• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS postage increases

34 posts in this topic

No worries!

Will a slab fit in the Regional Rate 'A' box? I see the 1092 is too wide - here are the dimensions the USPS site gives:

Med F-R box - 13-5/8x11-7/8x3-3/8"

Reg. Rate 'A' - 12-13/16x10-15/16x2-3/8

EDIT - I just measured one of my slabs - 12-7/8x8-1/8x3/8" (modern slab) - seems like it might be too tight of a squeeze to get a slab in a Reg. Rate 'A' box...

-slym

No worries!

Will a slab fit in the Regional Rate 'A' box? I see the 1092 is too wide - here are the dimensions the USPS site gives:

-slym

I've tested the Regional Rate A out with my usual wrapping and the slab w/ padding is a tad too tall for the RR A box. Putting one RR A box over another might work, though.

No worries!

-slym

I've tested the Regional Rate A out with my usual wrapping and the slab w/ padding is a tad too tall for the RR A box. Putting one RR A box over another might work, though.

Good idea - with the Flat Rate box, weight isn't an issue.

:applause:

-slym

No worries!

-slym

-slym

Thanks (thumbs u

No worries!

-slym

I've used regional A boxes within medium priority boxes successfully for a couple of years.

I use either small bubbles bubble wrap or medium bubbles bubble wrap to wrap slab and have never had a complaint.

Before I forget, Fedex medium boxes work the same as regional A boxes. I seem to recall that UPS' mediums did not but could be wrong as Fedex is easily accessible to me so I usually just go with them.

I'm calculating a package right now for 2 lbs from MA to CA and it is coming out as $9.97. (shrug)

Online price, yeah. Some people still go to an actual post office to pay for postage without the discount.

If you're not selling much then it makes sense to just go to the Post Office and pay the little extra.

I bought a scale that USPS sells and try as much as I can to do everything online to cut the shipping costs.

May look into the Flat Rate boxes for shipping heavy stuff. Right now the 1095's and the size that's smaller (don't know the number) works well for me for slabbed books.

For raw it varies from boxes that fold into pretty rigid envelope type boxes or bigger boxes for shipping a bunch of raw books at once.

Haven't found a good method for shipping like a long box full of comics at once.

I don't know how to pack that many comics securely.

I'm calculating a package right now for 2 lbs from MA to CA and it is coming out as $9.97. (shrug)

Online price, yeah. Some people still go to an actual post office to pay for postage without the discount.

If you're not selling much then it makes sense to just go to the Post Office and pay the little extra.

I would think, large-scale seller or small, doing all you can to stay away from the PO would be better. No gas used, no time driving (or riding public transportation) to and fro, no hassle with the lines... just print, tape, and hand to the mailman when he shows up.

-slym

That's, BTW, what the Regional Rate Box A price cross country is. There's no discount online for Regional Rate Box A, which kind of blows. So I fill that sucker up.

So, to follow up on this... After quite a few tries to get Amazon to listen to what I was saying and not try to blow me off, they have fixed the problem and are now charging the correct rate for cross country USPS Priority Mail packages. It turns out they just display rates given to them by their supplier - I assume it is Pitney Bowes but they would not say. Whomever it was had made an error with the rates when they changed a few weeks ago.

Amazon customer support credited me for bringing the issue to their attention. That and $5 will get me a cup of coffee.

post your ebay userid so I can go ahead and ban you.

edit: Retracted - looks like my information from the page where I purchase labels for Amazon.com sales is incorrect. Amazon is the problem, not the USPS. Rates on 2 pound coast-to-coast packages went up about a dime.

Today marks a shift in postal rates... It costs over $12 to send a 2 pound Priority Mail package coast to coast in the US. The rate for the Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Box is now cheaper.

But, the Parcel Post service has been made useful again for light coast-to-coast packages. Before these changes it was only useful for heavier items.

So expect a lot more flat rate boxes and Parcel Post. If you are a seller you may need to adjust some settings... :-)

edit: Retracted - looks like my information from the page where I purchase labels for Amazon.com sales is incorrect. Amazon is the problem, not the USPS. Rates on 2 pound coast-to-coast packages went up about a dime.

Today marks a shift in postal rates... It costs over $12 to send a 2 pound Priority Mail package coast to coast in the US. The rate for the Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Box is now cheaper.

But, the Parcel Post service has been made useful again for light coast-to-coast packages. Before these changes it was only useful for heavier items.

So expect a lot more flat rate boxes and Parcel Post. If you are a seller you may need to adjust some settings... :-)

post your ebay userid so I can go ahead and ban you.

Because he made a small mistake, caught it, and corrected himself?

:facepalm:

Go ahead and give me your eBay ID, so I can block you.

-slym (fixed your post, BTW)

No worries!

-slym

-slym

Tried the RR A inside a modified RR A box this weekend. It didn't work out too well. Back to the drawing board. Maybe smaller packing materials as suggested previously.