• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 versus 2013

45 posts in this topic

I missed the 2012 speculation boat, which got me to speculate in 2013 and so I haven't landed any big hits (except for my one issue of Outliers). In terms of reading quality, both years feel pretty even, but 2013 has the edge in quantity.:

Personal Highlights: Saga, Revival, Fatale, MP, ToT, NWM

Other notables: Todd, Five Ghosts, PP

Personal Highlights: EoW, Sex Criminals, Sheltered, Lazarus, A Voice in the Dark, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy

Other notables: Black Science, Manifest Destiny, Pretty Deadly, Zero, Rat Queens

I put books in "other notables" because they get much love on the forum but I personally haven't read them (ex: Todd, PP), they're not my cup of tea but still pulled huge numbers (ex: Pretty Deadly), or I enjoyed the first issues but isn't on my personal "must-read" list just yet (ex: Zero, Rat Queens).

Despite the lack of a big speculation hit in 2013, it was a banner year for some really amazing stories, and that doesn't even mention the stuff coming out of the other publishers (ex: Day Men, Coffin Hill, Hinterkind...)

I agree with most of what you point out but Todd and Five Ghosts are 2013 books.

You beat me to it!

:hi: Wassup TA?

:hi: Hey EB

I'm having a nice slow sleet and rain filled day here at work lol

I hope your's is nicer.

I missed the 2012 speculation boat, which got me to speculate in 2013 and so I haven't landed any big hits (except for my one issue of Outliers). In terms of reading quality, both years feel pretty even, but 2013 has the edge in quantity.:

Personal Highlights: EoW, Sex Criminals, Sheltered, Lazarus, A Voice in the Dark, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy

Other notables: Black Science, Manifest Destiny, Pretty Deadly, Zero, Rat Queens

I put books in "other notables" because they get much love on the forum but I personally haven't read them (ex: Todd, PP), they're not my cup of tea but still pulled huge numbers (ex: Pretty Deadly), or I enjoyed the first issues but isn't on my personal "must-read" list just yet (ex: Zero, Rat Queens).

Despite the lack of a big speculation hit in 2013, it was a banner year for some really amazing stories, and that doesn't even mention the stuff coming out of the other publishers (ex: Day Men, Coffin Hill, Hinterkind...)

I agree with most of what you point out but Todd and Five Ghosts are 2013 books.

You beat me to it!

I hope your's is nicer.

73 and sunny here today. Was wearing shorts. lol

You beat me to it!

I hope your's is nicer.

Here in NYC it's 27 degrees and snowing... just about two inches so far, but it makes for a slushy, slippery mix. I'm dreading the trip home from work in a few.

You beat me to it!

I hope your's is nicer.

73 and sunny here today. Was wearing shorts. lol

:whatev: Snow, snow and more snow for me! :(

There have been many discussions on which year was better. I liked the books(stories) that came out in 2013 more than those that came out in 2012. That being said, 2012 was much better for the flipper in my opinion.

My vote for best book of the year would be

2012 SAGAH !

2013 East of West

What do you think ?

The indies made me drop most Marvel and DC. I saw my pull list on indies quadruple.

The number of really good indie titles that came out this year is staggering. I'm kind of hoping that 2014 isn't the same because I can't keep adding to my pull list at the rate I have this year.

If we get even one book as good as EoW, Lazarus, Jupiter's Legacy or Suicide Risk I'll be happy.

Gotta say Saga and WD were books of the year for me. TWD definitely got out of a lull and became captivating to again. Saga on the other hand is just perfect. It's legit 10/10 for me. Art, writing, everything.

Another great pick for me was Green Arrow from Jeff Lemire. Took a great turn once he became the writer.

The number of really good indie titles that came out this year is staggering. I'm kind of hoping that 2014 isn't the same because I can't keep adding to my pull list at the rate I have this year.

If we get even one book as good as EoW, Lazarus, Jupiter's Legacy or Suicide Risk I'll be happy.

I will join my wallet and say we are with you. A little new stuff would be great but too much of a good thing is... Aw heck, who needs food ? lol

Gotta say Saga and WD were books of the year for me. TWD definitely got out of a lull and became captivating to again. Saga on the other hand is just perfect. It's legit 10/10 for me. Art, writing, everything.

Another great pick for me was Green Arrow from Jeff Lemire. Took a great turn once he became the writer.

All good stuff and I couldn't agree more about Lemire and the artist on Green Arrow is phenomenal imo. Lemire is like an exceptional singer/songwriter except in comics lol

I will join my wallet and say we are with you. A little new stuff would be great but too much of a good thing is... Aw heck, who needs food ? lol

It's a constant stream of quality reading at the moment. Velvet, Manifest Destiny and Black Science in just the last two months have me locked in for at least the first arc.

Edit: Add Letter 44 to that list.