• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Copper Age comic cover

155 posts in this topic

No offense to CA fans, but after going through the memory banks, a few that were posted here came up but not much else. The CA was great for stories, but the covers lacked a certain something that was present in the GA, SA and BA.

Anyone care to guess why?

:cloud9:

21103-2400-23533-1-captain-america.jpg

One of the first Copper Age books I tracked down in 9.8 condition because of that cover.

:cloud9:

Man, I loved that storyline. Just great stuff. Zeck was really on his game back then.

No offense to CA fans, but after going through the memory banks, a few that were posted here came up but not much else. The CA was great for stories, but the covers lacked a certain something that was present in the GA, SA and BA.

I have to disagree with this statement. There are some classic covers that came along with those stories that have stood out in our hobby.

- O'Barr's Crow covers

- Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales covers

- Stevens' GGA and Rocketeer covers

- Zeck's Captain America & Spider-Man covers

- Frank Miller's Dark Knight, Wolverine and Daredevil covers

- McFarlane's Amazing Spider-Man & Incredible Hulk covers

Series like Warlock 5 and Dark Horse Presents had many great covers. I would love to own the OA for Dark Horse Presents #1.

I guess it depends on what you like. But I seem to like many of the Copper Age covers.

I guess it depends on what you like. But I seem to like many of the Copper Age covers.

By comparing the GA, SA and BA, I am naturally sticking to Marvel and DC, as there is a easy point of reference.

I just think a lot of Marvel and DC CA (especially early CA, like 1982-85) is just terrible, like those photo covers from Spider-woman 50 and ASM 262. Sorry, but there it is.

Spider-Woman_Vol_1_50.jpg

Though I did like ASM 261 - along with X-Men 213, easily one of my favorites.

No idea. However, I personally enjoy the layout of Bronze covers over Copper. The Marvel bar at the top tends to do it for me. Some of the bronze age cover graphics are more aesthetically appealing to me as well.

I have to disagree with this statement. There are some classic covers that came along with those stories that have stood out in our hobby.

- O'Barr's Crow covers

- Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales covers

- Stevens' GGA and Rocketeer covers

- Zeck's Captain America & Spider-Man covers

- Frank Miller's Dark Knight, Wolverine and Daredevil covers

- McFarlane's Amazing Spider-Man & Incredible Hulk covers

Series like Warlock 5 and Dark Horse Presents had many great covers. I would love to own the OA for Dark Horse Presents #1.

You had me up until McFarlane.

You had me up until McFarlane.

:roflmao:

I knew that one may not sit 100% with everone. But there are some covers in those runs that stand out.

I will say the the cover to Hulk #340 stands out, mainly because it's a very simple graphic image. The same goes for ASM #300. Neither are particularly drawn well, but the design is so simple they stand out.