• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibility and Investment of Copper/Modern CGC books?

65 posts in this topic

Yes, I did. Once again, you seem to miss the point. Substitute G.I. Joe for any of the other many vintage toy lines that are doing horrid on the secondary market and you will understand my point. Twelve inch G.I. Joes are also doing poorly right now. Last time I checked they don't have an o-ring. Battle Beasts are not doing so well; even AFA graded examples are not immune. POTF 2 figures and anything past the original POTF line in Star Wars is pretty much dead space and always will be (way too much supply). Even the original TMNT line; albeit several pieces that are uncommon. I am sorry but I do not consider holding a toy from 1989 that I paid between $5-$10 for until the year 2013; paying storage on it, paying to get it graded, and then attempting to possibly sell it for a ten to twenty dollar profit a good deal. I personally can do much better in the financial markets. You also told me at what point on this forum that the Lego Death Star was out of production. These are horrid investments to buy as well. What is stopping Lego from re-releasing any set they already released before? This is what is starting to hurt the Lego market and why so many people are dumping these sets..

Let me ask you something, how many comic books are released on a monthly basis and actually how many will be worth more than their current cover price within 25 years time? Go back 25 years and count how many comic books are selling well above their current cover price. Not many.

PS: I would not call paying several thousand dollars for a Transformer toy a good investment right now. These only did well because few were saved due to what amounted to a high retail price. These are also the outlier and not the rule. Other items priced this high are very common from this time period. I proceed this theory with my massive find of vintage sealed NES games that I sold off over the years at a hefty profit; thanks in part to a speculative market that never fully developed.

No, I am not missing the point. I get your point. I am telling you that one of the examples that you use to support your point is wrong. (GASP) Try to take this in. You used an example of AFA Joes. Others and myself are telling you that as collectors we stay away from AFA Joes due to certain issues. You used Starduster as a reference. Yeah, good luck with that. You purchased a more sought after, higher end, RAH Joe MOC graded by AFA. Even at half guide, I would not sink any money into it unless I was going to immediately flip it due to the reasons that others and myself have articulated to you. YOU are missing what we are saying. Your use of AFA RAH Joes is a poor choice to support your example since there are other factors that you apparently failed to consider or perhaps did not even know.

When I mentioned that the Lego Death Star (a year ago?) I mentioned that I stashed one as I considered it one of the greatest sets ever made. I bought an extra copy for a love of the set. If it ever gets to a point where it is worth something, that's cool. If it doesn't, then I am cool with that too. At the time, when I was asked, the Lego employee, at the store, in Roosevelt Field Mall, Long Island (I know you like particulars) told me that the piece was ending production. I figured, "why not" since I got it on sale and with their double points at the time. I was wrong. Apparently it was not at the end of the production. Do I look at it as an investment? Not really, because I would not mind keeping the sucker.

Though Mint, you seem to have this "thing" in this thread. Can you ever admit if you are wrong? You have a lot to offer with what you contribute and I have learned a lot. However when someone disagrees with you, it seems that they are met with long winded and brow-beating posts. But, come on now. In this case you are missing what we are saying, or simply ignore or dismiss it for what I can only assume here is because you did not consider it yourself that when you went out and spent some money.

Those of us that responded to you about the Joes. We get the point you are trying to make. That not everything adheres to the theorized 'rule of 25'. We simply told you that an example you used had nothing to do with it. Get over it. You missed something. Move on or learn from it. We get it, all of us. You are a self proclaimed collecting god. You constantly tell us. Collecting God, apparently you missed something. It comes across as pompous at times.

To answer your other question, I could not tell you. I only buy current books that I enjoy reading like a TV show I enjoy to watch.

Kind regards right back

'Buzz'

Point #1: You are aware that the original first release of Starduster never came MOC as it was a mail away exclusive. This is a loose uncirculated figure with file card. AFA encases these in plastic large compartment cases much like the infamous Sears mailer pack of the Blue Snaggletooth and Greedo set are slabbed.

Point #2: I hardly consider $250 to be high end for anything; let alone a toy.

Point #3: I never proclaimed to be a collecting God as you suggest. I am merely attempting to illustrate an alternate viewpoint among those who are overexposed to speculation and ill-fated advice. I can tell you first hand that there are three key ingredients in building wealth; invest in what you know (i.e. stay within your 'circle of competence'); know the difference between an asset and liability, and learn to take calculated risks.

Addressing:

Point #1 - I am very well aware of how it was issued. You are still not following. Even loose, the figures can still 'pop' which is why Joe collectors steer away from AFA graded O-Ring figures. On the card, off the card it does not matter. Why would anyone pay for a high grade figure that may pop and require the owner to take the figure apart and replace the guts?

Point #2: You pompous . That is nice for you. You don't consider $250 a lot of money for a toy. For others it is quite a bit. There are Joe collectors that I have met that cannot afford to go above $20 on a figure. In terms of loose figures, $250 is on the high end for ARAH Joes. There are comic book collectors on this forum that for them, $250 is a lot to spend on anything. You really are becoming too full of yourself.

Point #3 - Unbelievable. Then follow your own advice and re-read what others and myself have said about the subject that YOU provided as an example for your claims. Then see if you can understand that you did not consider a few thing about your "investments".

At this point - you want to directly respond... Take it to PM... a couple of the above statements that other members have said in regards to turning this into a GI Joe fight have merit. However, if you want to keep it public, your statements will be met with my response.

You have a lot of posts that I find of value. However, it astonishes me that you seemingly cannot deal with the opinions of others and comments that counter your views.

With all due respect, if you feel a need to resort to name calling then I suppose you have no reasonable points left. There is nothing left to state. I am done with you.

Yes, I did. Once again, you seem to miss the point. Substitute G.I. Joe for any of the other many vintage toy lines that are doing horrid on the secondary market and you will understand my point. Twelve inch G.I. Joes are also doing poorly right now. Last time I checked they don't have an o-ring. Battle Beasts are not doing so well; even AFA graded examples are not immune. POTF 2 figures and anything past the original POTF line in Star Wars is pretty much dead space and always will be (way too much supply). Even the original TMNT line; albeit several pieces that are uncommon. I am sorry but I do not consider holding a toy from 1989 that I paid between $5-$10 for until the year 2013; paying storage on it, paying to get it graded, and then attempting to possibly sell it for a ten to twenty dollar profit a good deal. I personally can do much better in the financial markets. You also told me at what point on this forum that the Lego Death Star was out of production. These are horrid investments to buy as well. What is stopping Lego from re-releasing any set they already released before? This is what is starting to hurt the Lego market and why so many people are dumping these sets..

Let me ask you something, how many comic books are released on a monthly basis and actually how many will be worth more than their current cover price within 25 years time? Go back 25 years and count how many comic books are selling well above their current cover price. Not many.

PS: I would not call paying several thousand dollars for a Transformer toy a good investment right now. These only did well because few were saved due to what amounted to a high retail price. These are also the outlier and not the rule. Other items priced this high are very common from this time period. I proceed this theory with my massive find of vintage sealed NES games that I sold off over the years at a hefty profit; thanks in part to a speculative market that never fully developed.

No, I am not missing the point. I get your point. I am telling you that one of the examples that you use to support your point is wrong. (GASP) Try to take this in. You used an example of AFA Joes. Others and myself are telling you that as collectors we stay away from AFA Joes due to certain issues. You used Starduster as a reference. Yeah, good luck with that. You purchased a more sought after, higher end, RAH Joe MOC graded by AFA. Even at half guide, I would not sink any money into it unless I was going to immediately flip it due to the reasons that others and myself have articulated to you. YOU are missing what we are saying. Your use of AFA RAH Joes is a poor choice to support your example since there are other factors that you apparently failed to consider or perhaps did not even know.

When I mentioned that the Lego Death Star (a year ago?) I mentioned that I stashed one as I considered it one of the greatest sets ever made. I bought an extra copy for a love of the set. If it ever gets to a point where it is worth something, that's cool. If it doesn't, then I am cool with that too. At the time, when I was asked, the Lego employee, at the store, in Roosevelt Field Mall, Long Island (I know you like particulars) told me that the piece was ending production. I figured, "why not" since I got it on sale and with their double points at the time. I was wrong. Apparently it was not at the end of the production. Do I look at it as an investment? Not really, because I would not mind keeping the sucker.

Though Mint, you seem to have this "thing" in this thread. Can you ever admit if you are wrong? You have a lot to offer with what you contribute and I have learned a lot. However when someone disagrees with you, it seems that they are met with long winded and brow-beating posts. But, come on now. In this case you are missing what we are saying, or simply ignore or dismiss it for what I can only assume here is because you did not consider it yourself that when you went out and spent some money.

Those of us that responded to you about the Joes. We get the point you are trying to make. That not everything adheres to the theorized 'rule of 25'. We simply told you that an example you used had nothing to do with it. Get over it. You missed something. Move on or learn from it. We get it, all of us. You are a self proclaimed collecting god. You constantly tell us. Collecting God, apparently you missed something. It comes across as pompous at times.

To answer your other question, I could not tell you. I only buy current books that I enjoy reading like a TV show I enjoy to watch.

Kind regards right back

'Buzz'

Point #1: You are aware that the original first release of Starduster never came MOC as it was a mail away exclusive. This is a loose uncirculated figure with file card. AFA encases these in plastic large compartment cases much like the infamous Sears mailer pack of the Blue Snaggletooth and Greedo set are slabbed.

Point #2: I hardly consider $250 to be high end for anything; let alone a toy.

Point #3: I never proclaimed to be a collecting God as you suggest. I am merely attempting to illustrate an alternate viewpoint among those who are overexposed to speculation and ill-fated advice. I can tell you first hand that there are three key ingredients in building wealth; invest in what you know (i.e. stay within your 'circle of competence'); know the difference between an asset and liability, and learn to take calculated risks.

Addressing:

Point #1 - I am very well aware of how it was issued. You are still not following. Even loose, the figures can still 'pop' which is why Joe collectors steer away from AFA graded O-Ring figures. On the card, off the card it does not matter. Why would anyone pay for a high grade figure that may pop and require the owner to take the figure apart and replace the guts?

Point #2: You pompous . That is nice for you. You don't consider $250 a lot of money for a toy. For others it is quite a bit. There are Joe collectors that I have met that cannot afford to go above $20 on a figure. In terms of loose figures, $250 is on the high end for ARAH Joes. There are comic book collectors on this forum that for them, $250 is a lot to spend on anything. You really are becoming too full of yourself.

Point #3 - Unbelievable. Then follow your own advice and re-read what others and myself have said about the subject that YOU provided as an example for your claims. Then see if you can understand that you did not consider a few thing about your "investments".

At this point - you want to directly respond... Take it to PM... a couple of the above statements that other members have said in regards to turning this into a GI Joe fight have merit. However, if you want to keep it public, your statements will be met with my response.

You have a lot of posts that I find of value. However, it astonishes me that you seemingly cannot deal with the opinions of others and comments that counter your views.

With all due respect, if you feel a need to resort to name calling then I suppose you have no reasonable points left. There is nothing left to state. I am done with you.

You are correct. That was a bit much. I should have simply said something along the lines of "shame on you" and it would have conveyed a more appropriate message without the accusatory tone of an overall character trait. Either way, I feel that statement is out of line.