• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what's you're (comic) resolution (do tell)??

137 posts in this topic

fewer books

better books

This is my mantra from day one. :applause:

You're the only one who's actually pulled it off

This is what everyone says...all the time. "I want a big key rather than a bunch of smaller keys." Or "eliminate my pull list and get keys" or something like that. But no one seems to mention the fact that collecting runs and smaller keys and monthlies is super fun. Many times much, much more enjoyable than saving for 6 months and buying one big book. Isn't a hobby about fun? Enjoyment? Satisfaction? Does it always have to be about dollars and cents?

And buying multiple little keys can be just as financially savvy as buying a big one. Or more so. More diversification. Admittedly more work as well if you have to sell.

Point is, I want to have a collection that is valuable, but I also want to enjoy putting it together. And you can't read and re-read your Hulk 1 sitting behind its archival-safe plastic.

Now, I do have some decent keys (no majors yet) that are graded, and I do enjoy knowing they are tucked away in my collection, but I'm going to buy what I can afford and what I enjoy. And however that equation works for you, I hope you squeeze as much fun and satisfaction out of this hobby that you can.

We all know it's about the thrill of the chase.Hunting down a big elephant like a Hulk 1 is just as satisfying if not not more so than bagging a couple of weekly floppies.

I get it we all collect in our own ways,and we all enjoy in our own way.

Peace be with you brother. :foryou:

Pssh...you're a cab.

fewer books

better books

This is my mantra from day one. :applause:

You're the only one who's actually pulled it off

This is what everyone says...all the time. "I want a big key rather than a bunch of smaller keys." Or "eliminate my pull list and get keys" or something like that. But no one seems to mention the fact that collecting runs and smaller keys and monthlies is super fun. Many times much, much more enjoyable than saving for 6 months and buying one big book. Isn't a hobby about fun? Enjoyment? Satisfaction? Does it always have to be about dollars and cents?

And buying multiple little keys can be just as financially savvy as buying a big one. Or more so. More diversification. Admittedly more work as well if you have to sell.

Point is, I want to have a collection that is valuable, but I also want to enjoy putting it together. And you can't read and re-read your Hulk 1 sitting behind its archival-safe plastic.

Now, I do have some decent keys (no majors yet) that are graded, and I do enjoy knowing they are tucked away in my collection, but I'm going to buy what I can afford and what I enjoy. And however that equation works for you, I hope you squeeze as much fun and satisfaction out of this hobby that you can.

I appreciate diversification.

That's why, instead of eliminating my pull list completely, I cut it WAAAAY back a few months ago. I stood there and thought, for every single book:

1) "Do I actually like this book?" If yes, continue on to next question.

2) "If so, would I miss the enjoyment of reading it monthly rather than as a trade?"

Every book still on my pull list was easily a "Yes" to both questions with one exception, and that one had better have something happen shortly or it is gone. I figured out that if I hesitated at all, the book was dropped.

This way, I can combine that weekly trip to the store (or for me, 2-3 weekly visits. . . lol) to get the really well-done current books with the goal of improving my collection and working towards other significant collecting goals, without hitting the bank account too much.

I suppose that I like that I have books from different ages all together in my collection...

I'm adding another resolution. . .

Dr. Balls had a "500 Marvel Keys" list. I need to make my own personal list, outside of my Uncanny X-Men and associated 1st Appearances run.

I'd like to do that this year, too, then shop from the Top 12 list of books not currently in my collection. Works with my other resolution.

Dr. Balls had a "500 Marvel Keys" list. I need to make my own personal list, outside of my Uncanny X-Men and associated 1st Appearances run.

I'd like to do that this year, too, then shop from the Top 12 list of books not currently in my collection. Works with my other resolution.

Sorry pal, you already made your list. This will have to wait for '15.

Sorry pal, you already made your list. This will have to wait for '15.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Well, ok.

I suppose I could just finish it in 2014, add it to my resolutions for 2015, then cross it off on January 1.

fewer books

better books

this goal is due to my likely relocation overseas...

cant justify all the shipping costs to keep up my current quantity pace.

so fewer books, better books make sense for me

So a lot of things kind of came together to push me in this direction, so I'll do the set up first and then the resolution (feel free to skip to the next post :P).

I'm 25 years old and for as long as I can remember, I've always loved history. It's just fascinates me. I convinced my wife to go to Iceland for our honeymoon (if you like to travel, go to Iceland, you will not regret it) because I love vikings and it was amazing to be in a place they settled. I love watching shows like American Pickers and American Restoration because I love seeing things that have history and meaning being preserved and passed on and continue to live on.

So when it comes to comics, I love comics that have date stamps, original owner names, dates penciled in, pedigrees, basically anything that adds to the story behind the comic itself. I love it.

The other day I stumbled upon gino2paulus2's sig line and loved it. He said that he likes low grade, decent presenting keys and a light went off in my head. I want to save and preserve low grade copies. I will never be able to afford ultra high grade or even highish grade comics. So instead of always feeling frustrated that I can't have the best of the best, I want the worst of the best!

So with that, my resolution in 2014 is to start my new collection of 1.0, 1.5, or 1.8 graded keys by adding either Tales Of Suspense #39 or Avengers #1.

So a lot of things kind of came together to push me in this direction, so I'll do the set up first and then the resolution (feel free to skip to the next post :P).

I'm 25 years old and for as long as I can remember, I've always loved history. It's just fascinates me. I convinced my wife to go to Iceland for our honeymoon (if you like to travel, go to Iceland, you will not regret it) because I love vikings and it was amazing to be in a place they settled. I love watching shows like American Pickers and American Restoration because I love seeing things that have history and meaning being preserved and passed on and continue to live on.

So when it comes to comics, I love comics that have date stamps, original owner names, dates penciled in, pedigrees, basically anything that adds to the story behind the comic itself. I love it.

The other day I stumbled upon gino2paulus2's sig line and loved it. He said that he likes low grade, decent presenting keys and a light went off in my head. I want to save and preserve low grade copies. I will never be able to afford ultra high grade or even highish grade comics. So instead of always feeling frustrated that I can't have the best of the best, I want the worst of the best!

So with that, my resolution in 2014 is to start my new collection of 1.0, 1.5, or 1.8 graded keys by adding either Tales Of Suspense #39 or Avengers #1.

That's awesome! Good luck! I added Journey Into Mystery #83 in that range this past year. Doesn't matter it isn't high grade. I really like the book... and affordable.

After a hectic end to 2013 I'm looking forward to getting my collection organized and cataloged. I'm happy with my collecting focus so this year will be about adding some minor keys as my budget allows.

WTTB!

-slym

I like it! :applause: