• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Micro GA sales thread - Marvel SA/BA added

67 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, :hi:

Just a very small handful of GA stuff.

I will start with just a few books then I may decide to extend this into a Marvel SA/BA thread or start a new one later on.

:news:

Updated thread recap (with price cuts) on page 7.

My feedback thread is here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6122013

Rules: The first :takeit: has precedence over PM offers.

Payment by Paypal. No people on the Probation List.

Shipping: Since is fairly expensive from overseas, I’m using this approach which proved successful in my last SA/BA thread.

Shipping will be at exact cost up to a certain amount ($12.00 up to 0.77 lbs., $19.00 up to 2.20 lbs.) but if you spend:

– $100 or more: I will eat half the shipping.

– $250 or more: free shipping up to 2.20 lbs., beyond that I will eat half of it.

Many thanks for looking! (thumbs u

Comic Cavalcade Giveaway - Tomorrow the World (1945) - VG

$200 $190 $180

PQ is not so awesome but these are uncommon, as they came without a cover (very few pages, glued and with no staples, so I guess they were manufactured this way).

There are three copies on CGC census.

2mFEDTlh.jpg

BPzGQ7th.jpg

I purchased this slabbed but in the end I never know what to do with CGC books, and I didn’t want to crack it out.

Daredevil Comics #2 - CGC 4.0 OWW

$600 $570 $550 (OSPG = $686 in VG)

First appearance of London, by Jerry Robinson, the first british superhero. Pat Patriot by Reed Crandall, the Claw continues through issue #4. Femme Fatale villain in the Daredevil story. :D

Case has a pair of cracks on the bottom lower part.

This was part of the Harold Curtis collection, which is not a pedigree recognized by CGC (and thus not noted on labels):

http://www.comicbookpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#HAROLD_CURTIS

http://www.comicbookpedigrees.com/gallerydetail.php?item=126074

pZFghtNh.jpg

ayFkHquh.jpg

vzABWghh.jpg

And now, just for fun, I list a few italian comics of the wartime period.

“Il Vittorioso” had been one of the most important italian publications, as it made the choice (in 1937) to debut with works by italian writers/artists alone (other titles published syndicate material, like Flash Gordon or Mandrake).

Issues journal sized, 8 pages each. I priced those at about their current market value.

Il Vittorioso #42-1940

SOLD :news:

Great first page which implicitly shows the problematic nature of the relationship between the fascist regime and the Church.

A military chaplain is shown celebrating mass in a camp, but there are portraits hanging on the wall, one of which is Mussolini.

rv6kzqEh.jpg

Albi di Pippo #16 - Pippo e la Guerra

SOLD :news:

Slightly brittle pages. Lowgrade copy of the first album edition of this story (album is from 1949), "Pippo and the War". Part of a trilogy (begins with "Pippo and the Dictator", originally serialized in 1945), it offers a reflection on the then-concluded war, by the author Benito Jacovitti, which was almost forcedly enrolled by the germans in the SS and made it safely home.

Book is comic book sized, just landscape.

lk5UyXUh.jpg

How rare are the Pippos? I have a sister-in-law near Pisa and a brother-in-law in Pistoia. Where could they look for them? They are always asking what to get me for Christmas/birthday, and I have enough ancient Roman coins by now.

@returner, JohnT: Thanks for the interest, I truly appreciate it! (thumbs u

@returner: The Pippo books are not rare they usually go for $35-60 in midgrade to high grade. These were lowgrade so I priced them around $20-25.

The publisher (A.V.E.) material becomes more common after the war. The collected albums are from 1948 onwards, so they had larger print runs.

The first and last issue, however, are rare.

This is #1 (you made me realize I just missed a deal on eBay.it – oh well that is the price to pay for hunting Silver Age Marvels… lol ):

$T2eC16dHJHoFGl,OYNOlBSSEkq1Enw~~60_12.JPG

If you have a brother-in-law in Pistoia I can put you in touch with some friends of mine from Pistoia and Firenze which could suggest you some comic shop in the area, but those are better found in conventions dealing with vintage comics (the main ones are Reggio Emilia and Bologna).

@JohnT: The artist is Curt Caesar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Caesar

which was known to have an admiration for the German army but hated the SS. All the Vittorioso early artists are very peculiar, and reflected the cultural richness of pre-war Italy. Caesar had a strong sense of fair play, and his stories idealize war heroism and nationalism in a non-rhetoric way and in a very realistic way, very different from the more fantastic adventures of the Blackhawks or Airboy, so to speak. He was inspired by Alex Raymond.

Market price for Vittorioso issues from 1940-41 (like those which I posted) is about $15-25 each, except for the more rare ones. There are single issues, rare due to the war restrictions and events, which can go for hundreds (especially 1944, the more rare year run, consisting of only 21 issues).

I invited Sardo to ask whatever he likes: I have an ongoing research on this publisher, and I am very fond of another artist which is almost forgotten also here, Sebastiano Craveri:

m8NcqeEh.jpg

This issue is from Christmas 1940, when most italian men were at war, and shows a beatiful composition by Caesar and Craveri:

1bj1kAkh.jpg

Here’s an uncommon Pippo issue from my collection which reprints Jacovitti's "Mandrago", a genuine parody of Mandrake:

PzQyTQvh.jpg

And finally, a close-up of Isa from a panel in one of the issues picked by Sardo, for all the GGA fans (Isa, in a similar way to the GA Flash’s wife, followed Romano in his adventures, and eventually married him – she was a pretty emancipate character for 1940s Italy, but in a good way)… :foryou:

U0s1R68h.jpg