• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB Threads...

101 posts in this topic

Thread krappers are the biggest problem.

Define "thread krappers" in your opinion?

Personally I find the incessant "great book" or "GLWTS" or "I wish I could buy, but I am low on funds" or "someone buy this before I do" far more annoying that when someone actually asks about details or comments that a price is too high. I think we are a little too hard on people when they have a desire to call sellers/buyers out on BS in public.

I do too sometimes, but those are the Board Rules.

Boyscout.

:baiting:

But seriously I know, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. It is likely best that those are the rules; however, I do think there could be room for more moderation in times where blatant thievery and deception are being used.

Personally I find the incessant "great book" or "GLWTS" or "I wish I could buy, but I am low on funds" or "someone buy this before I do" far more annoying that when someone actually asks about details or comments that a price is too high. I think we are a little too hard on people when they have a desire to call sellers/buyers out on BS in public.

Boyscout.

But seriously I know, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. It is likely best that those are the rules; however, I do think there could be room for more moderation in times where blatant thievery and deception are being used.

"More moderation" is what the mods don't want! lol They don't want to have to wade through the threads deciding what's legit and what's not, so they prohibit it all. I post all my griping in the Discussion Thread with links to sales threads. It makes me feel better.

And for the threads that turn out to be naked thievery, they usually devolve into nothing but sanctioned threadcrapping, so there's that fun too. :)

Boyscout.

"More moderation" is what the mods don't want! lol They don't want to have to wade through the threads deciding what's legit and what's not, so they prohibit it all. I post all my griping in the Discussion Thread with links to sales threads. It makes me feel better.

And for the threads that turn out to be naked thievery, they usually devolve into nothing but sanctioned threadcrapping, so there's that fun too. :)

Not a fan of 1984…? (shrug)

I too have griped in Discussion threads about sales as well (most times I don't even link the sales thread directly) and I have gotten major for that from some boardies as well. In some cases it has been "very experienced" individuals who are like: " don't on their thread, they can charge whatever they want." Which I agree with, as long as they are not justifying it with lies or deception or just straight-up BS. The rush to defend on here sometimes for arbitrary or downright ignorant points can be very inconsistent.

Anyway we digress, the point of this thread was mostly to complain about unrealistic Buyers, not villainous sellers.

:kidaround:

This is a message board, a community of people who all have the same interest in mind. When someone puts up a book for sale and people comment positively with "glwts, great book! I wish I could buy etc "... IMO it's always welcomed! , as it's form of promotion of said item/book , as well some people truly like seeing and praising these items :)

As for the comments about certain specific details of the item/book. They are never frowned upon , however about price, the seller can ask for whatever price he/she wants. If the price is too high the item will not sell regardless . And if it does. That's on the buyer/seller. But one things for sure , you won't hear anyone say the piece is too low in a threadcrapping rant 2c (unless it's a scam, which we've seen too often of late)

To negatively comment that a said price is "too high" is none of their business and not needed in public . If it's too bothersome to handle, A simple PM to the seller is all that's needed

Done with my rantrant ... Have a great Sunday all! ;)

This is a message board, a community of people who all have the same interest in mind. When someone puts up a book for sale and people comment positively with "glwts, great book! I wish I could buy etc "... IMO it's always welcomed! , as it's form of promotion of said item/book , as well some people truly like seeing and praising these items :)

As for the comments about certain specific details of the item/book. They are never frowned upon , however about price, the seller can ask for whatever price he/she wants. If the price is too high the item will not sell regardless . And if it does. That's on the buyer/seller. But one things for sure , you won't hear anyone say the piece is too low in a threadcrapping rant 2c (unless it's a scam, which we've seen too often of late)

To negatively comment that a said price is "too high" is none of their business and not needed in public . If it's too bothersome to handle, A simple PM to the seller is all that's needed

I appreciate the post and enthusiasm at its core. But I can't help but find your post a little idealistic and a little contradictory. By definition of a public forum then any and commentary is permitted. Specifically you cannot preclude negative (or perceived negatives) commentary because you don't like them. To be fair, if someone feels a price is good and wants to post, why is it unfair if I feel the opposite and want to share that?

Not arguing to change the rules here, just pointing out the duplicitous nature of your post and the framework as stated.

I appreciate the post and enthusiasm at its core. But I can't help but find your post a little idealistic and a little contradictory. By definition of a public forum then any and commentary is permitted. Specifically you cannot preclude negative (or perceived negatives) commentary because you don't like them. To be fair, if someone feels a price is good and wants to post, why is it unfair if I feel the opposite and want to share that?

Not arguing to change the rules here, just pointing out the duplicitous nature of your post and the framework as stated.

Because it creates bad blood and headaches for the mods.

FYI - the fact that there is a predisposition to protecting the "seller" on this site is not lost on me. The many active members use this site to sell books (for income, for collecting, for whatever). The reality is that in the rest of the market (for the most part) the protection is flipped and policies are created in the best interest of the "buyer." Since there is no central body responsible for this cite tied to the sales, there is no need to maintain customers and thus the flip in disposition.

My final point would be that maybe (just maybe) we have tilted a little too far in favor of the seller. That's all.

Sure. But that doesn't make the situation unfair, just bothersome.

FYI - the fact that there is a predisposition to protecting the "seller" on this site is not lost on me. The vast majority of active members use this site to sell books (for income, for collecting, for whatever). The reality is that in the rest of the market (for the most part) the protection is flipped and policies are created in the best interest of the "buyer." Since there is no central body responsible for this cite tied to the sales, there is no need to maintain customers and thus the flip in disposition.

My final point would be that maybe (just maybe) we have tilted a little too far in favor of the seller. That's all.

You think the vast majority of Boardies use this site to sell comics? I bet it's less than 20% that do any regular selling...maybe less than 10%.

FYI - the fact that there is a predisposition to protecting the "seller" on this site is not lost on me. The vast majority of active members use this site to sell books (for income, for collecting, for whatever). The reality is that in the rest of the market (for the most part) the protection is flipped and policies are created in the best interest of the "buyer." Since there is no central body responsible for this cite tied to the sales, there is no need to maintain customers and thus the flip in disposition.

You think the vast majority of Boardies use this site to sell comics? I bet it's less than 20% that do any regular selling...maybe less than 10%.

Ok, I amend the point. I cannot forecast the actual quantity one way or the other.

Let's just say that enough do to make the point valid. I would also state that the longer you have been a member the more likely you are to have sold something here and that some of the most active members definitely do.

I always figured GLWTS was code for "your books are overpriced, inaccurately graded or they will never sell because you bundled a bunch of random issues together that nobody wants." A sarcastic good luck with that as you roll your eyes and walk away.

I always figured GLWTS was code for "your books are overpriced, inaccurately graded or they will never sell because you bundled a bunch of random issues together that nobody wants." A sarcastic good luck with that as you roll your eyes and walk away.
:eyeroll: yup!

FYI - don't you think it is humorous that this behavior is condoned (if not rewarded with multiple discussions an joint shared frustration) when referring to places outside of the boards (i.e. complaining about a sale on eBay that is blatantly unfair or ridiculous or shilling at auctions, misrepresentation on Craigslist, etc), but is scorned on here?

Fantastic luck with the WTB threads here on the boards. Yes I have had some outrageous for sale prices given to me... but they have been more than offset by fair offers.

Combine fair offers plus the fact that I'm pretty easy to get along with... equals win-win for me ;)

The trick to a successful WTB thread is for the buyer to not expect to buy something for nothing... and for the seller not to expect to sell at 20 - 30% more than it's worth.

In 2013, I had successful WTB transactions for...

CREATURES ON THE LOOSE #30 CGC 9.6

DEAD OF NIGHT # 11 CGC 9.6

GIANT SIZED CREATURES # 1 CGC 9.4

A Spanish CREEPY # 51 :o

... and about 9 copies of X-MEN # 94 :grin:

I can say this... as a buyer, you should put forth what you are willing to pay and back that number up with sales logic (GPA, current eBay transactions, past CL sales).

I also say as a buyer, even with the past sales data and above criteria at your disposal... be willing to bend a little. Here is where you have to remember to have control as I said "bend a little" ... not "bend over". ;)

Matter o' fact.... My X-Men # 94 WTB thread

FYI - don't you think it is humorous that his behavior is condoned (if not rewarded with multiple discussions an joint shared frustration) when referring to places outside of the boards (i.e. complaining about a sale on eBay that is blatantly unfair or ridiculous or shilling at auctions, misrepresentation on Craigslist, etc), but is scorned on here?

Wait, who's behavior? Are we talking about someone in particular?

As for the eBay kvetching, I've thought about that, and I've decided it's not contradictory. We're allowed to complain about boards sales threads, just not in the thread itself. Much complaining about specific threads, complete with links, happens in the discussion thread. This is the same as complaining about eBay listings, as that complaining is not happening in the actual listing.

:eyeroll: yup!

GLWTS is similar to (thumbs u ... it's either serious or sarcastic, and you just have to guess how it's aimed at you. :)

I have tried to utilize the WTB section but with no success. Especially since the last few books ive purchased on ebay haven't panned out well.

And because of the time difference, I always seem to miss out on the books im after.

I always do my homework regarding the books im chasing and would have no problem paying FMV for them

But all i seem to get are people offering it for at least double what they usual go for.

(As someone has mentioned, there's really no point trying to negotiate here and I will just politely decline it)

I guess in this case, most people here will look at a members post count and assume that the buyer's either not serious or stupid. (shrug)

FYI - don't you think it is humorous that his behavior is condoned (if not rewarded with multiple discussions an joint shared frustration) when referring to places outside of the boards (i.e. complaining about a sale on eBay that is blatantly unfair or ridiculous or shilling at auctions, misrepresentation on Craigslist, etc), but is scorned on here?

Wait, who's behavior? Are we talking about someone in particular?

As for the eBay kvetching, I've thought about that, and I've decided it's not contradictory. We're allowed to complain about boards sales threads, just not in the thread itself. Much complaining about specific threads, complete with links, happens in the discussion thread. This is the same as complaining about eBay listings, as that complaining is not happening in the actual listing.

Sorry, typo: his = this. As in the behavior itself. Sorry, not enough coffee today!

Your point is valid, but I have been "wrist slapped" before for doing it. My point was that we do not treat it as equal in the eyes of the boards.

But you are not wrong, we are allowed at this point.