• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denny Cowan's Art "LOST" by UPS

33 posts in this topic

I love it how they try to stick people with Brokerage fees

They tried to charge me a $50 Brokerage fee on MY sweater that I forgot at a my girlfriends house in Alabama. She sent it back to me UPS surface (because it's my own VERY USED sweater and she tried to get it to me cheap) and I saw the "brokerage fee" on a sweater that had ZERO value. Ridiculous.

They came after me one time for brokerage fees after I got the item.

I asked them to show me where it is on the paperwork I agreed to pay the fee.

since I didn't sign anything.. no fee paid

Collectibles Insurance Agency will automatically cover items sent overnight by FedEx and USPS. UPS is excluded.

To me that's very telling.

According to these docs, UPS is covered along with FedEx and USPS.

https://www.collectinsure.com/forms/CollectorPolicySummary.pdf

http://www.collectinsure.com/forms/CollectorBrochure.pdf

http://www.collectinsure.com/forms/DealerApplicationProducer.pdf

FedEx and USPS are covered up to $60,000

UPS is covered up to $2500.

I guess we could say UPS is technically "covered", but I think those actuaries are telling us something!

Sorry, I missed that part. Where does it say that?

http://www.comicwow.com/blogs/1/1029/denys-cowan-s-artwork-found

The infamous “lost” art of Denys Cowan has been returned to its rightful owner… Denys Cowan.

In early December 2013 Michael Davis and Denys Cowan shipped multiple pieces of artwork to Baltimore for the Milestones: African Americans in Comics, Pop Culture & Beyond exhibit at Geppi’s Entertainment Museum. Upon arrival all of Davis’ artwork had arrived but the museum was deeply dismayed to find out that the box containing Cowan’s pieces seemed to be open and all but 1 piece remained inside. 28 pieces in total had been “lost” by UPS. The Milestones exhibit went on as planned despite the fact that some of its focal pieces were now not going to make the show.

An enraged team of Michael Davis, Missy Geppi, Steve Geppi, and others took to social media to get the word out about what happened. Informing everyone in our industry, to be on the lookout for anyone trying to shop these one-of-a-kind pieces of art around. The beauty of the comic book industry is that we are a close community, nothing like this can squeak by us.

Low and behold, a month later UPS has “found” Cowan’s art. Some pieces are not in the condition sent but at least they are back where they should be. These treasures were almost lost forever, here’s what Cowan had to say on his Facebook:

“First off, I would like to thank the thousands of fans who reached out concerned about my missing artwork.

Due to the efforts of my friend, Michael Davis, as well as the entire Geppi family, most especially Missy Geppi, the President of the Geppi Entertainment Museum, UPS "found" and returned the artwork.

Every single page has been returned to me -- all 28 pieces. I'm elated, but also dismayed because of the condition of some of the artwork.

However, I'm grateful for all the love and support. It continues to help me through a tough time.

A special thanks to Steve Geppi for his personal involvement in this difficult situation.”

No one will know what really happened in the last month with these pieces, but we are sure that Denys is glad to have them back. The comic community and determination once again prevails. Congratulations Denys for getting back your treasures and making sure they will be around for a long time to come.

Wow. I send all my most expensive sales via UPS. I like it because they package it up and ship it off. With insurance and everything, I pay like 2-300 for shipping but they seem to take really good care of THOSE packages! lol

Have you ever tried to collect the insurance on art though?

Every single page has been returned to me -- all 28 pieces. I'm elated, but also dismayed because of the condition of some of the artwork.

I'm glad it was "found" and returned but I'm still saddened by the "condition" line. Not sure how this magically goes missing, gets found. and some of it's damaged? Sounds like UPS has some explaining to do.