• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do comics actually weigh?

44 posts in this topic

it came to 10-1/2 ounces by my scales.

hm

It really can't be done correctly for much less than 10 ounces.

:whee:

I wasn't trying to prove anything you said right or wrong. Someone else actually mentioned that there wouldn't be much protection by sending a comic va First Class, I just showed it can be done, seems we agree on that.

:)

-slym

Are you trying to say that my comics look fat in that bag?! :mad:

hm

I wasn't trying to prove anything you said right or wrong. Someone else actually mentioned that there wouldn't be much protection by sending a comic va First Class, I just showed it can be done, seems we agree on that.

-slym

I'm sure you weren't. That we came to nearly the same conclusion with regards to final package weight was my point.

You and I will have to disagree on what constitutes "adequate" protection for a first class shipment. I NEVER ship first class for that very reason.

hm

-slym

Are you trying to say that my comics look fat in that bag?! :mad:

I would never...

:lol:

-slym

hm

I'm sure you weren't. That we came to nearly the same conclusion with regards to final package weight was my point.

You and I will have to disagree on what constitutes "adequate" protection for a first class shipment. I NEVER ship first class for that very reason.

I also never use it for anything worth over $20-25 - but I stand by my packing. Send me your shipping info and I will mail you a comic, from NC to CA, using my standard 1st Class packing if you doubt it, or just want to see for yourself.

;)

-slym

This was brought up in another thread, and I wanted to get a broader spectrum of results, if possible, to see where things really are - how much does a comic book weigh? I have a food scale, not really a postal scale, but I have measured it and corrected it against known weights and am no more than 1/10 of an ounce (less than 3 grams) off as far as I can tell, and used it to weigh a few comics today, both without and with a bag & board.

Wolverine -1 "Flashback" issue, 2.5 ounces/3.5 ounces

Ultimate Fantastic Four #16, 2.5oz/3.5oz

DC's Creeper #1 3D Lenticular Animation cover, 3oz/4oz

Another boardie claims comics weigh 5 ounces each, but didn't specify whether or not that was in a bag & board. Still seems heavy to me, and that is why I am starting this thread. I got that same Creeper, bagged & boarded and into another bag, in between 3 sheets of corrugated plastic, wrapped in bubblewrap and stuffed into a 10''x13'' envelope and it came to 10-1/2 ounces by my scales.

I'd like to see others weigh in (pardon the pun) on this!

:D

-slym

I have a digital scale accurate to within a LOT (too lazy to get it now).

I only have BA and earlier books to weigh but I shall dutifully weigh them, including plain old pre-code horror, DC BA, Marvel BA, Charlton BA horror, Marvel SA, those DC Dollar Books, some annuals etc. etc. etc. and I shall report back by the morrow.

I am currently subject to a fluish thing so I should have the time between watching TeeVee shows.

Comic Weights using postal scale +/- 0.1oz

Mid Silver Age: UXM #16 = 1.6oz

Late Bronze Age: ASM #202 = 1.5oz

Late Copper: UXM #263 = 1.5oz

Early Moderns: ASM #410 = 1.5oz

Mid Moderns: WD #3 = 2.3 oz

Late Moderns: Pretty Deadly #2 = 2.1oz

SupSpidey #19 = 1.8oz

Bags and Board weights

generic polybag = 0.2oz

generic board = 0.6oz

combined bag and board = 0.8oz

eGerber Mylyte 2 (standard) = 0.3oz

eGerber Fullback (standard) = 1.3oz

combined mylite2 and fullback = 1.6oz

combined comic and polybag/board = 2.3 - 3.1oz

combined comic and fullback and mylyte = 3.1 - 3.9oz

Holy , how did I miss this?

:applause:

-slym

Comic Weights using postal scale +/- 0.1oz

Mid Silver Age: UXM #16 = 1.6oz

Late Bronze Age: ASM #202 = 1.5oz

Late Copper: UXM #263 = 1.5oz

Early Moderns: ASM #410 = 1.5oz

Mid Moderns: WD #3 = 2.3 oz

Late Moderns: Pretty Deadly #2 = 2.1oz

SupSpidey #19 = 1.8oz

Bags and Board weights

generic polybag = 0.2oz

generic board = 0.6oz

combined bag and board = 0.8oz

eGerber Mylyte 2 (standard) = 0.3oz

eGerber Fullback (standard) = 1.3oz

combined mylite2 and fullback = 1.6oz

combined comic and polybag/board = 2.3 - 3.1oz

combined comic and fullback and mylyte = 3.1 - 3.9oz

Holy , how did I miss this?

:applause:

-slym

I dug up my scale and thought "Maybe someone did it already." I am in Slym's camp. How did I miss that?

Currently, I ship single comics between two pieces of cardboard, placed into a "flash mailer." Then, into a bubble mailer. Average weight of the whole thing is right about 11-12oz, most of that weight is definitely in the mailer, but I tend to over-protect when shipping.

I am looking to switch my shipping materials once my current supplies are gone. Does anyone use the uline mailers? That is what I am considering changing to.

Well, I weighed some odder ones out of curiosity.

Marvel Squarebound

Collector's Item Classics (weighed several) - 3.1 oz

DC Dollar Books

Superman Spectacular (DC Special Series V1 #5) - 3.6 oz

House of Mystery 252 - 3.7 oz.

DC 25 cent from early 70s

The Witching Hour #12 - 2.4 oz

DC standard 15 cent

Witching Hour 8 - 1.7 oz

Charleton BA

Ghostly Haunts #38 (25 cent) - 1.7oz

Scary Tales #20 (40 cent) - 1.6 oz

When I find them I'll add a couple pre-code horror and one or two others.

Currently, I ship single comics between two pieces of cardboard, placed into a "flash mailer." Then, into a bubble mailer. Average weight of the whole thing is right about 11-12oz, most of that weight is definitely in the mailer, but I tend to over-protect when shipping.

I am looking to switch my shipping materials once my current supplies are gone. Does anyone use the uline mailers? That is what I am considering changing to.

I just "repurpose" other boxes. Then again, I have lots of time on my hands...

:(

I did just find a box that was about 12" square and cut it down, I copied the flap-design and everything just cut it down to about 10" on one side, and I got one comic-book in it, well-protected, and it weighed 12 ounces.

Like I said... I have a lot of time on my hands for such things.

-slym

Pre or post shrink?

Wait... were you talking about the comics' covers shrinking? Or a psychiatrist?

hm

-slym

The psychiatrist who thinks shrunken covers look good.

Psychiatrist may be the wrong word.

hm

properly sandwhiched and bagged and boarded between 3-4 pieces of carboard it generally comes in at 10-11 ounces in final packed form 98% of the time.

i have never had a problem sliding another comic in there and ringing it up at 13 oz (though it is probably 13.5 oz at that point)

I did get burned recently sticking three DC 3D comics (all in one bag/board, 3 pieces of cardboard) in at 13 oz and not bothering to weigh them...I guess when you go 4 or 5 ounces over you're asking for trouble.