• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kids and Comics, Keeping Peace in the Household

21 posts in this topic

So my wife and I are expecting our first child, and I'm thinking about how to keep the little grubber out of my pretty pretties. Yes, that's a few years away, but hey, never hurts to plan ahead, right?

So for you parents out there, how did you manage having collectibles in the house, collectibles that are markedly appealing to those young'uns? Did you lock things away? Give them some comics for them while teaching them hands-off the good stuff? Electric fencing?

Any help for a father-to-be is most welcome. Well, help on this topic, though other tips are welcome, too.

It's not that bad. We made it clear that those were "daddy's books" and that he didn't need to touch them. As with any part of raising a child, boundaries and rules are important. I did pick up a box of mostly Disney books at a show (he was/is a big fan of MIckey Mouse Clubhouse) and he loves to get them out when I'm playing with mine. I don't recall having him damage any of my books but we keep an eye on him and them.

The real problem will be having time and money for your collection.

Depends on your space. I've always had either a garage or a basement since kids so I just kept comics in those.

Assuming you don't, always keep them in boxes and out of reach. Try to teach them the value of not destroying things (toys, books, etc.). Give them their own age appropriate reader copies and teach them to take care of them that way.

Despite your (and your wife`s) best efforts something will go wrong. Don't freak out.

Also, read to them and talk to them about the history and try to cultivate future comics fans.

My kids are now 8 and 10. Former is the reader of the two and wants to help me catalog books (tape pull anyone?) but the older one is finally getting more interested due to seeing movie adaptations.

Congrats, good luck and enjoy the experience as it happens because it goes by quickly.

So my wife and I are expecting our first child, and I'm thinking about how to keep the little grubber out of my pretty pretties. Yes, that's a few years away, but hey, never hurts to plan ahead, right?

So for you parents out there, how did you manage having collectibles in the house, collectibles that are markedly appealing to those young'uns? Did you lock things away? Give them some comics for them while teaching them hands-off the good stuff? Electric fencing?

Any help for a father-to-be is most welcome. Well, help on this topic, though other tips are welcome, too.

I wouldn't worry about it. The odds of your kid having any interest in your comics is just about zero. 2c You'll have more to worry about with electrical sockets, doors, cabinets, stoves, and small items within reach that they can put in their mouth.

Don't leave comics lying about. Keep them bagged, boarded, and boxed. That always worked for me.

+1

Time ends up being of more value than money, specially on the first 3years (you'll be too tiered to think about comics).

Anyway, if you have something you care about comics Wise, just keep it looked/ out of reach. Don't lay your expectations on the first couple of years, "i'm explaining and telling him/ her that those are dad's books", it doesn't work well on real life... :grin:

You can start gathering a bunch of readers copes from stuff for his age and passing on to him.

TPB's are also a great choice. Let them "read" (that means coloring, ripping occasionally, cutting, drawing,...). It's a nice vision to see your living room with great stuff laying around!

My oldest son (5years) and i have already for sometime our comics moment. Sharing, looking and reading great stuff is a new way o re-discovering your child, your passion for comics and the hability you (might still) have to be amazed and Wonder upon funny books.

My other kid (2 years old next week) is starting to pull books and tpb's and enjoying them at his pace/ way.

anyway, keep away your fav. stuff and try to not pass out when they show you a "restored" (what was a NM) amazing spidey 50! :mad::tonofbricks:

just enjoy it's a crazy, bumpy ride

regards

ps- our occasional trips to the comic stores are great!

+1

So sad... So true!

However, I do enjoy purchasing toys that my three year old really wants, like the cars from the Disney movie. It's almost as fun as filling my X-Men run... Wait a minute... No it's not!

I have two girls (5&3) and they have no interest in my books, but love my few little lead figurines.

(1) keep things up high

(2) keep things locked up

(3) buy some books for them to have and mess up

(4) have nothing tempting buy your comic stuff (ie; bag of candy)

(5) be prepared to replace everything you own lol

I have two girls (5&3) and they have no interest in my books, but love my few little lead figurines.

(1) keep things up high

(2) keep things locked up

(3) buy some books for them to have and mess up

(4) have nothing tempting buy your comic stuff (ie; bag of candy)

(5) be prepared to replace everything you own lol

That's pretty much it. You leave it out and they destroy it, that one is on you.

You don't need to barricade your things but close a door and don't leave valuable things out. I only lost a $20 copy of ASM #56, I think, because I left it out and the door open to my office and three year old hands got to it.

I've never had any real issues with my books and my kids (knock on wood).

My daughter understood that my books weren't for her to play with when she was little. I didn't really keep books out though so it wasn't an issue. My boxes were in what is now my sons room, and she never went in there.

My son now likes to look at the covers, but he knows they are not to be played with. I make a point of not keeping high priced books out, but I do have a comic book reading table in the living room and a short box under it. He has pulled out a book or two, but that was the end of it. He learned and doesn't play with them. He will come sit with me when I read sometimes and look at the pictures, but he even knows not to touch.

My daughter is now getting into books. She enjoyed some Manga titles for a few years, but now reads Archie and Simpsons comics pretty regularly. I pull them for her and she loves them. I also buy her an assortment of trades too.

Money is the big thing. Wait till your child gets to daycare age. Infant daycare in Baltimore was more than our mortgage. It didn't drop until he turned two. Needless to say, I've got a lot of maxed out credit cards.