• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of. ........ suggestions.

48 posts in this topic

But there are a number of collectors who have tunnel vision just on modern era or silver age etc. I think type works the best and I am open to expanding the categories by type. I just don't want to go overboard.

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 6 categories

Yep, that made me think I could pick five things and put them in any of the six categories.

Then the description is correct. The Best of is ONLY for 5 entries per person not 30.

O, sweet! Never mind then. :blush:

5 votes for the three big categories is my only request.

5 votes for the three big categories and adding the Illustration category are my only requests. Any further breakdown makes things unnecessarily complicated IMO. 2c

1)Increasing votes from 3 each category to 5.

I am open to that for the big categories Covers, splashes/pinups, panels and Commissions which get around 100 entries each. Though for the smaller ones strips (28 entries this year) and con drawings (43 entries) 5 votes seems too much.

I think the votes should be increased to five across the board. Nobody needs to use all five votes in any category, so why not have the option for those who would like more than three?

Didn't participate this year but intend to next year. I was surprised by the overall number of votes (top cover won with only 27 votes, with next at 15 votes, etc.) so I would say give more votes for the bigger categories (and for the voting detractors (who e.g. say only the most expensive, most well known pieces get votes), that might also translate to giving less universally known pieces some more votes.

given some of the ? maybe ? controversy, how about NOT showing the vote count afterwards, maybe here are the top 5 and their votes, then all the others that received a vote but not their count, just in alphabetical order (shrug)

Like the idea of 5 votes per category

I also like the idea of if you could just click "add to Lowery" from you current CAF gallery. Would be a lot easier than finding the scans, re-entering the info etc

thanks for doing this, and very classy to ask for feedback on what you are doing (worship)

given some of the ? maybe ? controversy, how about NOT showing the vote count afterwards, maybe here are the top 5 and their votes, then all the others that received a vote but not their count, just in alphabetical order (shrug)

Like the idea of 5 votes per category

I also like the idea of if you could just click "add to Lowery" from you current CAF gallery. Would be a lot easier than finding the scans, re-entering the info etc

thanks for doing this, and very classy to ask for feedback on what you are doing (worship)

Showing the top 5 and their counts and not the votes the other pieces received wouldn't address the complaints about the high end pieces getting the most votes. it would put the top 5 on a bigger pedestal. I like to see which pieces just got a single or a few votes. Many of mine are included in there.

About the add to Lowry option in the Best of. That would be up to Bill Cox. Bill has done a fantastic job in setting up the Lowry for Best of. It was something that was brought over from comicart-l. Since not everyone who enters the Best of is a Premium member (I hope most are), I want to limit the amount of work I ask of Bill to make any changes to the Best of.

I am still taking suggestions. Many dealing with more votes and or categories will not be too much additional work for Bill if he agrees to the changes. I want to stay away from complicated changes or new features.

But there are a number of collectors who have tunnel vision just on modern era or silver age etc. I think type works the best and I am open to expanding the categories by type. I just don't want to go overboard.

How about splitting the categories up by genre?

Separating superhero from non-superhero art, for example . . .

Another line that might be a bit vague. Would you want to split 5 categories (strips don'tt have much superhero art)?

I am leaning towards splitting commissions off by itself and creating just an "other" category which could then include what doesn't fall into the other 6 categories plus any non-comic art like illustration and rock potter art.

Perhaps it is because the $ aspect of the hobby is a bit taboo - but what about having the categories be by price - people who like panels, can vote for panels etc.

Not sure what exact divisions should be but I'd have the top one not be too high or people may not post the expensive stuff.

This system would give every piece of art a good shot at getting some votes and shed some light on overall preferences by type.

Since these pieces are to be acquired in that year peple should be able to place them in the appropriate category easily enough

Free

Under $100

Under $500

Under $1000

Under $5000

> $5000

Something along these lines

A hybrid option would be traditional categories for pieces under say $2,500 and all the pricey stuff in a single category.

I enjoy it pretty much as it is, but I would split commissions out and rework the definition of convention "sketch."

Re: Commissions

I'd use one of the two Unpublished slots for commissions and the other for everything else.

Re: Convention Sketches

I think the rules should state that they were drawn by the artist at the show - no pre-con arranged pickups.

For example, I put my Perez Raven/Trigon piece in commissions because its only connection to Comicpalooza was that George had a pre-con list and I was there to pick it up. Basically, a commission with con pickup; not a con sketch.

To be more specific:

1) This is the result of a pre-con commission list by George Perez and picked up at the con.

Perez,%20George%20-%20Raven%20and%20Trigon.jpg

2) This (Grogg!) was done during the show by Art Adams with the work split between hotel room and the con.

G.jpg

Probably something that's already been considered, but any thought to breaking the categories up into commonly accepted eras (Golden, Silver, Bronze, etc)?

Bit of a variation on the break-up by price idea that's been floated, but just a thought.

But how do you know where to breakdown the eras? How many do you have? Golden, Silver, Bronze, Dark, lead, modern? Too crazy. The current ones I still get questions on where a piece goes.

It doesn't have to get too granular, and there's clearly a general consensus on where the broad eras fall timewise and the owners know when their purchases were published. Gold, Silver, Bronze, Modern. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Five votes per broad category, gives you essentially one vote per era with a wild card fifth vote across any era in that category.

Just spitballin' on this one.

I agree 100%

Perhaps it is because the $ aspect of the hobby is a bit taboo - but what about having the categories be by price - people who like panels, can vote for panels etc.

Not sure what exact divisions should be but I'd have the top one not be too high or people may not post the expensive stuff.

This system would give every piece of art a good shot at getting some votes and shed some light on overall preferences by type.

Since these pieces are to be acquired in that year peple should be able to place them in the appropriate category easily enough

Free

Under $100

Under $500

Under $1000

Under $5000

> $5000

Something along these lines

A hybrid option would be traditional categories for pieces under say $2,500 and all the pricey stuff in a single category.

I like this suggestion as well.

I enjoy it pretty much as it is, but I would split commissions out and rework the definition of convention "sketch."

I'd use one of the two Unpublished slots for commissions and the other for everything else.

I think the rules should state that they were drawn by the artist at the show - no pre-con arranged pickups.

For example, I put my Perez Raven/Trigon piece in commissions because its only connection to Comicpalooza was that George had a pre-con list and I was there to pick it up. Basically, a commission with con pickup; not a con sketch.

To be more specific:

1) This is the result of a pre-con commission list by George Perez and picked up at the con.

2) This (Grogg!) was done during the show by Art Adams with the work split between hotel room and the con.

G.jpg

+1

It is a bit unclear what constitutes a "convention sketch", but I don't think a con pick up is the same as getting on an artist's list at the con and getting the sketch completed in the con's timeframe. Although, I will caveat that there are some artists that do pre-con sketches and they make it very clear that it's convention quality and not studio quality, that could be a potential gray area.

If this interpretation had been in place, my McTeigue Katniss would've been out and my Brooks Daenerys would've still been in.

1. Make the number of votes allowed be determined by the # of entries, with a min of 3 and max of 5. This will take into account dividing any categories now and in the future.

2. Dividing big categories in three major era categories: (a) GA & SA, (b) BA & Copper, © Modern

--Jim

P.S. This was my first year to enter, and also my first year to vote.

Another line that might be a bit vague. Would you want to split 5 categories (strips don'tt have much superhero art)?

I am leaning towards splitting commissions off by itself and creating just an "other" category which could then include what doesn't fall into the other 6 categories plus any non-comic art like illustration and rock potter art.

I'd certainly like to see superhero art be separated in the covers and interior pages categories (which are heavy in this content). I feel some collectors gravitate towards superhero characters they love, regardless of the artistic merit of the pieces. 2c

If this interpretation had been in place, my McTeigue Katniss would've been out and my Brooks Daenerys would've still been in.

I think we need a new category for Extreme-convention-sketches like your Brooks Daenerys - how dare an artist spend so much quality con time on one piece! :baiting:

To be more specific:

G.jpg

I agree with Alex's take on this. On a side note George isn't doing any pre-con pieces this year! :cry: