• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko original art question?

27 posts in this topic

It's probably safe to say that all the Marvel Ditko art that has been collected or is on the market never reached Ditko's hands from Marvel.

I don't see Ditko getting his art back and then selling it to collectors or dealers. It's just not his style, if what I've read about him (and by him) is true.

And it seems the majority (the ASM issues, at least) of his art has seen at least a representative page or three sold publicly, if not entire issues. If the art was returned to him, wouldn't he have gotten all the pages since he inked his own work (ASM)?

It's been mentioned before, but I bet some on here know where the art to ASM 1-5 is at.

Those would make an AWESOME IDW Artists Edition :D (hint hint)

It's all out there (save for what Steve may or may not have carved up :cry: ) - it just hasn't surfaced yet.

I'll take a crack at the Ditko ASM issues that have had at least 1 page on the market. Someone more knowledgeable than I can edit.

3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 18, 20 (complete last I heard), 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, Ann 2

Wasn't the cover to 28 sold to someone? I thought I remember seeing it in a photo.

If so, a question for anyone who has seen it personally:

Was the ASM 28 cover done in scratchboard? It looked that way to me when I saw the picture.

If I remember correctly, that one was trimmed right to the art.

I'll take a crack at the Ditko ASM issues that have had at least 1 page on the market. Someone more knowledgeable than I can edit.

3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 18, 20 (complete last I heard), 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, Ann 2

Wasn't the cover to 28 sold to someone? I thought I remember seeing it in a photo.

If so, a question for anyone who has seen it personally:

Was the ASM 28 cover done in scratchboard? It looked that way to me when I saw the picture.

If I remember correctly, that one was trimmed right to the art.

A lot of the early twice-up Marvel covers were trimmed to the image (I own several).

Don't think the ASM # 28 cover was scratchboard, far as I can tell (I have a photo).

that awesome book and art has never hit the market.

:wishluck: Maybe someday….

Somebody on these boards posted a list at one point of known Ditko ASM issues that have had pages hit the market. I did a quick search and didn't find it but it's around somewhere…. Maybe I'll do more digging when I'm not at work lol

Why not do it at work and get paid for it?? lol

You can add 25 to this list...