• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade Paperback Swap

89 posts in this topic

CAHokie has been helping me test some things this past week, just inputting data and reporting back bugs/errors/whatnot. It's been really helpful so thanks for that.

That's some sweet UAT!

I think I might have over estimated the potential interest in putting something like this together. (shrug) Hopefully it wasn't a giant waste of time.

Maybe board interest is low, but I have 5-6 friends outside the board that are very interested in something like this.

CAHokie has been helping me test some things this past week, just inputting data and reporting back bugs/errors/whatnot. It's been really helpful so thanks for that.

That's some sweet UAT!

I think I might have over estimated the potential interest in putting something like this together. (shrug) Hopefully it wasn't a giant waste of time.

Maybe board interest is low, but I have 5-6 friends outside the board that are very interested in something like this.

What's UAT?

User Acceptance Testing. Sorry, I assumed it might be a term you would be familiar with.

Ah, no I hadn't heard that term/acronym before. I always just refereed to pre-roll out testing by the customer or client as client testing.

Made some big updates to the TPBSwap.com website. It's almost done. A bit more testing, some little updates here and there, and I'll be ready to roll it out.

I finished all the code that handles the book swapping transactions. It took me a few days just to decide how I wanted to lay out the design for the requests queue page. I'm glad I took my time on it, I think it turned out good.

You have 2 types of requests.

1.) Where you have requested a book from someone.

2.) Where someone has requested one of your books.

In both cases there are a number of status types the book goes through, that the users update through out the trade process.

If you request a book, it gets it's status set to requested, taken out of the library, and the owner is notified that it's requested. They in turn update the status to Shipped once they have sent it out. Finally once you receive the book you update the status to received, and the original owner is given a credit to spend on other books.

When setting the Shipped status, you also need to input the shipping service carrier (UPS/USPS/FedEx) and a tracking number. While it's not outright required to provide tracking, in the event of a dispute, it will make resolution much easier and I am recommending people spend the $1 or whatever it costs to add tracking to the shipment.

The system *should* send a book owner an email when they have a book requested, however my web server has a limited number of SMTP email relays per day, so it's possible that the email system will max out and notifications won't get sent. Because of that it's everyone's responsibility to check the site with some regularity if you have books in the library.

In the event you request a book and the owner never ships it, after 7 days you can cancel the request and you will be refunded your credit. Their account will also be flagged for review, and it may be terminated.

That's all for now, but keep an eye out in the next few days for an official release notice.