• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spike Mulligan: Amateur underground comic

27 posts in this topic

So..... 14 months ago.....

:popcorn:

I started thinking about what I do for a living ( I work outside in all kinds of weather, walking walking walking... and dealing with bad dogs ) I'm a meter reader for the utility company and put in about 30 miles a week.

spike4cover2_zpsf3ab1f6c.jpg

I started thinking about what I do for a living ( I work outside in all kinds of weather, walking walking walking... and dealing with bad dogs ) I'm a meter reader for the utility company and put in about 30 miles a week.

I've been doing this for the last 15 years. Don't get me wrong, its a great job. Get to work outside, with lots of freedom. Got a company car (during the day) and a company phone. Have wonderful medical benefits, perks, and pay...... but..... but ... its not very creative.

I've been doing this for the last 15 years. Don't get me wrong, its a great job. Get to work outside, with lots of freedom. Got a company car (during the day) and a company phone. Have wonderful medical benefits, perks, and pay...... but..... but ... its not very creative.

I bet you talk to yourself quite a bit? :shy:

I started considering..... Do I want to be doing this at age 60 ? 65? older ?

No..... the knees already creak. The joints already hurt. The dogs..... at least some of them already make me crazy mad. I just got attacked last week by a guys black 70 pound pitt mix. I'm standing 5 feet from his front door, I can hear the dog going rabid on the other side of the door, and what does the guy do ? He opens the door to see what the dog is frantic about and there I am looking like a Scooby Snack. So the dog just rushes past the guys legs and barking and growling tries to dismember me. I didn't scream. I didn't curse. I just went into focused ninja defense mode with my little water meter rod and met the dog head on. And dogs are smart. They know when an enemy is not a fleeing rabbit of kitty cat. They know when there is a challenge. Snapping teeth and growling ferociousness did not detour my attention from his head. And I warded him off twice, until the guy finally gets out there and grabs the dog, picks him up around the chest and carries him back into the house where he throws him down in the living room and slams the door without a single word to me.

I'm getting too old for this

I bet you talk to yourself quite a bit? :shy:

I have hours and hours to contemplate the universe....ask questions and get answers too :insane:

No..... the knees already creak. The joints already hurt. The dogs..... at least some of them already make me crazy mad. I just got attacked last week by a guys black 70 pound pitt mix. I'm standing 5 feet from his front door, I can hear the dog going rabid on the other side of the door, and what does the guy do ? He opens the door to see what the dog is frantic about and there I am looking like a Scooby Snack. So the dog just rushes past the guys legs and barking and growling tries to dismember me. I didn't scream. I didn't curse. I just went into focused ninja defense mode with my little water meter rod and met the dog head on. And dogs are smart. They know when an enemy is not a fleeing rabbit of kitty cat. They know when there is a challenge. Snapping teeth and growling ferociousness did not detour my attention from his head. And I warded him off twice, until the guy finally gets out there and grabs the dog, picks him up around the chest and carries him back into the house where he throws him down in the living room and slams the door without a single word to me.

So, around 2 years ago....maybe a little less, while walking through the cold winter neighborhood, I fell upon a thought that had evaded me for decades. But for some reason, it came into focus and the forefront of my thoughts. It was the question..... from a teacher...way back in grade school......

"What do you want to be when you grow up ?"

And believe me.... the answer was not .... a meter reader :popcorn:

It was..... a writer.

page1_zps41d9d19e.jpg

I'll trade you...

-slym

So, around 2 years ago....maybe a little less, while walking through the cold winter neighborhood, I fell upon a thought that had evaded me for decades. But for some reason, it came into focus and the forefront of my thoughts. It was the question..... from a teacher...way back in grade school......

It was..... a writer.

Now, maybe some would call it midlife crisis. The dissatisfaction with what is and the desire to do something new. Something fresh. A writer. I couldn't shake the thought. For days and days I kept pondering it. What could I write about? I'm an expert on nothing. There was no time to become an expert at anything either.

But then, I stopped trying to be competitive, and just let myself go with it like it was an elementary school homework assignment. Like a teacher had said, I want you to write a story.... with illustrations if possible......and I want you to think up all the characters, the place, the setting, the conflict..... everything. Just let your imagination lead you. Get together with another student and talk about it. Share your visions and make something. Creative chemistry is an amazing thing.

And so..... I contacted my oldest friend in the world ( who had pursued a career as an artist) and began talking with him about my thoughts.

He came up with the most amazing drawings of this construction worker boss named Spike Mulligan and I wrote a tale to fit the character into. And we were on our way.

SpikeMulligan_zps1349b3f5.jpg

It was..... a writer.

Now, maybe some would call it midlife crisis. The dissatisfaction with what is and the desire to do something new. Something fresh. A writer. I couldn't shake the thought. For days and days I kept pondering it. What could I write about? I'm an expert on nothing. There was no time to become an expert at anything either.

But then, I stopped trying to be competitive, and just let myself go with it like it was an elementary school homework assignment. Like a teacher had said, I want you to write a story.... with illustrations if possible......and I want you to think up all the characters, the place, the setting, the conflict..... everything. Just let your imagination lead you. Get together with another student and talk about it. Share your visions and make something. Creative chemistry is an amazing thing.

And so..... I contacted my oldest friend in the world ( who had pursued a career as an artist) and began talking with him about my thoughts.

He came up with the most amazing drawings of this construction worker boss named Spike Mulligan and I wrote a tale to fit the character into. And we were on our way.

Keep going, I am intrigued :)

By the way, your friend is an excellent artist. I really can see the animation skill in this particular drawing.

It was..... a writer.

Keep going, I am intrigued :)

By the way, your friend is an excellent artist. I really can see the animation skill in this particular drawing.

It really is a great book Mike is doing.I've been reading and collecting his book since the first issue. :cloud9:

Alright....sooooo......

I started imagining.....

And heres what I came up with.

A tale that takes place in a city I am familiar with.... Portland Oregon, and it deals with something the city is famous for, and that is brewing craft beer.

The characters are

Spike Mulligan - construction worker boss. Ex US army sergeant

Jim - Sioux tribal with no last name

Joe Parker - Comanche tribal who is Jims best friend

Weed - hippy giant of a man who smokes pot daily

Dodge - horse ridin cowboy from Texas

Frodo - the genius. the MacGyver of the group. the professor from gilligans island

Henk - black brother who is a chunk of strength

The mayor -mayor of Portland and the remaining highest authority left alive after EMPs

Chief Watson - Chief of police

The bad guys -

the MF gang with their boss Crud and his next in command Gangrin

the vampires -- everybody knows what a vampire is

the zombies -- everybody knows what a zombie is

The problem --

11 EMP waves have erupted from the sun in a 24 hour period. As the earth turned on its axis, no part of the planet escaped the disrupting power of the waves. The entire earth has gone dark and ceased to exist as it had before. The financial world has crumbled. The banking system is done. No electronic devices work.

And that is my backdrop.

It's my own self given school assignment.

Jack, my artist friend, is committed to doing the covers but the story, the lettering, and all the interior artwork is mine. Plus the layouts, the ads, the letters column, and the next issue page.

And.... its pretty fun. I mean, I'm having a good time with it.

And so.... after being an artist and a writer for 14 months..... lol

and with the printing of the 4th issue..... :acclaim:

I wanted to offer up, to the first 25 who are interested..... hm

a FREE copy of the latest issue. :o

Jack's covers are great, but the interior work ( my art.... and writing) is a work in progress.

Here's a couple pages to give a taste of what you will be getting.

It's not Atlas horror.

It's not EC.

It's probably more like a 50's DELL lol

page13_zps077a03f1.jpg

If 25 of you boardies would like a FREE copy of my latest issue....

just sign up on this list and we can pm the details....

1. oakman :grin::baiting:

2. Artboy99

3. comicdonna

4. jaybes

5. calpounder

6. the authority

7. machiavelli

8. 2k1civicexcoupe