• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Almost 5years later I finally saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine

97 posts in this topic

Hmm... people disappointed with the choice of actor based on the size difference between actor & character in other movies...

hm :lol: :/

-slym

doh!

The decent movies you folks are missing out on because you get hung up on the height difference.

But that is your personal choice.

Hmm... people disappointed with the choice of actor based on the size difference between actor & character in other movies...

-slym

doh!

The decent movies you folks are missing out on because you get hung up on the height difference.

I still saw Shutter Island, and it was pretty good. As a fan of the novel I was a little surprised at the casting choice.

And DeCaprio is a good actor (still glad he wasn't Patrick Bateman in American Psycho)

doh!

I never said I didn't watch the X-Movies because of my problem with Hugh Jackman. I have seen every X-titled movie, and half of the Wolverine ones.

I am disappointed with the casting, but it isn't what made the X-movies suck. (IMHO, of course.)

:D

-slym

I read a Goldman book that covered this off pretty well.

It stated, quite well in fact, that when adapting a novel, story or real-life experience, there are character traits that can be changed without affecting the overall story, and there are *core* character traits, that if changed, can ruin the adaptation.

He brought up a novel (that interestingly enough, was turned into 2007's Shooter) about a Vietnam sniper who gets caught up in a Presidential assassination attempt, and is blamed for the killing. Goldman stated that the studios were trying to update this to a Desert Storm sniper and looking to cast Keanu Reeves.

No problem, because the guy is still an elite sniper and he's still framed for the murder - only the year and war has changed.

Then he brought up another case of an adaptation involving an elderly, 65-year old bank robber that was updated to a younger bank robber - the whole concept changed because his "age" was an intrinsic part of the character, and all the other characters and plot played off that characteristic, and it should not be changed or you would have a different movie.

I view Reacher's physicality as the same type of "core characteristic", that if changed, creates an entirely different movie. Go read some Reacher novels, and about half the text concerns Reacher's immense height, strength, near-invulnerability (his pecs are so huge and developed, they literally stop small-caliber bullets), imposing height, hand & wrist size (this is a big part of any Reacher book), and how this plays out in terms of plots and character interactions.

That's who he is, and if you took Reacher from 6'4" 260lbs to 5'6" 140lbs, you no longer have Jack Reacher, and you can no longer properly adapt a Lee Child novel, The change is just too drastic.

That's why I stated that while Tom Cruise's movie wasn't bad, it just wasn't a Jack Reacher movie.

-slym

doh!

I didn't miss out on it and height was the last reason why I didn't like it (shrug)

I read a Goldman book that covered this off pretty well.

It stated, quite well in fact, that when adapting a novel, story or real-life experience, there are character traits that can be changed without affecting the overall story, and there are *core* character traits, that if changed, can ruin the adaptation.

He brought up a novel (that interestingly enough, was turned into 2007's Shooter) about a Vietnam sniper who gets caught up in a Presidential assassination attempt, and is blamed for the killing. Goldman stated that the studios were trying to update this to a Desert Storm sniper and looking to cast Keanu Reeves.

No problem, because the guy is still an elite sniper and he's still framed for the murder - only the year and war has changed.

Then he brought up another case of an adaptation involving an elderly, 65-year old bank robber that was updated to a younger bank robber - the whole concept changed because his "age" was an intrinsic part of the character, and all the other characters and plot played off that characteristic, and it should not be changed or you would have a different movie.

I view Reacher's physicality as the same type of "core characteristic", that if changed, creates an entirely different movie. Go read some Reacher novels, and about half the text concerns Reacher's immense height, strength, near-invulnerability (his pecs are so huge and developed, they literally stop small-caliber bullets), imposing height, hand & wrist size (this is a big part of any Reacher book), and how this plays out in terms of plots and character interactions.

That's who he is, and if you took Reacher from 6'4" 260lbs to 5'6" 140lbs, you no longer have Jack Reacher, and you can no longer properly adapt a Lee Child novel, The change is just too drastic.

That's why I stated that while Tom Cruise's movie wasn't bad, it just wasn't a Jack Reacher movie.

I can see this leading to a weak adaptation if handled poorly. Especially if there is such a major character shift, it throws off multiple parts of the story. Then it becomes a distraction.

Reacher, for me, worked. But it was definitely a totally different interpretation than the book character.

I was entertained... All I asked for when going to see it was to be entertained. I went with a group of friends and we all walked out saying it wasn't the best we had ever seen but it was not the worst either...

When I go see I Soopah-hero film I am not looking for Citizen Kane, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or great achievements in film making. I am looking to be entertained.

I was.

I will watch more.

By the way, Walmart is having a $3 DVD sales today. Five of the X-Men movies are included (X1, X2, X3, X:FC, XO: Wolverine). I picked up Last of the Mohicans. Love that final one - on - one fight scene.
Yeah, saw that sale too. Just a lot of "promo" & FOX movies including Something About Mary, Extrordinary Gentlemen, Terminator and Get The Gringo ( :D ). Since I've seen everything there a hundred times, I just bought the first season of "The Killing" instead for $10.

But, I love Mohican's ending too. A lot of places in the woods up here look like the setting of the final scene. Look for the scene where Hawkeye is climbing over and through the rocks. One of the rocks is quite "soft and squishy".

By the way, Walmart is having a $3 DVD sales today. Five of the X-Men movies are included (X1, X2, X3, X:FC, XO: Wolverine). I picked up Last of the Mohicans. Love that final one - on - one fight scene.
Yeah, saw that sale too. Just a lot of "promo" & FOX movies including Something About Mary, Extrordinary Gentlemen, Terminator and Get The Gringo ( :D ). Since I've seen everything there a hundred times, I just bought the first season of "The Killing" instead for $10.

But, I love Mohican's ending too. A lot of places in the woods up here look like the setting of the final scene. Look for the scene where Hawkeye is climbing over and through the rocks. One of the rocks is quite "soft and squishy".

Upstate NY by Anthony's Nose which is by West Point very much reminded me of Last of the Mohicans. Especially all the overlooks to the river.

Upstate NY by Anthony's Nose which is by West Point very much reminded me of Last of the Mohicans. Especially all the overlooks to the river.

I am pretty sure it was filmed in either North or South Carolina. I remember having to watch excerpts of that for a film appreciation class with the lesson being how the location of a shoot can be a character all on its own. The soundtrack to Mohicans is haunting and a character all on its own as well.

I picked up Last of the Mohicans. Love that final one - on - one fight scene.

Too bad it's the heavily-edited, new score Expanded Edition, and not the theatrical cut. I really hated that they removed a lot of the lines and totally changed the score.