• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel's Green Lantern 76?

30 posts in this topic

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire, is the height of 1970's comic book realism.

Sweet Christmas!!!

Actually, he's right in a way. You should go back and read issue #1 again. One of the BA's finest stories.

Luke Cage 1 is definitely a great read. However, saying that comic book realism reached its apex in 1972 doesn't say much for the remaining BA years that followed.

Well, perhaps, but later doesn't necesarily mean better. Some may argue that Guernica was the height of Cubism, but that doesn't render everything that followed to chopped liver . . .

Interesting point, and agreed to a degree.The changes from Bronze to Copper included a progression of realism that later reached new levels during the latter part of the BA with the introduction of Daredevil 158 in 1979. Copper continues to build on this realism with books like Miller's Dark Knight books in the mid 1980s. I just don't see realism either declining nor even remaining "stagnate" after an apex in 1972- especially when Miller's Daredevil run takes off in 1979. I would add that Cage 1 is a very special book since it juxtaposes realism with another key BA "ingredient" Marvel Comics capitalized on - a character representing a new realization that a more diversified society existed where individuals from different racial and ethnic backgrounds also read comics (which had a potential to make greater sales resulting in more profits). What started in the historic Adams/O'Neil panels where the Green Lantern is asked by a Black American about the assistance not provided to those who need it most perhaps reaches its apex with the first Black Superhero to get his own book- a book filled with realism. It still perplexes me as to why DC didn't follow Marvel's lead until 1977.

Respectfully,

John