• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Where the Wild Hulks Are" Homage covers (scan by BUG pg 2) & VonDoom Gallery

53 posts in this topic

Here's a distraction from the seriousness of recent forum topics...

I just got back from my local comic shop where I experienced a great blast from the past.

Picked up Hulk 49 and was delighted with the superb homage cover to Maurice Sendak's "Where the wild things are" ... loved it! I know they did a Norman Rockwell also some months back.

Having had "Where the wild things are" read to me many times before I could do so myself as a kid... I always remember being captivated and drawn in by the scary story and slightly dark (for a kid) illustrations.

Made me wonder...

Can anyone identify some other quality comic homage covers? Perhaps the posting of a scan of the original and the homage piece would be even better for those capable?

There have been lots of homage covers to older comic book covers (Batman 227/Detective 31(?)) for example, but I'm not aware of any other cover takeoffs from non-comic book art, pop culture examples, etc.,.

On the other hand, ET is supposed to show a new Hulk Trailer tonight at 7, and from the sneak peek I saw last night, we'll get a much better look at the Hulkster himself!

Cool... I tried to find that HBO DD special, but it was not on here on the East Coast?

I'm looking primarily for homages of other covers... as that would comprise the vast majority of them, BUT any homage will do if it is recognizable.

I remember a Bongo comics "Bartman" with an ASM 50 homage I think.

Post some scans

grin.gif

There are lots of comic bk covers homages. See layout of 1 team on left side battling other team on right side. Avengers 53? vs X-men, FF 73 vs DD, Thor, ASM,: NTT When Titans Clash by Perez. Death X-men 137 compared to death Crisis Infinite Earths 7? Supergirl.

Off-Topic since there's been little contribution thus far...

Check out this incredible new site that has a very powerful inspection tool that will allow a closer (x-ray style) examination of a scan. It lets you examine what's undereath the initial pixel layer to reveal interior details, "foxing" and minor tears,

New Online Self-Check Restoration Tool