• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do comics actually weigh?

44 posts in this topic

This was brought up in another thread, and I wanted to get a broader spectrum of results, if possible, to see where things really are - how much does a comic book weigh? I have a food scale, not really a postal scale, but I have measured it and corrected it against known weights and am no more than 1/10 of an ounce (less than 3 grams) off as far as I can tell, and used it to weigh a few comics today, both without and with a bag & board.

Wolverine -1 "Flashback" issue, 2.5 ounces/3.5 ounces

Ultimate Fantastic Four #16, 2.5oz/3.5oz

DC's Creeper #1 3D Lenticular Animation cover, 3oz/4oz

Another boardie claims comics weigh 5 ounces each, but didn't specify whether or not that was in a bag & board. Still seems heavy to me, and that is why I am starting this thread. I got that same Creeper, bagged & boarded and into another bag, in between 3 sheets of corrugated plastic, wrapped in bubblewrap and stuffed into a 10''x13'' envelope and it came to 10-1/2 ounces by my scales.

I'd like to see others weigh in (pardon the pun) on this!

:D

-slym

I used a postal scale and my creeper and several other lenticulars unbagged were around 3.5 oz depending on where it was placed on the scale. Nothing came close to 5

If you add a mylite 2 bag and half- or full-back, you get just under 5 oz.

That is why I gave both unbagged and bagged&boarded weights - didn't think about Mylars being heavier still, and Half- and Full-backs as well.

I wish RMA had said if that 5 ounce weight was the B&B weight...

-slym

Another boardie claims comics weigh 5 ounces each, but didn't specify whether or not that was in a bag & board.

-slym

You didn't ask.

:shrug:

Of course it does. Who sends out individual comics in a cardboard sandwich with no bag and board?

Someone add it to the list of mess Star Trek invented before it existed....

1) Cell phones

2) Hypospray (Injectable spray medicine)

3) Telepresence

4) Tricorders

and now:

5) Transparent Aluminum

Another boardie claims comics weigh 5 ounces each, but didn't specify whether or not that was in a bag & board.

-slym

You didn't ask.

Of course it does. Who sends out individual comics in a cardboard sandwich with no bag and board?

Sometimes, people "brick" books (like readers for the PIF thread) and one would need to know how many books are in a pound by that method.

;)

Also, I didn't start this thread just to point out that one thing about you, man. I could have asked you and if I had, it would have been a PM. I wanted everyone to join in on this and share the wealth of information. No offense intended.

:hi:

-slym

it came to 10-1/2 ounces by my scales.

hm

It really can't be done correctly for much less than 10 ounces.

:whee:

I wasn't trying to prove anything you said right or wrong. Someone else actually mentioned that there wouldn't be much protection by sending a comic va First Class, I just showed it can be done, seems we agree on that.

:)

-slym

Someone add it to the list of mess Star Trek invented before it existed....

1) Cell phones

2) Hypospray (Injectable spray medicine)

3) Telepresence

4) Tricorders

and now:

5) Transparent Aluminum

Actually, it did already exist, conceptually, and to some believers, in actuality before then. This is one instance where Star Trek may have borrowed from what was then current research. However, there seems to be 2 modern methods of creating "transparent aluminum" and technically, one is not actually transparent metallic aluminum but an aluminum based ceramic material.

See here for one approach using metallic aluminum

http://phys.org/news167925273.html

And as RMA referenced a cool and more practical version that is actually transparent alumina or aluminum oxynitride as a ceramic.

But I wonder if that's simply what this stuff really was all along seeing as it was an insulator and could withstand thousands of degrees of heat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlite (shrug)

Anyway back to the OP inquiry:

Comic Weights using postal scale +/- 0.1oz

Mid Silver Age: UXM #16 = 1.6oz

Late Bronze Age: ASM #202 = 1.5oz

Late Copper: UXM #263 = 1.5oz

Early Moderns: ASM #410 = 1.5oz

Mid Moderns: WD #3 = 2.3 oz

Late Moderns: Pretty Deadly #2 = 2.1oz

SupSpidey #19 = 1.8oz

Bags and Board weights

generic polybag = 0.2oz

generic board = 0.6oz

combined bag and board = 0.8oz

eGerber Mylyte 2 (standard) = 0.3oz

eGerber Fullback (standard) = 1.3oz

combined mylite2 and fullback = 1.6oz

combined comic and polybag/board = 2.3 - 3.1oz

combined comic and fullback and mylyte = 3.1 - 3.9oz

-slym

You didn't ask.

Sometimes, people "brick" books (like readers for the PIF thread) and one would need to know how many books are in a pound by that method.

Yes, but the discussion was about sending a single book...hence the "individual comics" part.

;)

Also, I didn't start this thread just to point out that one thing about you, man. I could have asked you and if I had, it would have been a PM. I wanted everyone to join in on this and share the wealth of information. No offense intended.

:hi:

-slym

None taken whatsoever.