realistic books that came later. I could also be charitable, and propose that he had no chance with this title, since Stan's work on it was the definitive treatment of the nerdy, angst-ridden, wisecracking teenager as superhero.

But I won't smirk.gif

I agree about Conway. While he was the main Spidey writer during my formative

days, and I have a soft spot for that era, there were many Marvel writers of the

1970's who were serviceable but not great. Conway, Bill Mantlo, etc. They were

able to crank out stories with the Marvel style, just not very inspired.

When I read the Spidey Essentials in large chunks, I am amazed at how much

better Spidey 40-100 is than 100-140.