• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 1 Scam on Craigslist

29 posts in this topic

I saw a variation of this same ad in the Baltimore portion of Craigslist on Friday.

Same picture with blurred number and same exact wording.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/clt/4218442309.html

This one is listed in Toledo.

A couple of emails exchanged then we spoke on the phone. It quickly went South. She claimed she was from Ocean City (a convenient 3 hours from me) but her number registered a Kentucky area code.

I spoke to her anyway and got the standard story.

- Needs quick money for Xmas.

- Doesn't have time to shop it around.

- Doesn't really know the value (of their professionally graded CGC #1 comic)

- Offered to do it via Paypal and she would ship immediately

I told her I would drive out to Ocean City with cash if she would meet me in a public location such as a Starbucks and would email me a picture of the comic with today's date written on a piece of paper so that I could verify she had it.

We ended the conversation with her promise to talk to her husband and that she would get back in touch with me. Of course, I never heard from her again.

Seems she is trying this scam in other areas.

Needless to say because the signs are so obvious, but avoid this one if you see it. Or mess with her. Whatever your preference.

I was just getting ready to post about this as well. But it gets worse . The same person has this item listed . A FF #1 CGC graded 5.0

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/clt/4211017182.html

Only $1200 . The going rate is $6500 . You can tell its the same person selling the FF #1 CGC 2.5 by the wording . The seller told me it was found in their dead fathers things .

I also spoke to her on the phone. Before I called, I researched what area code the number was from . That area code was from Kentucky.

502-883-8231 Jean was the number and name she gave me .

The woman told me she was in Indiana for Thanksgiving and wouldnt be back my way until Wednesday . I also offered to drive and pick it up . That was last Wednesday . She told me she was from Mt Clemens , Michigan

She mentioned selling it to someone via Paypal and shipping it .

I also went to Ebay and found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIGINAL-1961-FANTASTIC-FOUR-1-CGC-GRADED-AT-A-5-0-COMIC-BOOK-/321248012911?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4acbdfaa6f

A Low price sale for this book. Look at the feedback. " Fraudulent Seller "

The Ebay id is

junebugs72

It doesnt give a location for them other than . United States

So Please be aware and make others aware of this person and they seem to be using an FF #1 as their target . Im sure that will change to some other book .

So be on the lookout for anyone on craigslist selling a comic for a way too good to be true price. Always buy it in person .

DO NOT BUY IT SIGHT UNSEEN AND PAY VIA PAYPAL .

I should also mention. I didnt make it clear enough . The Ebay posting was for the book this Jean woman claims to have , and she and the Ebay seller are selling it for way below market value. Which makes me think they are the same person and the same scammer .

Why buy the 2.5 when you can get a Hulk 5.0? :whistle:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=7189662&Searchpage=1&Main=320674&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post7189662

I love that Boardies sniff this bs out quickly. (thumbs u

Yes i am glad i am in such company

I stand to gain untold insight by lounging around this forum lol

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=7189662&Searchpage=1&Main=320674&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post7189662

Ha! I have a strong feeling that is the same person who was "selling" the Hulk 5.0. "Jean Siemens". Anyway...

Ha! I have a strong feeling that is the same person who was "selling" the Hulk 5.0. "Jean Siemens". Anyway...

Well a Jimmy Siemens did pass away a couple of weeks ago..... :insane:

This person has been posting all over the west coast as well.

My friend was stupid enough to get scammed, lol

He sent a green dot moneypak. Greed does wonders for people's ability to think straight, lol.

If you google "Sadler comic scam" you will find lots of info.

This person claims his last name is Sadler.

I couldn't resist messaging: I don't think anyone believes you bro-the 'estate sale' 'I don't know what this is worth' (like you've never heard of ebay or google) just don't fly anymore....

Sigh.

I wish I'd known or thought to look around more on the Internet before I got scammed

The same individual has also been making posts in WA State and in OR. Same song and dancel; doesn't know the value of the book (which should have been a MAJOR red flag to me), got it from their father/estate sale/chanced upon it, needs money, usually posts in all caps, is frequently traveling etc.

The seller's ID was junebug, e-mail addressed they used wastrailblazer345@aol.com) and the shipping address was from Indiana. This was for a Superman #2 that in hindsight I should have known was too good to be true for the price they were asking for it @ $900. Communication stopped just as soon as they confirmed they'd received payment. Should have also been a dead giveaway they never used any name but "trailblazer" in their e-mail replies.

I've also seen them post an Amazing Fantasy 15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 well under guide. I filed a dispute with Paypal when it became obvious I'd been screwed, but I don't know if I'm hopeful I'll get anything back. I don't see how someone like this can continue on indefinitely without getting caught though becasue they have to be leaving quite a trail at this point.

I sent them a message that started with this...:

Hello, I'm on a mission trip to Africa and would like to buy this for my son.... HAHA lol

i want to send the "thanks you dear friend for getting back to me......or what ever variation of the nigerian prince scam is going on in my spam box.

The same individual has also been making posts in WA State and in OR. Same song and dancel; doesn't know the value of the book (which should have been a MAJOR red flag to me), got it from their father/estate sale/chanced upon it, needs money, usually posts in all caps, is frequently traveling etc.

I'd really like to see a clever person fool this sort of scammer into coming out in the open so that he/she could be exposed to public ridicule. Sort of a "Gotcha!" setup ala "To Catch a Predator."

Sigh.

I wish I'd known or thought to look around more on the Internet before I got scammed

The seller's ID was junebug, e-mail addressed they used wastrailblazer345@aol.com) and the shipping address was from Indiana. This was for a Superman #2 that in hindsight I should have known was too good to be true for the price they were asking for it @ $900. Communication stopped just as soon as they confirmed they'd received payment. Should have also been a dead giveaway they never used any name but "trailblazer" in their e-mail replies.

I've also seen them post an Amazing Fantasy 15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 well under guide. I filed a dispute with Paypal when it became obvious I'd been screwed, but I don't know if I'm hopeful I'll get anything back. I don't see how someone like this can continue on indefinitely without getting caught though becasue they have to be leaving quite a trail at this point.

I hope everything turns out ok for you David. If that had happened to me I would probably give up on the hobby for a few years at least. Oh and welcome to the boards.