• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Warriors Club

45 posts in this topic

While I've never collected New Warriors slabs, I was a fan of the original series when it came out. The early stuff was great but it did go downhill after a while. I kept on collecting it and then it really picked up for the final story arc and I have good memories of it ending on a high with a lot of loose ends being wrapped up.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming relaunch as it looks more like the original series than other relaunches have and it's going to be written by Chris Yost.

While I've never collected New Warriors slabs, I was a fan of the original series when it came out. The early stuff was great but it did go downhill after a while. I kept on collecting it and then it really picked up for the final story arc and I have good memories of it ending on a high with a lot of loose ends being wrapped up.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming relaunch as it looks more like the original series than other relaunches have and it's going to be written by Chris Yost.

The series sort of died after issue #25 when to many new characters were introduced to replace the existing (and in my opinion) main characters. I have yet to read past issue #30.

I sure hope the new relaunch has the stuff and the original cast.

:wishluck:

As I already told Whetteon, I never fully liked the New Warriors. While I was attracted by the use of Nova and Namorita, the two characters (which should have been older than the other members), there were too many elements which made it "artificial" to me. Also, as I mentioned, Nicieza wrote almost like he did not know the character of Nova, so – after being disappointed by the Sphinx storyline (for which I had great expectations, having read as a kid the beautiful "Champions of Xandar" storyline in the pages of the Fantastic Four) I more or less dropped the book, or at least stopped reading it.

I think I have the few first issues drawn by Darick Robertson, which was good, but it was the writing by Nicieza which I found lacking.

Also, the way he portrayed Marvel Boy (Vance Astro) disappointed me: I went to read (or re-read?) the issue you told me, where he kills his father, and I really found it pretty poor, and not much consistent with the character. I am constantly confronted with what Steve Gerber did with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and although of course Marvel Boy is not what he would eventually become in the 30th century (Vance Astro), I can’t help but keep thinking of the Defenders Giant-Size #5, which is such an important issue for the character, as Steve Gerber defines him as a child:

GSD5_Vance.JPG

I have found, however, some pleasing ideas developed within the series, like the super-villain group of Psionex, which was very original, especially Pretty Persuasions, Coronary and Asylum.

But then Nicieza went on and helped Rob Liefeld in plotting (and ultimately ruining forever) the New Mutants, so I could no longer forgive him… :P

The series sort of died after issue #25 when to many new characters were introduced to replace the existing (and in my opinion) main characters. I have yet to read past issue #30.

Yeah, it was after # 25 when the main big plot of Night Thrashers origin and the ongoing storyline of Tai and Chord were resolved that the series became somewhat directionless and also the artwork was often a lesser quality. There were a few good times but it never got back on track until near the end. If you haven't read the last several issues of the series then I recommend you give them a try.

The upcoming relaunch will have Speedball and Justice as well as the new Nova. I wish they'd just bring back Richard Rider, his last ongoing was a great series and contained some great character development.

Yeah, it was after # 25 when the main big plot of Night Thrashers origin and the ongoing storyline of Tai and Chord were resolved that the series became somewhat directionless and also the artwork was often a lesser quality. There were a few good times but it never got back on track until near the end. If you haven't read the last several issues of the series then I recommend you give them a try.

The upcoming relaunch will have Speedball and Justice as well as the new Nova. I wish they'd just bring back Richard Rider, his last ongoing was a great series and contained some great character development.

And this is why I can't get excited. It's not the original team but various flavorings of said team and after reboots you'd think they would understand this. Oh well. :P

And this is why I can't get excited. It's not the original team but various flavorings of said team and after reboots you'd think they would understand this. Oh well. :P

To me the most important thing is that they've got a good writer and Yost is a favourite of mine. I've got a better feeling about this one than I had about the previous three NW series.

Didn't they do something stupid with Speedball...? Like turn him into a totally different character? I may be remembering this wrong....

Anyways, I really enjoyed this team growing up. I remember reading those two Thor issues over and over again.

Didn't they do something stupid with Speedball...? Like turn him into a totally different character? I may be remembering this wrong....

Anyways, I really enjoyed this team growing up. I remember reading those two Thor issues over and over again.

Penance. I thought it was an interesting concept and a highlight of the Civil War (others/most will probably disagree). Clearly, it's not a character viable for long term success, there's only so much you can do with that concept. Here's the lowdown from Marvel.com

"Robbie has always been a New Warrior at heart. Even when the team seemed to be on a long hiatus, he and Nova helped re-form the Warriors to defeat Blastaar, adding new members Aegis and Bolt. Robbie and Nova even tried to pitch the New Warriors as an animated series, but they were forced to flee when they saw the producers’ unique take on the team. Nevertheless, Speedball returned when the New Warriors were led by Night Thrasher into a unique re-branding as a reality-TV show. Robbie’s bouncy personality seemed a perfect fit despite the contentions of other teammates, and the team hit the road to become heroes for the common man throughout small-town America. Recently the New Warriors encountered Nitro, Speedfreek, Cobalt Man, and Coldheart and during the battle that followed Nitro used his power and caused a massive explosion killing the New Warriors and almost everyone around that area for an unknown distance. Speedball was seemingly killed during this explosion and was later ridiculed by TV talk show hosts.

Speedball was later found alive (albeit barely), his powers apparently burned out. The media and the authorities made him the scapegoat for the Stamford disaster, which had sparked widespread anti-superhero sentiment and prompted the passing of a law requiring superheroes to register with the authorities. The government decided to make an example of Robbie, holding him without bail or trial while he was abused repeatedly by both guards and fellow inmates. His secret identity leaked to the press, hated by the public, disowned by his parents after he refused to admit to any wrongdoing, Robbie was offered a deal: he would be released if he became a government-registered super-hero, helping train other super-agents and hunting down unauthorized super-heroes. Robbie turned down the deal repeatedly on principle and was later shot by vigilante Mr. Stricker, whose daughter had died at Stamford.

Narrowly surviving, Robbie soon discovered that he still had energy powers, but they were now fueled by his own physical pain, such as the near-constant pain of the bullet fragments lodged in his spine. Perhaps somewhat unhinged by this situation, and increasingly haunted by guilt regarding his role in the Stamford disaster, Robbie agreed to register after foiling a jailbreak by several super-criminals, asking only that Stricker be pardoned in exchange for his registration. No longer caring about anything except making himself suffer, Robbie also agreed to become a hero-hunting government super-agent. He did so in his new guise as Penance, wearing an armored costume whose spikes constantly pierce his own flesh, augmenting both his pain and his power."

Penance%28Baldwin%29_Head2.jpg

Namorita was a favourite of men from the original NW series but they killed her at the beginning of Civil War. :cry:

Later on there was a version of her from an alternate timeline stranded in the 616 universe I the Nova series a while back. At the end of the series, Nova was apparently killed and Namorita has been completely forgotten ever since.