• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis comics & how they grade

107 posts in this topic

A third party said the book is X grade and thats generally accepted as the grade

It just makes things easier. If i'm spending big money, i'd take the word of CGC over someone who's selling me the book any day of the week

The whole point of this post

I get when you buy a raw book that says NM+ that doesn't always mean it will get a 9.8 grade, but look at the book I received with all the color breaks theres no way that was NM+ and Vincent even agreed

I just expect a book to be a solid 9.8 candidate if i'm buying a NM+ book. I'd like it to look NM+

nm is typically 9.4, nm+ is 9.6, nm-mint is 9.8. So someone selling nm+ being 9.6, there is often 2-3 obvious small spine ticks on a copy like that, per CGC slabbed copies.

Not Color Breaking ticks

Sure My 9.8 X Factor 6 has a 2 small dents but none break color

The books I got had dents that break color

Everyone has their own opinions on what a 9.8 book looks like

Sometimes even CGC messes up when grading. I have a lot of 9.8 CGC books and books that look like those are what I expect to receive when i'm buying high grade books

I'm talking higher than 9.2

A few small color breaking ticks are allowed in 9.6.

Yes 9.6 the book that started all this was " supposedly " A 9.8 which it clearly wasn't

some of the grades were off and others were on spot. Some might have been damaged during transit who knows. Either way things were resolved

You're missing the point.

It's not reasonable to "expect a book to be a solid 9.8 candidate if i'm buying a NM+ book" because NM+ is 9.6, not 9.8.

A third party said the book is X grade and thats generally accepted as the grade

It just makes things easier. If i'm spending big money, i'd take the word of CGC over someone who's selling me the book any day of the week

I get when you buy a raw book that says NM+ that doesn't always mean it will get a 9.8 grade, but look at the book I received with all the color breaks theres no way that was NM+ and Vincent even agreed

I just expect a book to be a solid 9.8 candidate if i'm buying a NM+ book. I'd like it to look NM+

nm is typically 9.4, nm+ is 9.6, nm-mint is 9.8. So someone selling nm+ being 9.6, there is often 2-3 obvious small spine ticks on a copy like that, per CGC slabbed copies.

Not Color Breaking ticks

Sometimes even CGC messes up when grading. I have a lot of 9.8 CGC books and books that look like those are what I expect to receive when i'm buying high grade books

Yes 9.6 the book that started all this was " supposedly " A 9.8 which it clearly wasn't

some of the grades were off and others were on spot. Some might have been damaged during transit who knows. Either way things were resolved

It's not reasonable to "expect a book to be a solid 9.8 candidate if i'm buying a NM+ book" because NM+ is 9.6, not 9.8.

the book on the first page is NM/M as were a few other books I sent back

I get NM+ is 9.6 I was speaking in general

I wasn't saying that every NM+ book I buy should automatically grade at 9.6

Not Color Breaking ticks

No offense intended, but based on the pre-screen results you posted in this thread, what makes you so sure that it's Metro's grading that's off and not yours?

Not Color Breaking ticks

No offense intended, but based on the pre-screen results you posted in this thread, what makes you so sure that it's Metro's grading that's off and not yours?

Like I said in the other thread seeing as how I never even looked through the books a 50/50 prescreen isn't bad

If you look back a page or 2 you'll see the Owner of Metro even said himself a few of the books were off in grade. It happens to even the most seasoned professional. I'm defiantly in no way saying i'm a better grader than they are.

You guys all want to see an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=49358&enlarge=0

Does anyone know if there is a production issue with this comic? I recently saw a couple on eBay that were otherwise HG, but had the top staple popped, and then I just saw this one today on here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7478406Post7478406