• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibility and Investment of Copper/Modern CGC books?

65 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of walking dead?

Will it end up like X Files?

That show was on top of the world, now who cares?

EBEL 1911 makes a good point with deadpool and moon knight

Although i think dead pool is much more popular than moon might ever was or will be

Will anyone talk about dead pool in 10years? Or will he have a small cult like following like Moon Knight?

I def feel like sometimes im the only one in the room who even knows about Moon Knight.

Back to walking dead, i feel the 8,000 print run of the issue #1 will make it a collectors piece even after it has an X Files phase.

Any thoughts?

So I like Deadpool, even though I mostly missed the boat on him in my comic reading and collecting lapse. I've thought about picking up a copy of New Mutants 98, but even raw copies in worthwhile condition are pricey. I saw one for sale recently and thought, "Hmm, maybe that's the one."

But I wanted to do a bit of research first. Resist the impulse buy, all that. And then I see over 4000 CGC registered New Mutants 98.

Even with a raw copy, I feel like that's one boat I'm just going to let sail. I mean, 20 years from now when there are over 4,000 of these puppies floating around, looking for homes, what's going to happen to the value? Sure, I'll still like Deadpool and it'd still be cool to have that issue, but I'm not going to cling to my comics forever. At the least, I'll let some move out, others move in, and I'll hold onto certain ones, until the time comes that I unload them in my dotage.

Moreover, I see all these modern comics that are certified and going for $200+. And of course, they're setting there in ebay stores gathering digital dust.

Is this all just roman candles? Mind you, when I stopped reading and collecting CGC was not a thing. Upon my return, it is. I like the reliability it provides when acquiring copies, but when it comes to these copper and modern books, especially those titles of which copies are found in abundance, I just can't get it.

Lend me your insights, O' Veterans of the comic scene.

Personally, I do not find post 1980 comic books in general to be all that 'investment' worthy by the true definition of the word. These were horded en masse. Sure there will always be some must have issues, but for the most part expecting appreciation in these kind of books the same way that say pre 1969 comic books accelerated in value is not feasible.

In explication, I just started collecting AFA graded GI Joe toys and I am actually amazed at the total lack of demand for some of these items. Aside from some other heavy hitters like me most of these items are overpriced and just sitting on eBay. This is an excellent example to counter the so called 'rule of 25' theorists who believe that within twenty five years everything will be sought after and increase in value. Ironically, vintage Star Wars toys continue to be on the rise; while the later POTF 2 figures just sit gathering dust. Just some observations.

In conclusion, there are many excellent comic book dealers on this forum who specialize in this field of interest and would be far more experienced in this realm. Personally, I have no problem paying four figures for a vintage comic book. However, paying that amount for a post 1980 book would be unfathomable unless it was like a TMNT #1 (first printing), etc.

Just my opinion.

You do realize, of course, that NOBODY says what is bolded. You keep stating this and it is completely missing the point of what the Rule of 25 is.

What I - and everyone who has been proven right every single time says - is that what becomes collectible is what 12-17 year old boys were collecting 25 years previously. Not everything. Some things. You have to gamble, but if you hit the right one you will make huge returns.

I will comment further, but I wanted to know if you saw this article?mAs someone who has been an enthusiast of the author, I am the individual who posed the question in the article because I wanted to know his thoughts. Please let me know our thoughts on this article. Then I can respond to the rest of your statement.

www.harryrinker.com/col-1328.html

Wow i thought this was going to be a small article,

Very good read

Thanks for the link good sir!

Although i think dead pool is much more popular than moon might ever was or will be

Will anyone talk about dead pool in 10years? Or will he have a small cult like following like Moon Knight?

I def feel like sometimes im the only one in the room who even knows about Moon Knight.

Back to walking dead, i feel the 8,000 print run of the issue #1 will make it a collectors piece even after it has an X Files phase.

Any thoughts?

I want to focus on your DEADPOOL question.

DEADPOOL has already manage to pull off some things that Moon Knight never did that will make him continue to be very popular.

1. He appeared in a live-action movie with Wolverine. This movie get repeated showings weekly in America to millions of people. This gets him new fans daily.

2. DEADPOOL stars in a best-selling video game. Again more new fans.

3. DEADPOOL dominates the Amazon best sellers list for Marvel in Graphic Novels.

This is very important because this was the tip off a few years ago that Walking Dead would be big.The Amazon best seller list is what mainstream people finds cool, unlike the Diamond best seller list which is a barometer of what a small niche thinks is cool.

4. DEADPOOL is easier to understand compared to Moon Knight. Moon Knight is cool, but he reminds me of Hawk Man in that who is he? hm

We don`t have that problem with DEADPOOL.

So in conclusion DEADPOOL is about to get even hotter because of mainstream influence,while Moon Knight will always be a cult hero.

btw I like Moon Knight, and if they kept him tied to the Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz version,then Moon Knight would have stayed popular.

Any thoughts?

DEADPOOL has already manage to pull off some things that Moon Knight never did that will make him continue to be very popular.

1. He appeared in a live-action movie with Wolverine. This movie get repeated showings weekly in America to millions of people. This gets him new fans daily.

3. DEADPOOL dominates the Amazon best sellers list for Marvel in Graphic Novels.

This is very important because this was the tip off a few years ago that Walking Dead would be big.The Amazon best seller list is what mainstream people finds cool, unlike the Diamond best seller list which is a barometer of what a small niche thinks is cool.

4. DEADPOOL is easier to understand compared to Moon Knight. Moon Knight is cool, but he reminds me of Hawk Man in that who is he? hm

So in conclusion DEADPOOL is about to get even hotter because of mainstream influence,while Moon Knight will always be a cult hero.

btw I like Moon Knight, and if they kept him tied to the Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz version,then Moon Knight would have stayed popular.

Deadpool's interest may not have peaked, but the price realization of NM 97 is very, very limited. 2000 graded copies? Are you kidding me? This is a book that was overproduced during the peak of comic-production, the supply is there, and is not going away. You would be much better off going after a long-running series with a smaller print run....

Any thoughts?

Deadpool's interest may not have peaked, but the price realization of NM 97 is very, very limited. 2000 graded copies? Are you kidding me? This is a book that was overproduced during the peak of comic-production, the supply is there, and is not going away. You would be much better off going after a long-running series with a smaller print run....

Who said NM 97 which I would think you meant NM 98 had a print run of 2000 copies?

We all know NM#98 has over 200,000 copies in circulation, but it is the demand that makes it a hot investment.

Sometimes demand wins out over supply. An example is that

there are coins and sports cards that have over 1 million copies made, but yet the demand makes them worth money.

Any thoughts?

Who said NM 97 which I would think you meant NM 98 had a print run of 2000 copies?

We all know NM#98 has over 200,000 copies in circulation, but it is the demand that makes it a hot investment.

Sometimes demand wins out over supply. An example is that

there are coins and sports cards that have over 1 million copies made, but yet the demand makes them worth money.

Sorry that's what I meant...but I seriously doubt you'll see a very large increase in demand to meet supply. The comic market is very small, and then you're at a buyers market really interested in that character. And that market continues to get divided with each additional book; so there's really two supply curves we're interested in. An increasing supply of books competing for investor's dollars, and a decreasing supply of buyers.

I don't know any book with a million print run that has value? What does Spawn #1 sell for? A case can definitely be made that Spawn #1 is just as important, or more so, than NM 98, and it's safe to say that will never be worth much.

So I like Deadpool, even though I mostly missed the boat on him in my comic reading and collecting lapse. I've thought about picking up a copy of New Mutants 98, but even raw copies in worthwhile condition are pricey. I saw one for sale recently and thought, "Hmm, maybe that's the one."

But I wanted to do a bit of research first. Resist the impulse buy, all that. And then I see over 4000 CGC registered New Mutants 98.

Even with a raw copy, I feel like that's one boat I'm just going to let sail. I mean, 20 years from now when there are over 4,000 of these puppies floating around, looking for homes, what's going to happen to the value? Sure, I'll still like Deadpool and it'd still be cool to have that issue, but I'm not going to cling to my comics forever. At the least, I'll let some move out, others move in, and I'll hold onto certain ones, until the time comes that I unload them in my dotage.

Moreover, I see all these modern comics that are certified and going for $200+. And of course, they're setting there in ebay stores gathering digital dust.

Is this all just roman candles? Mind you, when I stopped reading and collecting CGC was not a thing. Upon my return, it is. I like the reliability it provides when acquiring copies, but when it comes to these copper and modern books, especially those titles of which copies are found in abundance, I just can't get it.

Personally, I do not find post 1980 comic books in general to be all that 'investment' worthy by the true definition of the word. These were horded en masse. Sure there will always be some must have issues, but for the most part expecting appreciation in these kind of books the same way that say pre 1969 comic books accelerated in value is not feasible.

In explication, I just started collecting AFA graded GI Joe toys and I am actually amazed at the total lack of demand for some of these items. Aside from some other heavy hitters like me most of these items are overpriced and just sitting on eBay. This is an excellent example to counter the so called 'rule of 25' theorists who believe that within twenty five years everything will be sought after and increase in value. Ironically, vintage Star Wars toys continue to be on the rise; while the later POTF 2 figures just sit gathering dust. Just some observations.

In conclusion, there are many excellent comic book dealers on this forum who specialize in this field of interest and would be far more experienced in this realm. Personally, I have no problem paying four figures for a vintage comic book. However, paying that amount for a post 1980 book would be unfathomable unless it was like a TMNT #1 (first printing), etc.

Just my opinion.

You do realize, of course, that NOBODY says what is bolded. You keep stating this and it is completely missing the point of what the Rule of 25 is.

What I - and everyone who has been proven right every single time says - is that what becomes collectible is what 12-17 year old boys were collecting 25 years previously. Not everything. Some things. You have to gamble, but if you hit the right one you will make huge returns.

I will comment further, but I wanted to know if you saw this article?mAs someone who has been an enthusiast of the author, I am the individual who posed the question in the article because I wanted to know his thoughts. Please let me know our thoughts on this article. Then I can respond to the rest of your statement.

Very good read

I'm quite amazed I got the link right given that my grammar and spelling on an iPad Mini is horrid! I hate 'auto correct' yet will not turn the feature off. You are quite welcome for the link.

That being said, there is another thread that discusses 'The Walking Dead' and it is about 190+ pages. Most of it is 'fluff', some of it is a rehash of what has been said twenty pages back, and other parts of it are completely off topic.

I just put up a couple more links - one of which mentions a broken figure on the card and asking what that figure will receive from AFA if they send it in.

Believe what you want, it happens. If it happens to you don't be upset when you have a rag doll of a figure on a sealed card.

Just to be clear o-rings are not the reason why GI Joe prices are down. By that logic, no one would collect anything, There is risk in anything you buy. Post vintage SW bubbles (after 21 backs) are more prone to yellowing; yet people are currently paying thousands for some of the later releases and I will not. I stopped at the just 21 and the rarities.

The ideology that all items become collectible after twenty five years is a fallacy; as was my original point. There are a gazillion product lines that languish on the after market. Just to name a few, Muppet Babies, Captain Power, Tales from the Crypt, Star Gate, and the like have not kept pace with inflation overall; let alone the cost of storage and maintenance. There are many toys and related items that I breathe a sigh of relief that I was not of those unfortunate fools who paid for a Rubbermaid tub to store items in which the tote is now worth more.

And my point it...

Part of the reason....

That people are staying away from AFA....

For Vintage GI Joe Figures...

Is that...

The figures are made of....

Cheap plastic...

Over time...

They are prone...

To breaking...

Even on the card...

Broken figure is more obvious and a detriment to a buyer than a bubble that starts to yellow over time. That slightly yellow bubble may be perceived as the buyer as part of the grade.

No one wants a broken toy.

Not quite sure why you have chosen to respond in this regard, but once again my simple point was about the market as a whole. The market is not governed by collectors who are afraid to buy something due to the item in question (i.e. vintage 1980's G.I. Joe figures) having possibly faulty o-rings. By that logic there are a lot of toy lines that would be in trouble and even other collectibles that would not even be collected en masse. As I stated, I have been collecting high end AFA items since 2006/2007 and never had an issue. Recently I pad $250 for an AFA 85 Starduster and an AFA graded (85) PayLoad (uncirculated grade) from the Defiant Shuttle Complex. I attempted to get a hold of a Cobra Commander mail in, but the seller claimed he 'lost the item.' Could it be due to the fact that the item only sold for $70? Hmm...unfortunately, I will never know.

Just my opinion.

Very good read

I'm quite amazed I got the link right given that my grammar and spelling on an iPad Mini is horrid! I hate 'auto correct' yet will not turn the feature off. You are quite welcome for the link.

That being said, there is another thread that discusses 'The Walking Dead' and it is about 190+ pages. Most of it is 'fluff', some of it is a rehash of what has been said twenty pages back, and other parts of it are completely off topic.

Same here, ipad mini

People must think im illiterate lol

Everyone is making such good points,

I just looked at the amazon and the board member who mentioned it was right.

What happens when the next big character comes out?

That is why i used the example of X Files and the Walking Dead,

Are these just fads? Or will they become a part of history like spiderman, or americana like superman?

I just put up a couple more links - one of which mentions a broken figure on the card and asking what that figure will receive from AFA if they send it in.

Believe what you want, it happens. If it happens to you don't be upset when you have a rag doll of a figure on a sealed card.

Just to be clear o-rings are not the reason why GI Joe prices are down. By that logic, no one would collect anything, There is risk in anything you buy. Post vintage SW bubbles (after 21 backs) are more prone to yellowing; yet people are currently paying thousands for some of the later releases and I will not. I stopped at the just 21 and the rarities.

The ideology that all items become collectible after twenty five years is a fallacy; as was my original point. There are a gazillion product lines that languish on the after market. Just to name a few, Muppet Babies, Captain Power, Tales from the Crypt, Star Gate, and the like have not kept pace with inflation overall; let alone the cost of storage and maintenance. There are many toys and related items that I breathe a sigh of relief that I was not of those unfortunate fools who paid for a Rubbermaid tub to store items in which the tote is now worth more.

And my point it...

Part of the reason....

Is that...

Cheap plastic...

Over time...

They are prone...

To breaking...

Even on the card...

Broken figure is more obvious and a detriment to a buyer than a bubble that starts to yellow over time. That slightly yellow bubble may be perceived as the buyer as part of the grade.

Not quite sure why you have chosen to respond in this regard, but once again my simple point was about the market as a whole. The market is not governed by collectors who are afraid to buy something due to the item in question (i.e. vintage 1980's G.I. Joe figures) having possibly faulty o-rings. By that logic there are a lot of toy lines that would be in trouble and even other collectibles that would not even be collected en masse. As I stated, I have been collecting high end AFA items since 2006/2007 and never had an issue. Recently I pad $250 for an AFA 85 Starduster and an AFA graded (85) PayLoad (uncirculated grade) from the Defiant Shuttle Complex. I attempted to get a hold of a Cobra Commander mail in, but the seller claimed he 'lost the item.' Could it be due to the fact that the item only sold for $70? Hmm...unfortunately, I will never know.

Just know that the o-rings ARE a big reason a lot of collector's stay away not only from AFA graded G.I. Joe figures from the 80's, but carded Joes from that time period in particular. Many a collector have witnessed first hand their well-cared for carded Joes falling apart in the sealed bubble, all because the o-ring became brittle and fell apart. It is not a question of if, but when it will happen.

I had a full box of Joe figures have their torsos separate from their waist because the o-rings became brittle and the figure came apart. Well cared for or not, the o-rings are a ticking time bomb with those figures.

As far as the other toy lines? Not many of them constructed their figures with the o-ring holding the figure together like the Joe line did. Star Wars didn't, He-Man didn't. Transformers? Nope. In this instance, the Joes were unique.

You like buying the graded carded figures, well that's good. Just don't freak out when pieces you bought for hundreds of dollars become customizer fodder. (thumbs u

Anybody buying carded Joe figures from the 80's is playing Russian roulette as far as their "investment" is concerned. If they were the figures you bought off the shelf back in the day, you won't have as much to lose. But if you're paying current prices, you playing with fire.

And my point it...

Part of the reason....

Is that...

Cheap plastic...

Over time...

They are prone...

To breaking...

Even on the card...

Just know that the o-rings ARE a big reason a lot of collector's stay away not only from AFA graded G.I. Joe figures from the 80's, but carded Joes from that time period in particular. Many a collector have witnessed first hand their well-cared for carded Joes falling apart in the sealed bubble, all because the o-ring became brittle and fell apart. It is not a question of if, but when it will happen.

I had a full box of Joe figures have their torsos separate from their waist because the o-rings became brittle and the figure came apart. Well cared for or not, the o-rings are a ticking time bomb with those figures.

As far as the other toy lines? Not many of them constructed their figures with the o-ring holding the figure together like the Joe line did. Star Wars didn't, He-Man didn't. Transformers? Nope. In this instance, the Joes were unique.

You like buying the graded carded figures, well that's good. Just don't freak out when pieces you bought for hundreds of dollars become customizer fodder. (thumbs u

Anybody buying carded Joe figures from the 80's is playing Russian roulette as far as their "investment" is concerned. If they were the figures you bought off the shelf back in the day, you won't have as much to lose. But if you're paying current prices, you playing with fire.

Thanks Joe,

I made it nice and easy for him to digest what I am saying. I appreciate someone else articulating the point. I have a couple of AFA SW figures tucked away for my personal collection but I stay away from the Joes for this very reason. Even when I have wanted to go big and saw a great deal on an AFA Joe that I really wanted (Recondo if anyone wants to know - Clutch and Recondo were my first Joes), the O-ring business kept me away. As you said, buying AFA graded Joes is basically Russian roulette.

And my point it...

Part of the reason....

Is that...

Cheap plastic...

Over time...

They are prone...

To breaking...

Even on the card...

Thanks Joe,

I made it nice and easy for him to digest what I am saying. I appreciate someone else articulating the point. I have a couple of AFA SW figures tucked away for my personal collection but I stay away from the Joes for this very reason. Even when I have wanted to go big and saw a great deal on an AFA Joe that I really wanted (Recondo if anyone wants to know - Clutch and Recondo were my first Joes), the O-ring business kept me away. As you said, buying AFA graded Joes is basically Russian roulette.

I would love to be able to buy certain carded figures that I liked growing up, but with the o-ring issue, no way. I'll just have to be happy with my loose figures, most of which I've already had to replace the o-rings. lol

After a while, it goes pretty quick when installing the new rings.

I didn't have a lot of carded Joe's but had some for close to a decade. I decided to send them to AFA and sell them a few years ago as I knew the O-rings were probably going to snap in the not so distant future. I had gone into my closet and found that about half the originals Joe's my brother had bought in the early and mid 80's were in 2 pieces in the boxes.

And my point it...

Part of the reason....

Is that...

Cheap plastic...

Over time...

They are prone...

To breaking...

Even on the card...

Thanks Joe,

I would love to be able to buy certain carded figures that I liked growing up, but with the o-ring issue, no way. I'll just have to be happy with my loose figures, most of which I've already had to replace the o-rings. lol

After a while, it goes pretty quick when installing the new rings.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but the above is the same reason I got out of collecting carded Mego figures.

I had a really nice minty set of carded Star Trek Megos plus a couple of the aliens, wish I still had them as they are my absolute favorite toys from when I was a kid.

But it's the same issue: everything's held together by a rubber band. I got tired of worrying all the time about whether I was going to find blister cards full of body parts one day.

Despite the fact that some collectors have actually had some very rare and expensive figures become spontaneously dismembered, carded Megos still seem to sell for pretty good prices. Not for me though, don't need the stress.

I did not realize this was a trend...

I stopped collecting MOC/MISB toys when I discovered my 1985 MOC GI Joe Duke floating in it's bubble in two pieces due to a broken o-ring.

On a side note, I picked that absolute wrong time to liquidate my collection. This was pre AFA and I had a LOT of case fresh examples, nearly the whole MASK run. Oh well.

I did not realize this was a trend...

I stopped collecting MOC/MISB toys when I discovered my 1985 MOC GI Joe Duke floating in it's bubble in two pieces due to a broken o-ring.

On a side note, I picked that absolute wrong time to liquidate my collection. This was pre AFA and I had a LOT of case fresh examples, nearly the whole MASK run. Oh well.

Yeah, most people didn't realize it was an issue because a lot of times the carded figures were kept out of sight. Only when they were taken out and inspected was the problem identified. There are probably still lots of carded Joes out there in pieces, and the owners are completely unaware of their current conditions. :eek:

And my point it...

Part of the reason....

Is that...

Cheap plastic...

Over time...

They are prone...

To breaking...

Even on the card...

Thanks Joe,

And this shows that you had no exactly what I was referring to.

In your own logic...

My point had NOTHING to do with O-rings or...

construction of a figure or toy line...

it could have been MASK or Battle Beasts noted in my reference...

instead of GI Joe toys.

My point was simply to indicate that not all vintage toy lines were experiencing spectacular returns due to the fallacy of the 'rule of 25.' That was all. I understand quite well about toy construction (thank you) and as stated; NEVER had an issue with this line in particular.