• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst modern-era "event" comic run?

29 posts in this topic

One More Day hands down. Last year when I went back and read 295-700 in order, the clone saga turned out to be an interesting read the second time around. A plus is that i actually liked Ben Reilly as the Scarlet Spider as a separate hero. One more day has no redeeming qualities no matter how much you read it and will always be complete garbage.

One More Day hands down. Last year when I went back and read 295-700 in order, the clone saga turned out to be an interesting read the second time around. A plus is that i actually liked Ben Reilly as the Scarlet Spider as a separate hero. One more day has no redeeming qualities no matter how much you read it and will always be complete garbage.

But we got a more interesting (i.e. slacker/loser) Peter Parker. :eyeroll: No wonder Dr. Octavius has taken over the role these days and people are enjoying Superior Spider-Man. Peter Parker was put through the wringer with One More Day and didn't come out the other end better, but worse!

My money is on Age of Ultron, and I have a feeling that it's gonna hold up in 20 years as horrible, no-ending, huckster-for-upcoming-issues drek. What say you?

Another poorly conceived event was Secret Wars II. This isn't a modern-era event however, so I'm not sure if it counts. (shrug)

Nothing beats this piece of mess.

Spider-ManOneMoreDay1_zps822c8bf4.jpg

Due to the fact that this book has been forever removed from my memory, it can't be the worst (honestly, as a Spider-Man fan, the book changed me as a person. No lie. I went from being a Spider-Man/Marvel Zombie, to reading more Indie and DC titles combined than Marvel books. Spider-Man lost a lot of the intrigue it once had.)

I'd put any event after Civil War. The event was so well done that everything has been a huge let down. I stopped reading Secret Invasion in the middle because it didn't interest me. I tried Blackest Night and Flashpoint, but both were let downs. I think Blackest Night was simply because I wasn't a GL reader. After all the above, I avoid event books like the plague.

My LCS has a note on my box that says no Event Books/Minis as they put things in my box they think I'll be interested in. Now they avoid those books.

Nothing beats this piece of mess.

Spider-ManOneMoreDay1_zps822c8bf4.jpg

Due to the fact that this book has been forever removed from my memory, it can't be the worst (honestly, as a Spider-Man fan, the book changed me as a person. No lie. I went from being a Spider-Man/Marvel Zombie, to reading more Indie and DC titles combined than Marvel books. Spider-Man lost a lot of the intrigue it once had.)

I'd put any event after Civil War. The event was so well done that everything has been a huge let down. I stopped reading Secret Invasion in the middle because it didn't interest me. I tried Blackest Night and Flashpoint, but both were let downs. I think Blackest Night was simply because I wasn't a GL reader. After all the above, I avoid event books like the plague.

My LCS has a note on my box that says no Event Books/Minis as they put things in my box they think I'll be interested in. Now they avoid those books.

I also used to read a ton of Marvel, and just find it all so convoluted now. I was a huge Spider-Man/X-Men fan growing up and Marvel has really lost my interest along the way. Civil War was the last event book I enjoyed, although Forever Evil has been OK. I'll try one Marvel book every once in a while when they reboot upon reboot, wanting to like it, and end up disappointed. They seem to have way too many events as well, which just make me feel like I've missed out on too much continuity to hop back on the bandwagon and enjoy the ride. DC has also been losing my interest, although I'll always read Batman. I find myself reading/buying/being interested in more and more indies and Vertigo titles.