• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closer to a Decision

5 posts in this topic

Or Can I make it Two?

I have been giving clues to what my next set is going to be. I have decided to go after it, but I also decided to ask for another set. I need to collect what I like, what I'm passionate about, and everything else be damned. I tried collecting Ka-Zar. I tried to start collecting The Thing and Locke & Key. I even attempted the copper age first appearances. The latter being one I will attempt again, but for the time being I just compiled a list of books, 45 to be exact. Twenty are from Marvel and 25 are from DC. Yes Lee K. You read that correctly, and Tarzan might be my first one.

Without telling you my primary set, my secondary will be books from my birth month. Bagofleas also helped me decide on this. We chatted about his birth month, and me, mine. I got excited. I looked at some of these books and my excitement grew. There will be some difficulty gaining these, but I am seriously looking forward to getting these books. Some I might have to find and send them in myself, something I am trying to do with the last two New Mutants I need.

My first collectible CGC book was $45. I vowed never to spend more than that. That is no longer the case. I have spent more, much more, and being forty one years old, these books, this new set I'll begin collecting in the new year won't be cheap. But could I truly be able to collect two make believe sets? Can I collect almost 100 books from scratch much like the New Mutants set? And does the clue below help you guess my next set?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14648.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Was there a title, an X-Men related title that took place on Genosha?

Or is it a Savage Land/Kazar related set?

Or is it Devil Dinosaur?

Is there a King Kong comic?

Jurassic Park? Can't be since that is not Copper Age.

Or Island of the Misfit Toys? :)

Birthday set sounds cool. I remember Shivabali writing a journal about birthday sets and I believe he included a link with all issues published from a particular month/year from all publishers and not just DC and Marvel. I remember this because from that link I realized out of all the available comics from my birth month/year, the only one that intrigued me was Thor 166, the 2nd Full Appearance of Him/Adam Warlock. But the other titles/issues published for that month/year were simply generic that did not evoke any interest in me. And sadly, on my birth month/year, pricing switched from 12 cents the previous month, to 15 cents, and for some reason, I am not a fan of the 15 cent issues. For me it was any other cover price but 15 cents... and I don't know why. Which is the reason I never bought Thor 166! Can you imagine? What do I have against 15 cents? I need a shrink!

I say, take your time building it... the thrill and fun is in the hunt and not the kill!

I'm building a set that when completed will be about 50 issues in total and I have only 7 of them so far. But I am in no rush... it's a joy to build it slowly and organically. I'm having fun with it, adding journals as the set comes along. And whenever the magic day arrives, when the set is completed, I'll look back at all the hard work that went into building it. And perhaps I will smile satisfied I gave it my full devotion and passion.

BTW: I still can't figure out this first set you are building. I have flunked from the Dark Knight Detective Academy.

SW3D

3D guessed both things that immediately popped into my head: savage land & Jurassic park...so, I don't know...

I think you should concentrate on one of the short runs that you could be competitive in right away, like Detective 1-26, or Action 1-100, or even Marvel Mystery Comics...

Or maybe Gunfighter for EC or Venus from Atlas.

I know books with girls, like Blonde Phantom or Sun Girl or Namorita...

Whatever you select, I hope you are able to continue to make friends like you have with your successes and failures along the way to having a incredible and recognized New Mutants set.

Lee K

Our talks have made me also consider collecting a birth month set.

There is one issue in particular I could pick up right now in a Pedigreed 9.6 WP and get double signed at next years Supercon!!

As far as your first set goes, I'm glad to hear you have decided to pursue it! Good luck on it and I will be sure to keep a lookout for issues in it and let you know when I see them!