• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the old label love?

16 posts in this topic

Search didn't yield anything, so I'll have to ask, why are people into the old labels? Was grading considered tighter?

Notorious for grade bumps & PQ bumps upon straight resubs.

Of course...the possibility of the book having suffered SCS is much greater too.

CGC has gone through numerous grading swings.

They get loose, they get tight, they get loose, they get tight.

I've seen some pretty sloppy old label books too.

I think just by nature of old label numbers being finite and new labels being infinite, you're going to see more and more overgraded new label books.

For example, nobody resubs a loosely graded book but undergraded books might get resubbed and will end up in a new label.

Does that make sense?

I handed off an old label ASM #2 that was in a 3.0 holder to Joey to press. I am curious to see what that gets.

I also have an old label Avengers 4 that I may resubmit. (Last year I had it reholdered as the slab was cracked so it retains the same registry number as when it was with an old label.)

That is true; sometimes "gift-graded" books stay in their old label slabs. Or, if the a book's defects aren't "pressable," it won't get re-graded.

However, I prefer old-label slabs primarily because I think they're less likely to have been pressed a gazillion times, and I don't like the idea of books being pressed.

I don't know about anybody else, but in auctions I bid more aggressively on old-label slabs. Basically, I'll pay an 8.5 price for an 8.0, a 9.0 price for an 8.5, etc., unless the book was clearly overgraded based on the scans.

so I'll have to ask, why are people into the old labels?

Though oddly un-aesthetically pleasing, there is something subconsciously pleasurable about the design and graphic layout of the old labels. The minimalism of font size demands the physical act of squinting resulting in a chemical release in the brain stimulating a feeling of euphoria. This is a scientifically proven fact. Really.

Though oddly un-aesthetically pleasing, there is something subconsciously pleasurable about the design and graphic layout of the old labels. The minimalism of font size demands the physical act of squinting resulting in a chemical release in the brain stimulating a feeling of euphoria. This is a scientifically proven fact. Really.

euphoria :cloud9:

I always made an effort to collect old label books when the opportunity presented. Apart from the fact that they generally (but not always) tended to be graded tighter, there is a lot higher probability that they wouldn't have been pressed as they were encapsulated before the pressing craze went into hyperdrive.

This too. :cloud9:

I want whatever you are taking. :ohnoez:

Search didn't yield anything, so I'll have to ask, why are people into the old labels? Was grading considered tighter?

Had an old label Bronze Batman that i thought was very tightly graded. 8 years later i decided to do a crack and re-submit and it came back a 9.8. So for the reasons already given i think overall they were more tightly graded and were less likely to be pressed which is probably why we are seeing less and less old blue label comics.