• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

of 9.9s and such

345 posts in this topic

RMA, I liked your post, it was a lot different than what I thought it might be. The only thing I HAVE to comment on in there, is the idea that my premise is flawed.

My premise, if it can even be called that, is seeking to upgrade books I have in 9.8 to 9.9, and deciding what way to go about doing it with the raw 9.8+ candidates I have, or will have.

It's a fool's errand. If you want 9.9s, just buy them.

I'm surprised you said this. You're one of the few people who understand the slight nuisances of grading. Especially how CGC grades. I think that you and I collect books from the same time period, where 9.9's and 10's are extremely rare, and that if you did come across a book you deemed to be 9.9 or 10.0 worthy, it has a really good shot at it. I'm 5 for 5 in that department, so far.

hm

Did you mean nuances...?

;)

I have probably 6-7 9.9s (books you would call 9.9s) sitting in 9.8 slabs. So, I won't waste my time sending them in, because CGC defaults...for all the reasons I stated previously...to 9.8, especially for these pre-2000 books.

I have an absolutely stunning X-Men #284 that I bought the day it came out. It is flawless. But, because of the way the artwork interacts with the spine (grab a copy and you'll see what I mean), there's no way I'm sending it in to waste the $25 to have it graded. It will get a 9.8 because of the "chatter" of the artwork at the spine, and that will be that.

But within the context of this thread, the advice has to do with trying to upgrade current 9.8s to 9.9s. And, my advice remains the same: you'll get far more for your money (and time is money) simply buying them, rather than trying to hunt them down in the wild. It's a big wild out there.

RMA, I liked your post, it was a lot different than what I thought it might be. The only thing I HAVE to comment on in there, is the idea that my premise is flawed.

My premise, if it can even be called that, is seeking to upgrade books I have in 9.8 to 9.9, and deciding what way to go about doing it with the raw 9.8+ candidates I have, or will have.

It's a fool's errand. If you want 9.9s, just buy them.

I'm surprised you said this. You're one of the few people who understand the slight nuisances of grading. Especially how CGC grades. I think that you and I collect books from the same time period, where 9.9's and 10's are extremely rare, and that if you did come across a book you deemed to be 9.9 or 10.0 worthy, it has a really good shot at it. I'm 5 for 5 in that department, so far.

hm

Did you mean nuances...?

;)

Stupid @$^#¥€% auto correct. I spell real good. More better then most.

I can spot 9.9's and 10's. I don't find them very often, as I don't collect moderns that come hot off the presses, and are gently piled in neat stacks. But, I still spot them from time to time. They stand out. If you are skilled and experienced enough, it can be done.

But there is no spotting a CGC 9.9/10.0 until it's in the case. :gossip:

So far, so good. 6DE4FDCE-BBAE-4A34-B4E9-198B0343E07B-13154-00000854074B10D2_zps243f6501.jpg

One small note...

I do believe you when you say you did not speak to me in a manner intending condescension. But just like the grading bias you mentioned, and peoples whose eyes simply miss small flaws, I would suggest to you the possibility that some of HOW you have said what you have said, might be considered by some condescending, regardless of intention,

Hey, if that's what you need to convince everyone else (and maybe even yourself) that you had the right to be offended by what you perceived (but failed to confirm) as a "condescending tone", by all means, please do. I can handle it.

I promise, no one will think you were offended...provided they don't look at your sig line. If you choose to be offended...or not offended, as you claim...by your perception of my comments, well...as silly as that may seem, it is your right, and I'll defend your right to feel that way.

:whee:

My advice, though, is to not take anything personally which is not meant personally, and if there's a question...choose to believe the best, until proven otherwise.

and outside of your own self-awareness.

That's a good one.

giggle.gif

Thank you for your advice and for defending my rights :) .

:popcorn: